Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Clay product

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sun 14 Jun 2009 07:12:05p, Dee Randall told us...
>
>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>
>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
>> made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
>> that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
>> made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
>> and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.
>>
>> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using
>> it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in
>> China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead
>> content. [I realize politically and geographically that China and
>> Taiwan are different.]
>>
>> This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise
>> for it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or
>> Taiwan.
>>
>> DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different
>> than ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products made
>> here in the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in Mexica,
>> AFAIK.
>>
>> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use.
>> I guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dee Dee

> Given that these are for bread, no? I doubt that you have anything to
> worry about.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I ate 4 slices of bread last night and had leg cramps during the ngiht.
But on further thought, I think it must've been the wine I consumed along
with it. :-))

BTW, I followed the instructions as I usally do for first time use of
anything, even though it goes against my 'years-of-experience.'
I shouldn't have done that. The bread stuck and we had to scrape it off -
the corn meal 'might have' helped, but didn't work.

With anything else stone when baking bread, I have never put dough on top of
a cold stone, which is what Williams-Sonama recipe said to do.
What a crock - !! I can really get stupid sometimes.

Dee Dee