Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Why is copper cookware so expensive?

I read somewhere that copper cookware is so expensive because of the
high demand for copper in electrical wiring, precisely because of its
excellent conductivity. Can anyone tell me if they've heard the same
explanation, or better yet, point out a reputable source that states
that? If the information I have is completely off, I'd appreciate it if
someone else could share another explanation for why copper cookware is
so expensive.

Thanks lots!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I read somewhere that copper cookware is so expensive because of the
> high demand for copper in electrical wiring, precisely because of its
> excellent conductivity. Can anyone tell me if they've heard the same
> explanation, or better yet, point out a reputable source that states
> that? If the information I have is completely off, I'd appreciate it if
> someone else could share another explanation for why copper cookware is
> so expensive.
>
> Thanks lots!

Copper is so expensive because the Chinese is building like mad in China.
New high rises, industrial plants and commercial projects and all other
infrastructures are going up everywhere at the same time! Consequently, not
only the Chinese has a high demand for copper but building material and
energy (gas and oil) as well. Thanks to our trading agreement they are
buying with our American dollars. On a larger scale, you will see prices go
up way in excess of the accepted 3.5% inflation rate - I think realistically
it's more like 15%! Time to update your retirement portfolio before
inflation kills you. So hold on to your copper pans, this is just the
beginning, the second wave will be from India. Just my guess.

Copper has doubled in price in the past few months and almost caught up with
stainless steel. Amazing! I heard the recyclers paid copper somewhere in the
ballpark of $5/lb., here anyway! That's why so much copper material are
stolen in jobsites even on existing installations form the likes of wiring
from electrical cables, plumbing tubing, HVAC lines, you name it. And one
guy got killed trying to remove a live overhead electrical line. It doesn't
help when we have so many thieves and drug heads here in America. This is
just my observation and I could be all wrong.

I have a feeling why you paid $300 for a $20 copper pan is not so much as
the rise in copper prices as you are paying for the designer brand name
recognition. Perhaps the same reason you paid $10,000 for a range where you
could get the real professional one for $2,500. Why copper cookware so
expensive? How do I know, I don't even cook. Rip-off marketing like
everything else?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Robert Klute" > wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2007 17:18:51 -0800, wrote:
>
>>I read somewhere that copper cookware is so expensive because of the
>>high demand for copper in electrical wiring, precisely because of its
>>excellent conductivity. Can anyone tell me if they've heard the same
>>explanation, or better yet, point out a reputable source that states
>>that? If the information I have is completely off, I'd appreciate it if
>>someone else could share another explanation for why copper cookware is
>>so expensive.

> Copper goes for about $2.50/lb and tin for $5.40/lb, Aluminum alloy for
> $1.00/lb, steel sheet is about $0.35/lb.
>
> Aluminum has a density of 0.098 lb/cu-in.
> Iron is 0.284 lb/cu-in.
> Copper 0.324 lb/cu-in.
>
> Just looking at the materials Copper + tin would cost almost 4 times as
> much for the same size and thickness pan and Iron would cost just a
> little more.
>

> However, the cost of manufacture is very much different.

In a way, the difference in the cost of materials is insignificant. Say a
copper pan weighs 5 pounds and the aluminum one 2.5 pounds. The materials
would cost $12.50 for the copper, $2.50 for the aluminum. The cost of the
copper is at the background noise level on a $200-$300 pan.

The more important factors are cost of labor and economy of scale. A copper
pan made in France compared to a aluminum pan made in China might have a 10
to 1 difference in labor cost. The economy of scale, both in manufacturing
and distribution would also be enormous. A relatively small factory in
France vs. a huge one in China, combined with selling through essentially
specialty shops for copper cookware vs. mass marketers for aluminum
cookware. In many, if not most products, the costs along the distribution
chain far exceed the manufacturing costs.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote:
> I've always wondered since it needs re-done often, if there isn't
> something reaction between cooking in cooper and the toxic factor to
> humans? Or is this a myth?

Copper cookware can react with foods. That's why most copper cookware is
lined. It used to be lined with tin, a very soft metal with a low melting
point. Tin lined copper cookware has to be periodically relined because it
wears off. Most of the common copper cookware today is lined with an
extremely thin sheet of stainless steel, which should last a lifetime.

For some cookware applications, copper can be used unlined. I have a
zabaglione pan that is an example of this.

Copper is of course used unlined in lots of non-cooking applications. Copper
plumbing has been commonly used for about 60 years now without problems.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:03:21 GMT, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:

>For some cookware applications, copper can be used unlined. I have a
>zabaglione pan that is an example of this.

Another is the unlined copper bowls available for KitchenAid mixers, intended
specifically for massaging egg whites.

-- Larry