Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Copper cookware

I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands, but
I also ran across copper pans. That got me thinking, copper is expensive,
but is it truly the best? I don't mind spending a few bucks more for a once
in a lifetime buy.

Brands I've looked at on the web so far are Ruffoni, Mauviel, Bourgeat.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Tinned versus stainless?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 01:52:32 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands, but
>I also ran across copper pans. That got me thinking, copper is expensive,
>but is it truly the best? I don't mind spending a few bucks more for a once
>in a lifetime buy.
>
>Brands I've looked at on the web so far are Ruffoni, Mauviel, Bourgeat.
>
>Any thoughts? Suggestions? Tinned versus stainless?

For me, copper is worth the price. One major reason is quicker response to heat
changes.

Tinned pans are much cheaper, and they respond even quicker than ss-lined
copper, but you probably don't want to mess with tinned pans because they
require extra care to avoid overheating and melting the tin, they can be damaged
by steel utensils, there may be health concerns, and tinning can be both
expensive and a hard service to find. I have a place that does tinning a mile
away (La Cuisine), and I still wouldn't have a tinned pan.

The minor negatives I see to copper are maintenance (not a problem for me, but
then I don't insist on shiny copper bottoms, either), weight, and the fact that
all the copper saute pans I know of have riveted handles, and those rivet heads
are a small pain-in-the-butt when making things like risotto. Oh, and they're
not of any use should you switch to induction in the future.

IMO, it pays to buy the heaviest gauge copper you can find for a saute pan.
Dehillerin, in Paris, stocks copper saute pans from 2.0 mm to 3.5mm. I bought
the 3.5 mm 12-inch, 4-inches deep, and lugged that mama home in my suitcase --
well worth the effort, as it's my favorite pan. I also have two 3 mm 8-inch
copper sautes, and they're probably the most frequently used pans in our
kitchen.

Another point I find interesting: the stainless interior of my French ss-lined
copper pans cleans up much, much easier than any of my All Clad or Tramontina
pans. Maybe the ss is of higher quality, or better polished -- never have
figured out why.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands, but
> I also ran across copper pans. That got me thinking, copper is expensive,
> but is it truly the best? I don't mind spending a few bucks more for a once
> in a lifetime buy.
>
> Brands I've looked at on the web so far are Ruffoni, Mauviel, Bourgeat.
>
> Any thoughts? Suggestions? Tinned versus stainless?

If looks are more important to you than cooking performance *and* you
are lazy, avoid Cu like poison. I, myself, have *never* polished my Cu
pans and they look like it.

I have three Cu saute pans, two 10" round and very heavy. The other is
light, oblong and only used for dishes going into the oven destined for
presentation.

The round pans' handles are riveted though, the oblong is blind riveted.
All are nickel lined. Unless you are allergic to nickel (which is very
rare) I think that is the way to go. The SS/Cu pans I have seen look
like they have a flash of Cu on a SS pan. That is just annoying because
you have the look and care of Cu and none (or nearly none) of the
advantages. The pans I have are primarily Cu with Ni plating (95Cu/5Ni,
I would guess), so they really act like copper pans.

My everyday pans are Magnalite, so the advantages to me of the high
conductivity of Cu are relatively minor, but for anything I want to cook
that demands high heat for searing followed by low heat for finishing,
Cu is marginally better. I use Cu for scallops, squid and shrimp, primarily.

I also have a 2L, thin Cu pot. A complete waste of the $5 I paid for it.
I only use it if it is the right size, or it is the only clean pot left:-)

YMMV

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

> Tinned pans are much cheaper, and they respond even quicker than ss-lined
> copper, but you probably don't want to mess with tinned pans because they
> require extra care to avoid overheating and melting the tin, they can be
> damaged
> by steel utensils, there may be health concerns, and tinning can be both
> expensive and a hard service to find. I have a place that does tinning a
> mile
> away (La Cuisine), and I still wouldn't have a tinned pan.

Getting a saute pan tinned is about $50 plus freight from what I've seen.
I'm leaning to the SS though as I think it may be less likely to have a
problem from heating. I like the traditional hammered pan such as the Opera
series from Ruffoni, but the SS just seems more practical. Ruffoni has the
Modern line but I've not seen anyone selling it yet.

> The minor negatives I see to copper are maintenance (not a problem for me,
> but
> then I don't insist on shiny copper bottoms, either), weight, and the fact
> that
> all the copper saute pans I know of have riveted handles, and those rivet
> heads
> are a small pain-in-the-butt when making things like risotto. Oh, and
> they're
> not of any use should you switch to induction in the future.

Just bought a new Bertazoni gas range so no chance of changing to induction
unless propane is no longer available. Ir the price hits $20 a gallon.

> IMO, it pays to buy the heaviest gauge copper you can find for a saute
> pan.
> Dehillerin, in Paris, stocks copper saute pans from 2.0 mm to 3.5mm. I
> bought
> the 3.5 mm 12-inch, 4-inches deep, and lugged that mama home in my
> suitcase --
> well worth the effort, as it's my favorite pan. I also have two 3 mm
> 8-inch
> copper sautes, and they're probably the most frequently used pans in our
> kitchen.

Does the 3.5 mm come with a block and tackle to lift it? Probably too heavy
for my wife. Most of what I've seen is 2.5.

Thanks for the reply

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> The round pans' handles are riveted though, the oblong is blind riveted.
> All are nickel lined. Unless you are allergic to nickel (which is very
> rare) I think that is the way to go. The SS/Cu pans I have seen look like
> they have a flash of Cu on a SS pan. That is just annoying because you
> have the look and care of Cu and none (or nearly none) of the advantages.
> The pans I have are primarily Cu with Ni plating (95Cu/5Ni, I would
> guess), so they really act like copper pans.

I'm not considering the All Clad copper because you get all the work and
just an exterior coating. I can find plenty of work without polishing
copper every day. Mine will probably look like yours over time.

Thanks for the reply
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat 09 Aug 2008 10:52:32p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands,
> but I also ran across copper pans. That got me thinking, copper is
> expensive, but is it truly the best? I don't mind spending a few bucks
> more for a once in a lifetime buy.
>
> Brands I've looked at on the web so far are Ruffoni, Mauviel, Bourgeat.
>
> Any thoughts? Suggestions? Tinned versus stainless?

I can't offer you comparisons of the brands, Ed, but I have a very old
Mauviel omelette pan with a tinned interior that I really love. I think
current production is lined in stainless steel. This is the only pan I own
that I hand wash.

Date: August(VIII) 10th(X),2008(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
3wks 3hrs 49mins
Heute die Welt, Morgens das Sonnensystem!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 10, 12:52 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands....

You might like these:

http://www.falkculinair.com/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands,
> but I also ran across copper pans. That got me thinking, copper is
> expensive, but is it truly the best? I don't mind spending a few bucks
> more for a once in a lifetime buy.
>
> Brands I've looked at on the web so far are Ruffoni, Mauviel, Bourgeat.
>
> Any thoughts? Suggestions? Tinned versus stainless?
> --
> Ed

Ed, curious about your post and future purchase, I decided to read a little
about copper pans.

Fantes (www.fantes.com) says this about tinned lined copper pans.

"Our tin lined pans are lined by hand, and will display some brush strokes
as a result. Lining by hand insures thicker coats of tin, that will last
much, much, much longer than pans that are electroplated."

Fantes must be referring to "Mauviel" copper pans, as that is the only
brand I see they cover.
So, if you decide on tinned vs. ss, Mauviel might be the answer for you.

However, since I am unknowledgeable regarding this, maybe most good copper
pans are all 'lined by hand." ??

Dee Dee