Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin Matthew L. Martin is offline

Default Copper cookware

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a good sauté pan. I've considered a few brands, but
> I also ran across copper pans. That got me thinking, copper is expensive,
> but is it truly the best? I don't mind spending a few bucks more for a once
> in a lifetime buy.
>
> Brands I've looked at on the web so far are Ruffoni, Mauviel, Bourgeat.
>
> Any thoughts? Suggestions? Tinned versus stainless?

If looks are more important to you than cooking performance *and* you
are lazy, avoid Cu like poison. I, myself, have *never* polished my Cu
pans and they look like it.

I have three Cu saute pans, two 10" round and very heavy. The other is
light, oblong and only used for dishes going into the oven destined for
presentation.

The round pans' handles are riveted though, the oblong is blind riveted.
All are nickel lined. Unless you are allergic to nickel (which is very
rare) I think that is the way to go. The SS/Cu pans I have seen look
like they have a flash of Cu on a SS pan. That is just annoying because
you have the look and care of Cu and none (or nearly none) of the
advantages. The pans I have are primarily Cu with Ni plating (95Cu/5Ni,
I would guess), so they really act like copper pans.

My everyday pans are Magnalite, so the advantages to me of the high
conductivity of Cu are relatively minor, but for anything I want to cook
that demands high heat for searing followed by low heat for finishing,
Cu is marginally better. I use Cu for scallops, squid and shrimp, primarily.

I also have a 2L, thin Cu pot. A complete waste of the $5 I paid for it.
I only use it if it is the right size, or it is the only clean pot left:-)

YMMV

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even