Old 21-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Dave Bell

Hoges in WA wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
snipped

Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU or
UK,
given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention of
cocoa. :-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright **
snipped

Wayne:-

OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
where you are.

OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.

Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree? Doubt I
could get it down where I live.

Hoges in WA

Basically, unsweetened, powdered, baking cocoa. Needs added sugar and
fat in the recipe, to make it "chocolate".

Dave

Old 21-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Dave Bell

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Black Magic Cake

Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except for
coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk. I often
substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee in the
frosting.

Yes, the buttermilk adds a lot, and the richness of the coffee really
nails it. I've made this one, and an "ordinary" cocoa-based cake
(daren't call it "chocolate"!) the same day, and there's no comparison!

Dave
Old 21-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

[...]

I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I live
in Arizona, US.

Hershey's is just ordinary unsweetened cocoa powder. If you follow this
link, it explains the difference between ordinary cocoa and "dutched" cocoa.
I don't know what type is prevalent Australia.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/9-2-02.html

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 12:00:34 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 11:10:06p, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Black Magic Cake

Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except
for coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk.
I often substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee
in the frosting.

Yes, the buttermilk adds a lot, and the richness of the coffee really
nails it. I've made this one, and an "ordinary" cocoa-based cake
(daren't call it "chocolate"!) the same day, and there's no comparison!

Dave

Another substitute I often make, Dave, is light brown sugar for the
granulated sugar. It also adds another dimension of rich flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 12:01:25 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I
live
in Arizona, US.

My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up in the
NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.

Hoges in WA

Old 21-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 12:16:57a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I
live in Arizona, US.

My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up in
the NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.

Hoges in WA

Small world! I live SE of Phoenix in the desert, about 250 miles from
Golden Valley. The main route between the two is State Route 93, named the
Joshua Tree Forest Parkway.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 12:25:42 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sun 21 Aug 2005 12:16:57a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I
live in Arizona, US.

My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up in
the NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.

Hoges in WA

Small world! I live SE of Phoenix in the desert, about 250 miles from
Golden Valley. The main route between the two is State Route 93, named
the
Joshua Tree Forest Parkway.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

It is indeed. They live somewhere near a place called Kingman. I think
that Parkway runs alongside Golden Valley, or pretty close to it.

I haven't been there, though.
Hoges in WA

Old 21-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Roy

OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
where you are.

G'dday mate!

I already know that you are from Western Australia...either from the
Perth, Fremantle, or possibly Broome? Western Ausralia is such a big
area that was used by the British in the 1950s to test their nuclear
bomb prototyples during the cold war such as the infamous Maralinga
blast.
The WA is too obvious to confuse with Washington besides youa are
using SRF not cake flourw which should be the norm of household bakers
in the Amercian continent .
Regading Hershey replacement use any natural dark cocoa you can find
in Western Australian market; maybe Coles and Safeway have it.

Old 21-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 12:31:32a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up
in the NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.

Hoges in WA

Small world! I live SE of Phoenix in the desert, about 250 miles from
Golden Valley. The main route between the two is State Route 93, named
the Joshua Tree Forest Parkway.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

It is indeed. They live somewhere near a place called Kingman. I think
that Parkway runs alongside Golden Valley, or pretty close to it.

I haven't been there, though.
Hoges in WA

I have to admit that I haven't been there either. Kingman is quite near a
number of wonderful tourists destinations, however, that include the Grand
Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake havasu, Lake Mead, etc. I don't believe the
temperatures get quite as high as they do here.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 5:37:13 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Mr Libido Incognito

Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking

[...]

OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Old 21-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Hoges in WA

"Roy" wrote in message
oups.com...
OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
where you are.

G'dday mate!

I already know that you are from Western Australia...either from the
Perth, Fremantle, or possibly Broome? Western Ausralia is such a big
area that was used by the British in the 1950s to test their nuclear
bomb prototyples during the cold war such as the infamous Maralinga
blast.
The WA is too obvious to confuse with Washington besides youa are
using SRF not cake flourw which should be the norm of household bakers
in the Amercian continent .
Regading Hershey replacement use any natural dark cocoa you can find
in Western Australian market; maybe Coles and Safeway have it.

Hi Roy

Maralinga is a couple of thousand miles to the east in South Australia. Our
cold war tests were on the Monte Bello Islands a thousand or so north of me.

I live in the south west corner near the hook you can see on the map.

The reason for the tag is that in an Australian Football Newsgroup I am in
there was already a Hogan, from South Australia and we agreed to
differentiate.

Re the cocoa, I can get Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa (very British) - I just
needed to know if the Hershey's one had any unusual characteristics.

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter into
baking for me)

Old 21-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in rec.food.baking:

[...]

Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
acidity of Dutched cocoa.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 5:50:42 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:48:51a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Roy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No, Hershey's is just a very plain cocoa powder, nothing special. Your
Cadbury's is probably of better quality and flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 5:55:49 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 02:41 PM
graham

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:48:51a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Roy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm a Brit living in Canada who also lived for a while in Perth, WA. I've
used Hershey's, Cadbury's and Fry's and there's little difference. I was
once offered a job in Albany but I think Margaret River would have been
preferable;-)
Graham

Old 21-08-2005, 02:45 PM
graham

[...]

Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time you've
added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it doesn't matter
much which type you use.
Graham

cake question sf[_9_] General Cooking 25 22-06-2011 04:59 AM
Cake Glaze Question Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 5 28-05-2011 07:04 AM
Ground meat cake (was Strawberry Basket Cake Question) OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 0 05-05-2006 03:09 PM
A cake question [email protected] General Cooking 2 15-01-2006 05:39 AM
Eiser cake question [email protected] Baking 174 02-03-2005 09:15 PM