L Beck

Default Clay cooking

We did something different this year. There's just the two of us, so we
decided to do cornish hens. They're always good no matter how they're
prepared, but upon checking out the clay cookery cook book we decided to try
one of the recipes found there. It was super simple. If you've never tried
clay cooking, you should. The pot might be a bit spendy, but it's worth it.
But you must know that it's a "no peek" cooking.

This recipes was nothing more than salt, pepper and nutmeg sprinkled over
the hens, then roasted garlic and herb flavored cream cheese spooned into
the cavities of the birds. A little melted butter over the top, put the
clay top on, then in a cold oven. Turn heat on to 450 degrees for 1 1/4
hours. Remove cover for additional 10 minutes cooking.

We've never tasted anything quite so scrumptious (that's yummy with a
capital Y). Dip the meat in the sauce made from the cream cheese blending
with the birds' cooking juices. Wonderful!!

I've only used this clay pot one other time and that was for another
Thanksgiving dinner. It was a chicken breast rollup with mushrooms. Also
very good and very moist.

I don't think I'm gonna let hubby put it away this time. I think we'll just
have to try other clay cooking treats. Do you know you can even to desserts
and soups in it?

Anyone else have any good cooking hints or recipes with clay pot cooking?

LB

D.Currie

"L Beck" > wrote in message

<snip>

> I don't think I'm gonna let hubby put it away this time. I think we'll

just
> have to try other clay cooking treats. Do you know you can even to

desserts
> and soups in it?
>
> Anyone else have any good cooking hints or recipes with clay pot cooking?
>
> LB

I've got a clay bread pan that I used a few times and put away. Never really
excited about it at all. Do you imagine I could use that for casseroles or
whatever? It doesn't have a lit, but maybe cover it with foil or something?

L Beck

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "L Beck" > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
> >
> > I don't think I'm gonna let hubby put it away this time. I think we'll

> just
> > have to try other clay cooking treats. Do you know you can even to

> desserts
> > and soups in it?
> >
> > Anyone else have any good cooking hints or recipes with clay pot

cooking?

> > LB
> >

> I've got a clay bread pan that I used a few times and put away. Never

really
> excited about it at all. Do you imagine I could use that for casseroles or
> whatever? It doesn't have a lit, but maybe cover it with foil or

something?

I don't know about that. Most of the recipes I've seen say to cover with
the clay lid, place in a cold oven, then bring up to temperature. Not sure
if the foil would do the trick or not. Only one way to find out, I guess,
unless someone else have more knowledge of this.

D.Currie

"L Beck" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >
> > "L Beck" > wrote in message
> >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > I don't think I'm gonna let hubby put it away this time. I think

we'll
> > just
> > > have to try other clay cooking treats. Do you know you can even to

> > desserts
> > > and soups in it?
> > >
> > > Anyone else have any good cooking hints or recipes with clay pot

> cooking?
> > >
> > > LB
> > >

> > I've got a clay bread pan that I used a few times and put away. Never

> really
> > excited about it at all. Do you imagine I could use that for casseroles

or
> > whatever? It doesn't have a lit, but maybe cover it with foil or

> something?
> >

> I don't know about that. Most of the recipes I've seen say to cover with
> the clay lid, place in a cold oven, then bring up to temperature. Not

sure
> if the foil would do the trick or not. Only one way to find out, I guess,
> unless someone else have more knowledge of this.

An experiment might be in order, and if it works well, maybe I'll buy a real
one that will fit more food. I'm certainly not using this thing for bread.

Maria

"L Beck" > wrote in message

....snip...

Do you know you can even to desserts
> and soups in it?

Anyone else have any good cooking hints or recipes with clay pot cooking?

> LB

A really scrummy clay pot recipe is the French "Poulet aux 40 gousses d'Ail"
(Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic) - a Google search should come up with
several good ones.

I would advise using a second clay pot for cooking desserts - clay pots
absorb cooking aromas. Unless of course you like garlic-flavored rice
pudding!

Hope this helps

Maria

Sergio

Yoy can cook anything in a clay pot if it the inside is glazed.

A glazed pot will not absorb cooking aromas, I used one to make Baccala',
and anyone knows that Baccala' has a strong aroma, and as Maria stated it
is
a good utensil for roast chicken, (my wife won't let me use 40 cloves of
garlic)

Sergio