Old 27-12-2005, 03:51 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

Default sub for peanut oil in turkey fryer?

What oil would be the best substitute for peanut oil in a turkey fryer?
We're having a deep fried turkey for New Year's and one of the people coming
is allergic to peanuts.

Ms P

Old 27-12-2005, 05:29 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.

Old 27-12-2005, 05:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"ms_peacock" wrote in message
What oil would be the best substitute for peanut oil in a turkey fryer?
We're having a deep fried turkey for New Year's and one of the people
coming is allergic to peanuts.

Ms P

That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also out.
Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things.

Ms P

Old 27-12-2005, 06:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor

"ms_peacock" wrote in message
"That's what I figured. He's also allergic to corn so corn oil is also out.
Poor dude is allergic to all sorts of things."

Some people have allergies so severe they can have a reaction to food
prepared on a surface which has come into contact with their trigger food.
How well seasoned is your fry pot in peanut oil? Whenever I'm in doubt
about the severity of an allergy, I recommend the fruit cup to such people.
You'd be surprised how many back peddle the severity of their "supposed"
allergy to minor or just dislike for some aspect of the item served.

I find allergies are one of the most misused gastronomique claims people use
to get what they want. The people who misuse allergies to feed their own
petulant picky tastes create a real danger to those who have genuine and
dangerous allergies. Remember! You can't be helpful or cautious with
genuine allergies. It's lucky that helpful and cautious double as severe
and tight with the people trying to manipulate your menu with their
supposedly "severe" allergies.

Ms P

Old 27-12-2005, 07:08 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:29:00 -0800, "Kent" wrote:

Probably Canola oil would be my choice. It can take a higher temp. without
breaking down. It has very little taste, as opposed to peanut oil. Another
option, and possibly a bit less expensive is Corn oil.

Generally I can find canola oil for lower prices than corn oil. But
since ms. peacock's friend is also allergic to corn, that's moot.

Canola's definitely a good all-round oil.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Old 27-12-2005, 07:19 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pete C.

"D. Winsor" wrote:

"ms_peacock" wrote in message
[...]

I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
landing area for the medivac heli.

I'm only half joking on this too, recall the recent death in Canada from
peanut allergy. At some point someone will be sued because they kissed
someone they knew to have a peanut allergy after having had a Snickers
bar earlier in the day.

Pete C.
Old 27-12-2005, 07:31 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"D. Winsor" wrote in message

"ms_peacock" wrote in message
[...]

He can walk into a McDonalds and tell if they're using peanut oil in the
fryer. There's one here he can't eat at because they use peanut oil.

I know exactly how severe his allergies are, he's my oldest kid.

The fry pot is brand new and has never had any oil of any kind in it and
will never have either peanut or corn oil in it.

Ms P

Old 27-12-2005, 07:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
ms_peacock

"Pete C." wrote in message
"D. Winsor" wrote:

"ms_peacock" wrote in message
[...]

It's tough when it's your own kid not to "host" him.

He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them because
he's picky and didn't like them.

We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done with
canola that's what we'll do.

Ms P

Old 28-12-2005, 03:38 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

ms_peacock wrote:

We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be
done with canola that's what we'll do.

Canola will work just fine. You can pick up 35# of canola "fryer shortening"
at costco for a pittance.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 28-12-2005, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Pete C. wrote:

I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
landing area for the medivac heli.

I have maybe 2 folks a month who will come into the store and want me to
list all of the ingredients I use in order to rule out the potential of a
food allergy reaction. I always tell them that I don't have time to
accomodate their request ( I really don't). I tell them -- in a very polite
fashion -- that, due to their risk level, it would be best to not eat there.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 28-12-2005, 04:11 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:44:24 -0800, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

I recommend that you refrain from hosting people with such severe
multiple allergies, the risk is too great. If you must, make sure you
have a good personal liability "umbrella" insurance policy and a clear
landing area for the medivac heli.

I have maybe 2 folks a month who will come into the store and want me to
list all of the ingredients I use in order to rule out the potential of a
food allergy reaction. I always tell them that I don't have time to
accomodate their request ( I really don't).

Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
issue.

Old 28-12-2005, 04:21 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

"Pete C." wrote in message
"D. Winsor" wrote:

"ms_peacock" wrote in message

snip a bunch here

It's tough when it's your own kid not to "host" him.

He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them because
he's picky and didn't like them.

We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done with

canola that's what we'll do.

Ms P

You can get by easily with canola oil Ms P. I do it all the time. I fry
many of the common items including chicken and french fries in
my benchtop Krupps deep fat fryer filled with canola oil. After each
fry, I drain the oil into a tightly capped jug for use again later. Remember
that oil exposed to the air will rapidly deteriorate into an unuseable
product. Also, while canola oil is originally a poly-unsaturated oil,

prolonged exposure to heat turns it toward a saturated oil . While
it never actually solidifies, it nevertheless takes on the bad
characteristics
of saturated fat.
--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Old 28-12-2005, 04:56 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Denny Wheeler wrote:

Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
issue.

This may sound cold, but I don't WANT them to eat at my place. Someone who
is *that* "allergic" becomes a liability suit waiting to happen.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 28-12-2005, 08:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:56:12 -0800, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Denny Wheeler wrote:

Could you maybe print something up and have it available for such
folks? I hate to have you lose business--and I do fully grasp the
issue.

This may sound cold, but I don't WANT them to eat at my place. Someone who
is *that* "allergic" becomes a liability suit waiting to happen.

Doesn't sound cold; it's a good point.

Old 28-12-2005, 09:13 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ms_peacock" wrote:
[ . . . ]

He's allergic to, cinnamon, milk, chicken, peanuts, crab, strawberries,
eggs, and corn. And believe me, he didn't quit eating any of them
because he's picky and didn't like them.

We'd just like to fry a turkey he's not allergic to. If it can be done
with canola that's what we'll do.

Jeez, he's gonna have a tough row ta hoe. I hope he doesn't discover any
other allergies along the way, like cranberry sauce! How is he with butter
or clarified butter? Any cheeses OK? Hope y'all enjoy yer fried turkey.

Happy New Year!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

oil-less turkey fryer Moe Jones Barbecue 9 07-09-2007 02:41 PM
Peanut Oil in Canada for Turkey Deep fryer [email protected] General Cooking 9 09-08-2005 07:41 PM
Turkey Fryer Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 26 09-11-2004 07:40 PM
turkey fryer StocksRus® Barbecue 17 27-08-2004 06:54 AM
Turkey Fryer Aria Barbecue 9 18-11-2003 11:54 PM