Default Peanut Oil in Canada for Turkey Deep fryer

Hi. I live in Halifax and recently purchased a tureky fryer. My problem
is that I cannot find a cheap source for peanut oil in Nova Scotia. I
need 3 galllons and all I can find is US companies that will sell it to
me but the shipping costs are high along with the exchnage rate. Does
anyone know of a bulk food company based in Canada that sells peanut
oil. Thank you.

Renee

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi. I live in Halifax and recently purchased a tureky fryer. My problem
> is that I cannot find a cheap source for peanut oil in Nova Scotia. I
> need 3 galllons and all I can find is US companies that will sell it to
> me but the shipping costs are high along with the exchnage rate. Does
> anyone know of a bulk food company based in Canada that sells peanut
> oil. Thank you.

I looked at peanut oil the other day in Albertson's. All I found were small
bottles that were incredibly expensive.

pavane

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi. I live in Halifax and recently purchased a tureky fryer. My

problem
> is that I cannot find a cheap source for peanut oil in Nova Scotia. I
> need 3 galllons and all I can find is US companies that will sell it

> me but the shipping costs are high along with the exchnage rate. Does
> anyone know of a bulk food company based in Canada that sells peanut
> oil. Thank you.

Take a walk through the Yellow Pages: look for a restaurant supply
store or an oriental foods supply store. Failing these, go to your
neighborhood oriental restaurant and ask where they buy it.

pavane

Bob (this one)

jmcquown wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>Hi. I live in Halifax and recently purchased a tureky fryer. My
>>problem is that I cannot find a cheap source for peanut oil in Nova
>>Scotia. I need 3 galllons and all I can find is US companies that
>>will sell it to me but the shipping costs are high along with the
>>exchnage rate. Does anyone know of a bulk food company based in
>>Canada that sells peanut oil. Thank you.

> There is no hard and fast rule which says you must use peanut oil to deep
> fry a turkey. You can use any vegetable oil as long as it can withstand the
> smoking point (and, it really should only be about 375F degrees once you add
> the turkey). Do not use olive oil (of course the cost of that would be
> prohibitive - think Canola or Safflower oil). Also, depending on the weight
> of the turkey (12-15 lbs.) you'll probably need closer to 5 gallons.
>
> To avoid potential disaster on your first attempt, fill the fryer pot with
> water to the same level you plan to fill with the oil. Then dunk something
> of equivalent weight to the turkey in the water. This is a safety check to
> make sure the fryer doesn't overflow with burning hot oil when you lower the
> turkey into hot oil in reality. Good luck and enjoy!

Suggestion for determining the amount of oil: Put the turkey into the
pot and pour water in to the frying level. Take out the turkey and
measure the amount of water in the pot. Dry the bird well before putting
it into hot oil.

Pastorio

Bob Myers

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> To avoid potential disaster on your first attempt, fill the fryer pot with
> water to the same level you plan to fill with the oil. Then dunk

something
> of equivalent weight to the turkey in the water.

Seemingly minor but important correction to that - it's not important that
the object dunked be the same WEIGHT as the turkey, but rather the
same VOLUME. I.e., it needs to displace the same amount of
liquid. If you've got a 15 pound bird, for example, and you were to
try to above with, say, a 15 lb. lead ingot, you are pretty sure to be
very rudely surprised when it comes time to dunk the bird in the hot oil.

But why not use the turkey itself for your dunk test? Assuming both
the water and the fryer are clean before you start, a brief dunk in
water isn't going to hurt anything (as long as you dry the turkey off
before it goes into the hot oil - which shouldn't be a problem, since
it's pretty much guaranteed here that the "dunk in hot oil" is still
some time away in that bird's future...)

Bob M.

jmcquown

Bob Myers wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> To avoid potential disaster on your first attempt, fill the fryer
>> pot with water to the same level you plan to fill with the oil.
>> Then dunk something of equivalent weight to the turkey in the water.

> Seemingly minor but important correction to that - it's not important
> that the object dunked be the same WEIGHT as the turkey, but rather
> the
> same VOLUME. I.e., it needs to displace the same amount of
> liquid. If you've got a 15 pound bird, for example, and you were to
> try to above with, say, a 15 lb. lead ingot, you are pretty sure to be
> very rudely surprised when it comes time to dunk the bird in the hot
> oil.
>
> But why not use the turkey itself for your dunk test? Assuming both
> the water and the fryer are clean before you start, a brief dunk in
> water isn't going to hurt anything (as long as you dry the turkey off
> before it goes into the hot oil - which shouldn't be a problem, since
> it's pretty much guaranteed here that the "dunk in hot oil" is still
> some time away in that bird's future...)
>
> Bob M.

Okay, but you and the *other* Bob understood my premise. Hopefully the OP
did, too

I will now expand my search for other oils (corn, canola) if I cannot
locate a restaurant supply
store or an oriental foods supply store in Halifax that sells peanut
oil. You are correct in that I do need around 4 gallons of oil. I
checked the pot and there is a mark for a 12 lb turkey and it took 4
gallons of water to reach that mark. Thanks for all that replied.

The only Sam's Club in Canada are in Ontario. We have Wall marts that
sell groceries so I wil try them. Thanks for the info.