Old 17-08-2004, 03:21 PM
StocksRus®

"tgodiver" wrote in
:

Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it
from the propane tank?

Get the adapter.

--
StocksRus®

Old 17-08-2004, 04:41 PM
StocksRus®

"tgodiver" wrote in
:

what kind of adapter? I have a coupler fitting that will fit on the
inlet pipe. Is that the adapter you are talking about?

Thanks
StocksRus® wrote in message
50...
"tgodiver" wrote in
:

Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using
it from the propane tank?

Get the adapter.

--
StocksRus®

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would contact the manufacturer of the
fryer and get the adapter from them. I have a nieghbor that nearly burnt
his deck down by trying to rig it himself.
--
StocksRus®

Old 17-08-2004, 05:00 PM
tgodiver

Default turkey fryer

Old 17-08-2004, 06:20 PM
tgodiver

what kind of adapter? I have a coupler fitting that will fit on the inlet
pipe. Is that the adapter you are talking about?

Thanks
StocksRus® wrote in message
50...
"tgodiver" wrote in
:

Old 17-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Xanath

"tgodiver" wrote in message
Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it

from
the propane tank?

You have to change the jets on the fryer.
Nateral gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.
So the jets will have different sized orifaces (holes-can't spell).
Other than that it will work fine.

Old 18-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Dick Wiegand

tgodiver wrote:

what happens when you use the same jets as before?

Xanath wrote in message

The reason you have to change the orifice (which meters/limits the gas flow)
is due to the fact that propane has a higher BTU value (available heat) than
natural gas. If you don't change the orifice, you will limit the burner
(starve) and effectively derate the BTU rating (heat output).

Two things in gas flow to remember. Propane and natural gas both have
regulators to reduce the pressure coming from the tank or street
respectively. When a gas applicance is designed, the metering of the fuel is
jetted (i.e. diameter of the orifice) to achieve the design BTU output at a
given fuel supply pressure.

All adjustment from that point on is done with the air shutter (found on all
gas burning devices, to control the air/fuel mixture to ensure proper
balance, and optimum fuel use.

Most propane distributors, or you local supplier of natural gas should be
able to provide help, or let you know who has what you need in your area.

Dick

Old 18-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Xanath

That's what I said.

In a dumb sort of way.

Old 18-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Xanath

That's what I said.

In a dumb sort of way.

Old 19-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Bolivar

tgodiver wrote:

Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
the propane tank?

No!

Propane gas is heavier than natural gas, and therefore requires more
pressure.
And they also require different orifices to achieve the same BTU point.
You will have to adjust/change the pressure regulator.
You will have to change the orifices, depending on what the BTU rating
of your burner is.

Since you are trying to go from propane (heavier - higer regulator
pressure) to natural, if you do not adjust/change the reuglator, you
will create a dangerous oversupply of gas .

You will need to ascertain the BTU rating of your burner from the
literature, or the manufacturer, and then change orifices to the
appropriate size. The manufacturer should be able to supply the size
information (and maybe the actual orifices), or a commercial (restaurant
kitchen) supply/service company should have a chart for the orifice size
needed for either gas at any BTU rating. And they will probably have
them.

Boli

Old 20-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:52:40 -0400, Bolivar wrote:

tgodiver wrote:

[...]

Not quite, Boli
All that needs to be done is to get the gas guys to drill out the
venturii orifice to the correct size or better yet buy a replacement -
the part is cheap and if you want to revert back to LPG, all that will
need to is to swap venturii.

Nat Gas does not require the use of a regulator. It's correctly
pressurized when it comes off the line.

Harry