Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Copper cookware

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

> Tinned pans are much cheaper, and they respond even quicker than ss-lined
> copper, but you probably don't want to mess with tinned pans because they
> require extra care to avoid overheating and melting the tin, they can be
> damaged
> by steel utensils, there may be health concerns, and tinning can be both
> expensive and a hard service to find. I have a place that does tinning a
> mile
> away (La Cuisine), and I still wouldn't have a tinned pan.

Getting a saute pan tinned is about $50 plus freight from what I've seen.
I'm leaning to the SS though as I think it may be less likely to have a
problem from heating. I like the traditional hammered pan such as the Opera
series from Ruffoni, but the SS just seems more practical. Ruffoni has the
Modern line but I've not seen anyone selling it yet.

> The minor negatives I see to copper are maintenance (not a problem for me,
> but
> then I don't insist on shiny copper bottoms, either), weight, and the fact
> that
> all the copper saute pans I know of have riveted handles, and those rivet
> heads
> are a small pain-in-the-butt when making things like risotto. Oh, and
> they're
> not of any use should you switch to induction in the future.

Just bought a new Bertazoni gas range so no chance of changing to induction
unless propane is no longer available. Ir the price hits $20 a gallon.

> IMO, it pays to buy the heaviest gauge copper you can find for a saute
> pan.
> Dehillerin, in Paris, stocks copper saute pans from 2.0 mm to 3.5mm. I
> bought
> the 3.5 mm 12-inch, 4-inches deep, and lugged that mama home in my
> suitcase --
> well worth the effort, as it's my favorite pan. I also have two 3 mm
> 8-inch
> copper sautes, and they're probably the most frequently used pans in our
> kitchen.

Does the 3.5 mm come with a block and tackle to lift it? Probably too heavy
for my wife. Most of what I've seen is 2.5.

Thanks for the reply