Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Clay product

On Mon 15 Jun 2009 02:48:16p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>>> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>>
>>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
>>> made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
>>> that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
>>> made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
>>> and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

>> I'm sure that was a mis-print, too. What it was supposed to say was
>> that it was "Made by Taiwaneese" in Ohio.
>>
>> Ohio has a bunch of pottery places in and around central Ohio. But
>> you, as did we, noticed that much of the stuff was imported even though
>> they advertise local handmade pottery.
>>
>> -sw

> Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
> Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
> http://steuben.com/
>
> No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>
> Which leaves me wondering to this day.
>
> Dee Dee
> born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

Steuben is a division of Corning Glass in Corning, NY. They've been in
production in Corning since 1903. I have several of their art pieces, two
inscribed bud vases, and a set of 6 wine glasses.

Back in the late 1960s I was gifted with one of the bud vases and I bought
its companion vase. Each is inscribed with a Robert Browning phrase.
Curious if they are still in the collection, I just looked them up on the
Steuben website. You could have knocked me off my chair with a feather...
Each vase cost $85 when purchased in the late 1960s. They now sell for
$650 each. (I must be more careful when cleaning.) <g>

http://steuben.com/acb/product2.cfm?product=1530

--
Wayne Boatwright
Food without wine is a corpse; wine without food is a ghost; united