Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
> cake but am not exactly sure.
>

> This is the recipe
>
> 2 Cups SR Flour
> 4 Tablespoons of custard powder
> 1 cup of milk
> 2 cups of sugar
> 120g melted butter
> 4 eggs
> a few drops of vanilla depending on preference.
>
> Preheat oven to 180 degrees
> Beat all above together until creamy
>
> Cook for 40 minutes and test - it may still not be ready so reduce heat
> and cook until skewer comes out clean
>
> I think I have to reduce the custard powder and substitute like amount
> of cocoa powder but I am not certain.
>
> It was given to me ages ago - I have made it but it takes a long time to
> cook because it's a very wet mixture.
>
> Hoges in WA

I've not seen a recipe quite like this one. In most chocolate cakes using
cocoa, the flour is reduced to accomodate the cocoa powder. This would be
difficult here because it calls for SR flour. To make a good flavored
chocolate cake with cocoa, you need about 3/4 cup of the cocoa, far more
than you could substitute for the custard powder.

My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls for
cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM