Aria

Default Turkey Fryer

My husband is intent on buying a turkey fryer. It sounds rather gross to me
to fry one but have heard that they are delicious. Wouldn't it add a ton
more calories to the turkey? Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking
chicken in a fryer? I am having trouble imagining what it would be like.
Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

Reg

Aria wrote:

> Wouldn't it add a ton
> more calories to the turkey?

Not if cooked properly. The oil should be at 325 F minimum. If it goes lower
for very long the meat will absorb oil. This is true for all deep frying.

> Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking chicken in a fryer?

You'll definetely get crispy skin by frying.

> Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

I'll take a properly smoked turkey any day. Deep frying is trendy and
overrated IMO. That said, I'll be frying one this Thanksgiving. Not because
it creates some sort of unique taste sensation, but because the oven where
I'm cooking will be used for other things that day.

BOB

Reg typed:
> Aria wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it add a ton
>> more calories to the turkey?

> Not if cooked properly. The oil should be at 325 F minimum. If it goes lower
> for very long the meat will absorb oil. This is true for all deep frying.
>
>> Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking chicken in a fryer?

> You'll definetely get crispy skin by frying.

And a nice mahogony like color.

>> Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

> I'll take a properly smoked turkey any day. Deep frying is trendy and
> overrated IMO. That said, I'll be frying one this Thanksgiving. Not because
> it creates some sort of unique taste sensation, but because the oven where
> I'm cooking will be used for other things that day.

Where is your smoker, Reg? In My not so Humble Opinion, smoked is much better.

Aria,
Just make sure all the directions are followed. Among them, but definately *not
all* a
Don't use the fryer indoors, not even in the garage.
Make sure the surface that you put it on is fire proof.
Place the turkey in the pot and cover the turkey with water.
Remove the turkey and mark the level of the water.
Remove the water and dry the pot.
Fill the pot to no more than this pre-measured line with oil.
Heat the oil following the directions that came with the fryer.

BOB

Reg

BOB wrote:

> Reg typed:

>>I'll take a properly smoked turkey any day. Deep frying is trendy and
>>overrated IMO. That said, I'll be frying one this Thanksgiving. Not because
>>it creates some sort of unique taste sensation, but because the oven where
>>I'm cooking will be used for other things that day.

> Where is your smoker, Reg?

The smoker will stay at home, and I'll be cooking at someone else'e
house... for a group that doesn't favor smoked foods. I know, I don't
get it either.

> In My not so Humble Opinion, smoked is much better.

No question about it. IMO most people who think fried turkey is superior
think so only because they've only had dried, overcooked, or otherwise
poorly prepared turkey.

Jack Schidt®

"Aria" > wrote in message
> My husband is intent on buying a turkey fryer. It sounds rather gross to

me
> to fry one but have heard that they are delicious. Wouldn't it add a ton
> more calories to the turkey? Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking
> chicken in a fryer? I am having trouble imagining what it would be like.
> Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

I prefer smoked myself, but ya gotta try the deep fried, if for nothing else
to get the bug outta your system. Fried turkey takes about an hour, is
moist and tender, crisp skinned and isn't at all greasy. It's very good, I
just feel that smoked is better.

Jack

Jon Endres, PE

"Aria" > wrote in message
> My husband is intent on buying a turkey fryer. It sounds rather gross to

me
> to fry one but have heard that they are delicious. Wouldn't it add a ton
> more calories to the turkey? Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking
> chicken in a fryer? I am having trouble imagining what it would be like.
> Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

Tried one once, it is very good. Not greasy if cooked properly. Yes it
will be crispy just like fried chicken.

Oddly enough, I prefer either fried or normally roasted (not smoked) bird.
I smoked mine last year in my Kamado, and while others loved it, I wasn't
too thrilled with the taste. It was cooked perfectly, juicy and tender, but
the smoke flavor was just "off".

Jon

jdoe

I've done 'em both ways and I can't say I prefer one over the other imo both
are better than in the oven birds. I may spin one on the genesis rotisserie
this year not sure. Cooking at my parents and my mother insists traditional
is the way to go. Rest of the family likes non-traditional better so we're
doing 2 smaller birds instead of one huge one. One will be traditional other
will be weber or fried. Frying is easy and fast (only about 3 min a pound)
only thing is to watch the oil temp and keep people/pets away from the pot
and DO IT OUTDOORS.
Larry
"Aria" > wrote in message
> My husband is intent on buying a turkey fryer. It sounds rather gross to

me
> to fry one but have heard that they are delicious. Wouldn't it add a ton
> more calories to the turkey? Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking
> chicken in a fryer? I am having trouble imagining what it would be like.
> Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

Aria

I really appreciate everyone's input...Thanks.

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> I've done 'em both ways and I can't say I prefer one over the other imo

both
> are better than in the oven birds. I may spin one on the genesis

rotisserie
> this year not sure. Cooking at my parents and my mother insists

traditional
> is the way to go. Rest of the family likes non-traditional better so we're
> doing 2 smaller birds instead of one huge one. One will be traditional

other
> will be weber or fried. Frying is easy and fast (only about 3 min a pound)
> only thing is to watch the oil temp and keep people/pets away from the pot
> and DO IT OUTDOORS.
> Larry
> "Aria" > wrote in message
> > My husband is intent on buying a turkey fryer. It sounds rather gross to

> me
> > to fry one but have heard that they are delicious. Wouldn't it add a ton
> > more calories to the turkey? Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking
> > chicken in a fryer? I am having trouble imagining what it would be like.
> > Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

Greg Leman

"Reg" > wrote in message
om...
>> No question about it. IMO most people who think fried turkey is superior

> think so only because they've only had dried, overcooked, or otherwise
> poorly prepared turkey.

I agree that fried turkey is fine, but smoked is so much better. My turkey
fryer now sees duty as an oyster steamer.

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

Harry in Iowa

"Greg Leman" > held forth in
m:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> om...
>>> No question about it. IMO most people who think fried turkey is
>>> superior

>> think so only because they've only had dried, overcooked, or
>> otherwise poorly prepared turkey.
>>

> I agree that fried turkey is fine, but smoked is so much better. My
> turkey fryer now sees duty as an oyster steamer.
>

> --
> Greg Leman
> Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.
> http://www.carolinasauce.com
> A wide variety of sauces and specialty foods over the web.

I have a turkey fryer that hasn't seen any turkey much less any oil yet.
It has only been used for making beer. Maybe I'll try that this year.

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'