Hoges in WA

Default Cake question

Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
cake but am not exactly sure.

This is the recipe

2 Cups SR Flour
4 Tablespoons of custard powder
1 cup of milk
2 cups of sugar
120g melted butter
4 eggs
a few drops of vanilla depending on preference.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Beat all above together until creamy

Cook for 40 minutes and test - it may still not be ready so reduce heat and
cook until skewer comes out clean

I think I have to reduce the custard powder and substitute like amount of
cocoa powder but I am not certain.

It was given to me ages ago - I have made it but it takes a long time to
cook because it's a very wet mixture.

Hoges in WA

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
> cake but am not exactly sure.
>

> This is the recipe
>
> 2 Cups SR Flour
> 4 Tablespoons of custard powder
> 1 cup of milk
> 2 cups of sugar
> 120g melted butter
> 4 eggs
> a few drops of vanilla depending on preference.
>
> Preheat oven to 180 degrees
> Beat all above together until creamy
>
> Cook for 40 minutes and test - it may still not be ready so reduce heat
> and cook until skewer comes out clean
>
> I think I have to reduce the custard powder and substitute like amount
> of cocoa powder but I am not certain.
>
> It was given to me ages ago - I have made it but it takes a long time to
> cook because it's a very wet mixture.
>
> Hoges in WA

I've not seen a recipe quite like this one. In most chocolate cakes using
cocoa, the flour is reduced to accomodate the cocoa powder. This would be
difficult here because it calls for SR flour. To make a good flavored
chocolate cake with cocoa, you need about 3/4 cup of the cocoa, far more
than you could substitute for the custard powder.

My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls for
cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM

Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

snipped

> My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
> for
> cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
> Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM

Thanks for the advice.

What's your recipe???

Hoges in WA

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 09:45:56p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>

> snipped
>
>> My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
>> for cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings
>> raves.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless
>> there are three other people.
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
>> Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM
>>

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> What's your recipe???
>
> Hoges in WA

This is a very old Hershey's recipe... Hope you like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Chocolate
Desserts

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Frosting

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in
large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer
2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into
prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

NOTES :
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake
35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round
baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared
pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from
pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 stick butter or margarine -- (1/2 cup)
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Add small amount additional milk, if needed.
Stir in vanilla.

Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.

Stir in vanilla extract.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 10:51:27 PM

Roy

>Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
>cake but am not exactly sure

Theortically its looks straight forward just llike how North Americans
think; a chocolate cake is any cake that can contain either any thing
that contains cocoa solids
but
It is not as simple as that in the country of OZ.... In Australian
standards which is patterned from British baking, a chocolate cake
should contain real chocolate in it.
Any cake that contains a cocoa powder or even compounded chocolate is
just called chocolate flavored cake.
Roy

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 06:26:20a, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

>>Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
>>cake but am not exactly sure

> Theortically its looks straight forward just llike how North Americans
> think; a chocolate cake is any cake that can contain either any thing
> that contains cocoa solids
> but
> It is not as simple as that in the country of OZ.... In Australian
> standards which is patterned from British baking, a chocolate cake
> should contain real chocolate in it.
> Any cake that contains a cocoa powder or even compounded chocolate is
> just called chocolate flavored cake.
> Roy

Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good "chocolate"
cakes make only with cocoa powder.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 7:51:07 AM

Dave Bell

Hoges in WA wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>>On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>

> snipped
>

>>My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
>>for
>>cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.
>>
>>--
>>Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>>My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
>>unless there are three other people.
>>

>>---
>>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
>>Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM
>>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> What's your recipe???
>
> Hoges in WA

Besides the one Wayne posted, here's another Hershey's recipe that
always gets raves for me. Caution: It's deadly rich, and addictive!

Dave

(I use a cup of freshly brewed, very strong, french roast.
The same goes well with the cake, later...)

Black Magic Cake

• 2 cups sugar
• 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
• 1 cup strong black coffee
OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
(Bleah!! DB)
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans
or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (Watch out for overflow with 13x9!)

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat
on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter
evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for
rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost
as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Roy

>Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good "chocolate"
>cakes make only with cocoa powder.

Wayne from the ordinary American way of thinking that may not be an
issue , but from the Standards of Identity as mandated by a particular
government rules IT IS NOT.
In the same way that in those countries if you had not attended their
bakery apprenticeship and did not pass their bakers qualification
program you are NOT considered a qualified baker so you will never
become a member of their bakers guild.
North Americans may think it as odd....but if you had lived in those.
Roy

Roy wrote:
> >Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good "chocolate"
> >cakes make only with cocoa powder.

> Wayne from the ordinary American way of thinking that may not be an
> issue , but from the Standards of Identity as mandated by a particular
> government rules IT IS NOT.
> In the same way that in those countries if you had not attended their
> bakery apprenticeship and did not pass their bakers qualification
> program you are NOT considered a qualified baker so you will never
> become a member of their bakers guild.
> North Americans may think it as odd....but if you had lived in those.
> Roy

"Anyone who thinks himself to be an expert, and therefore anyone who
differs from him to be wrong, is automatically wrong himself."

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 09:48:26a, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Hoges in WA wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>>On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>>

>> snipped
>>

>>>My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
>>>for cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings
>>>raves.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>>____________________________________________
>>>
>>>My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless
>>>there are three other people.
>>>

>>>---
>>>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>>Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
>>>Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM
>>>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>>

>> Thanks for the advice.
>>
>> What's your recipe???
>>
>> Hoges in WA

> Besides the one Wayne posted, here's another Hershey's recipe that
> always gets raves for me. Caution: It's deadly rich, and addictive!
>
> Dave
>
> (I use a cup of freshly brewed, very strong, french roast.
> The same goes well with the cake, later...)
>
> Black Magic Cake
>

> • 2 cups sugar
> • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
> • 3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
> • 2 teaspoons baking soda
> • 1 teaspoon baking powder
> • 1 teaspoon salt
> • 2 eggs
> • 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
> • 1 cup strong black coffee
> OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup
> boiling water
> (Bleah!! DB)
> • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>

> 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking
> pans
> or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (Watch out for overflow with 13x9!)
>
> 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder
> and
> salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat
> on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter
> evenly into prepared pans.
>
> 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for
> rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
> Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost
> as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.
>
> * To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1
> cup.

Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except for
coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk. I often
substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee in the
frosting.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 6:12:18 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 12:13:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

>>Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good
>>"chocolate" cakes make only with cocoa powder.

> Wayne from the ordinary American way of thinking that may not be an
> issue , but from the Standards of Identity as mandated by a particular
> government rules IT IS NOT.
> In the same way that in those countries if you had not attended their
> bakery apprenticeship and did not pass their bakers qualification
> program you are NOT considered a qualified baker so you will never
> become a member of their bakers guild.
> North Americans may think it as odd....but if you had lived in those.
> Roy

No offense, but... I fully understand what you're saying, but I don't
think we're really looking at professional bakers in reference to the OP's
request. Nor do most home bakers care much about what the government
defines as a cake. I wasn't offering the recipe as one that meets any
government standards, regardless of which country.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 6:16:22 PM

Roy

>No offense, but... I
Same with me Wayne,,,, it is just in those countries they have their
peculiarities..... that its contrary to what we are used to.

I am also very familiar with these cocoa flavored cakes and mixes
which in myyounger days I plainly called as chocolate cakes but when
I travelled to those down under countries they don't want to call
those items as chocolate cakes but something else...say mudcake is
one, and ..that is the commoon chocolate flavored cake in Australia..
When ever I made a specimen of dark cocoa based cakes ... the people
there immediately recognized is as .... mudcake,. NOT as chocolate
cake.
!
Roy

Roy

>"Anyone who thinks himself to be an expert, and therefore anyone who
>differs from him to be wrong, is automatically wrong himself."

are the one thinking so ..therefore
..if it differs in your opinion its automatically wrong....?<g>.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

>>No offense, but... I

> Same with me Wayne,,,, it is just in those countries they have their
> peculiarities..... that its contrary to what we are used to.
>
> I am also very familiar with these cocoa flavored cakes and mixes
> which in myyounger days I plainly called as chocolate cakes but when
> I travelled to those down under countries they don't want to call
> those items as chocolate cakes but something else...say mudcake is
> one, and ..that is the commoon chocolate flavored cake in Australia..
> When ever I made a specimen of dark cocoa based cakes ... the people
> there immediately recognized is as .... mudcake,. NOT as chocolate
> cake.

Clearly, yes, there is a difference, though not to say that either is not
good. I'm not that familiar with Australian baking, but I quite familiar
with baking in the UK. The bottom line for me, for this post, was that the
OP is in WA, not AU or UK, and was specifically asking for a way to convert
his "vanilla cake" using cocoa.

Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU or UK,
given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention of
cocoa. :-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 9:34:38 PM

Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
> snipped
>

> Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU or
> UK,
> given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention of
> cocoa. :-)
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> snipped

Wayne:-

OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
where you are.

OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.

Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree? Doubt I
could get it down where I live.

Hoges in WA

Dave Bell

Hoges in WA wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>>On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>snipped
>>

>>Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU or
>>UK,
>>given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention of
>>cocoa. :-)
>>
>>Cheers!
>>
>>--
>>Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>snipped

> Wayne:-
>
> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
> miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
> where you are.
>
> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>
> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree? Doubt I
> could get it down where I live.
>
> Hoges in WA

Basically, unsweetened, powdered, baking cocoa. Needs added sugar and
fat in the recipe, to make it "chocolate".

Dave
Dave Bell

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>Black Magic Cake

> Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except for
> coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk. I often
> substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee in the
> frosting.

Yes, the buttermilk adds a lot, and the richness of the coffee really
nails it. I've made this one, and an "ordinary" cocoa-based cake
(daren't call it "chocolate"!) the same day, and there's no comparison!

Dave
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
>> snipped
>>

>> Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU
>> or UK,
>> given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention
>> of cocoa. :-)
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>> snipped

> Wayne:-
>
> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
> miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending
> on where you are.
>
> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>
> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
> Doubt I could get it down where I live.
>
> Hoges in WA

I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I live
in Arizona, US.

Hershey's is just ordinary unsweetened cocoa powder. If you follow this
link, it explains the difference between ordinary cocoa and "dutched" cocoa.
I don't know what type is prevalent Australia.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/9-2-02.html

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 12:00:34 AM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 11:10:06p, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>>>Black Magic Cake

>> Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except
>> for coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk.
>> I often substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee
>> in the frosting.

> Yes, the buttermilk adds a lot, and the richness of the coffee really
> nails it. I've made this one, and an "ordinary" cocoa-based cake
> (daren't call it "chocolate"!) the same day, and there's no comparison!
>
> Dave

Another substitute I often make, Dave, is light brown sugar for the
granulated sugar. It also adds another dimension of rich flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 12:01:25 AM

Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

> I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I
> live
> in Arizona, US.

My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up in the
NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.

Hoges in WA

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 12:16:57a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>

>> I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I
>> live in Arizona, US.
>>

> My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up in
> the NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.
>
> Hoges in WA

Small world! I live SE of Phoenix in the desert, about 250 miles from
Golden Valley. The main route between the two is State Route 93, named the
Joshua Tree Forest Parkway.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 12:25:42 AM

Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 12:16:57a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat 20 Aug 2005 10:11:48p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>>

>>> I'm sorry... I took "WA" to mean the state of Washington in the US. I
>>> live in Arizona, US.
>>>

>> My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up in
>> the NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.
>>
>> Hoges in WA

> Small world! I live SE of Phoenix in the desert, about 250 miles from
> Golden Valley. The main route between the two is State Route 93, named
> the
> Joshua Tree Forest Parkway.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
>It is indeed. They live somewhere near a place called Kingman. I think
>that Parkway runs alongside Golden Valley, or pretty close to it.

I haven't been there, though.
Hoges in WA

Roy

>OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
>miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
>where you are.

G'dday mate!

I already know that you are from Western Australia...either from the
Perth, Fremantle, or possibly Broome? Western Ausralia is such a big
area that was used by the British in the 1950s to test their nuclear
bomb prototyples during the cold war such as the infamous Maralinga
blast.
The WA is too obvious to confuse with Washington besides youa are
using SRF not cake flourw which should be the norm of household bakers
in the Amercian continent .
Regading Hershey replacement use any natural dark cocoa you can find
in Western Australian market; maybe Coles and Safeway have it.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 12:31:32a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

>>> My M-I-L lives in Arizona - in a place called Golden Valley. It's up
>>> in the NW corner I think, near the border with Nevada.
>>>
>>> Hoges in WA

>> Small world! I live SE of Phoenix in the desert, about 250 miles from
>> Golden Valley. The main route between the two is State Route 93, named
>> the Joshua Tree Forest Parkway.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>>It is indeed. They live somewhere near a place called Kingman. I think
>>that Parkway runs alongside Golden Valley, or pretty close to it.

> I haven't been there, though.
> Hoges in WA

I have to admit that I haven't been there either. Kingman is quite near a
number of wonderful tourists destinations, however, that include the Grand
Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake havasu, Lake Mead, etc. I don't believe the
temperatures get quite as high as they do here.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 5:37:13 AM

Mr Libido Incognito

Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
> > snipped
> >

> > Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one
> > from AU or UK,
> > given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that
> > mention of cocoa. :-)
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> > snipped

> Wayne:-
>
> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
> squillion miles from you, and probably on the other side of the
> planet depending on where you are.
>
> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>
> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
> Doubt I could get it down where I live.
>
> Hoges in WA

OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Hoges in WA

"Roy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
>>miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
>>where you are.

> G'dday mate!
>
> I already know that you are from Western Australia...either from the
> Perth, Fremantle, or possibly Broome? Western Ausralia is such a big
> area that was used by the British in the 1950s to test their nuclear
> bomb prototyples during the cold war such as the infamous Maralinga
> blast.
> The WA is too obvious to confuse with Washington besides youa are
> using SRF not cake flourw which should be the norm of household bakers
> in the Amercian continent .
> Regading Hershey replacement use any natural dark cocoa you can find
> in Western Australian market; maybe Coles and Safeway have it.

Hi Roy

Maralinga is a couple of thousand miles to the east in South Australia. Our
cold war tests were on the Monte Bello Islands a thousand or so north of me.

I live in the south west corner near the hook you can see on the map.

The reason for the tag is that in an Australian Football Newsgroup I am in
there was already a Hogan, from South Australia and we agreed to
differentiate.

Re the cocoa, I can get Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa (very British) - I just
needed to know if the Hershey's one had any unusual characteristics.

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter into
baking for me)

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking: snipped
>> >

>> > Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one
>> > from AU or UK,
>> > given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that
>> > mention of cocoa. :-)
>> >
>> > Cheers!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wayne Boatwright *¿* ____________________________________________
>> > snipped

>> Wayne:-
>>
>> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
>> squillion miles from you, and probably on the other side of the
>> planet depending on where you are.
>>
>> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
>> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>>
>> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
>> Doubt I could get it down where I live.
>>
>> Hoges in WA
>>

> OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
> To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.

Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
acidity of Dutched cocoa.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 5:50:42 AM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:48:51a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Roy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> >OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
>> >squillion
>>>miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending
>>>on where you are.

>> G'dday mate!
>>
>> I already know that you are from Western Australia...either from the
>> Perth, Fremantle, or possibly Broome? Western Ausralia is such a big
>> area that was used by the British in the 1950s to test their nuclear
>> bomb prototyples during the cold war such as the infamous Maralinga
>> blast. The WA is too obvious to confuse with Washington besides youa
>> are using SRF not cake flourw which should be the norm of household
>> bakers in the Amercian continent .
>> Regading Hershey replacement use any natural dark cocoa you can find
>> in Western Australian market; maybe Coles and Safeway have it.
>>

> Hi Roy
>
> Maralinga is a couple of thousand miles to the east in South Australia.
> Our cold war tests were on the Monte Bello Islands a thousand or so
> north of me.
>
> I live in the south west corner near the hook you can see on the map.
>
> The reason for the tag is that in an Australian Football Newsgroup I am
> in there was already a Hogan, from South Australia and we agreed to
> differentiate.
>
> Re the cocoa, I can get Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa (very British) - I
> just needed to know if the Hershey's one had any unusual
> characteristics.

No, Hershey's is just a very plain cocoa powder, nothing special. Your
Cadbury's is probably of better quality and flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 5:55:49 AM

graham

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:48:51a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

>> "Roy" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>
>>> G'dday mate!
>>>
>>> I already know that you are from Western Australia...either from the
>>> Perth, Fremantle, or possibly Broome? Western Ausralia is such a big
>>> area that was used by the British in the 1950s to test their nuclear
>>> bomb prototyples during the cold war such as the infamous Maralinga
>>> blast. The WA is too obvious to confuse with Washington besides youa
>>> are using SRF not cake flourw which should be the norm of household
>>> bakers in the Amercian continent .
>>> Regading Hershey replacement use any natural dark cocoa you can find
>>> in Western Australian market; maybe Coles and Safeway have it.
>>>

>> Hi Roy
>>
>> Maralinga is a couple of thousand miles to the east in South Australia.
>> Our cold war tests were on the Monte Bello Islands a thousand or so
>> north of me.
>>
>> I live in the south west corner near the hook you can see on the map.
>>
>> The reason for the tag is that in an Australian Football Newsgroup I am
>> in there was already a Hogan, from South Australia and we agreed to
>> differentiate.
>>
>> Re the cocoa, I can get Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa (very British) - I
>> just needed to know if the Hershey's one had any unusual
>> characteristics.

> No, Hershey's is just a very plain cocoa powder, nothing special. Your
> Cadbury's is probably of better quality and flavor.

I'm a Brit living in Canada who also lived for a while in Perth, WA. I've
used Hershey's, Cadbury's and Fry's and there's little difference. I was
once offered a job in Albany but I think Margaret River would have been
preferable;-)
Graham

graham

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
> rec.food.baking:
>
>> Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking

>>> Wayne:-
>>>
>>> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
>>> squillion miles from you, and probably on the other side of the
>>> planet depending on where you are.
>>>
>>> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
>>> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>>>
>>> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
>>> Doubt I could get it down where I live.
>>>
>>> Hoges in WA
>>>

>> OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
>> To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.
>>

> Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
> acidity of Dutched cocoa.

Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time you've
added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it doesn't matter
much which type you use.
Graham

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 06:45:17a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
>> rec.food.baking:
>>
>>> Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking

>>> OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
>>> To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.
>>>

>> Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
>> acidity of Dutched cocoa.
>>

> Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time you've
> added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it doesn't matter
> much which type you use.
> Graham

Certainly little if any difference as far as flavor is concerned, Graham.
However, I've read that recipes depending on the reaction of baking soda
and the acid in regular cocoa may not work as well with Dutched cocoa,
since the acid level is significantly reduced. I haven't experimented with
it, so I obviously don't know for sure.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 6:54:45 AM

graham

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 06:45:17a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
>>> rec.food.baking:

>>> Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
>>> acidity of Dutched cocoa.
>>>

>> Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time you've
>> added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it doesn't matter
>> much which type you use.
>> Graham

> Certainly little if any difference as far as flavor is concerned, Graham.
> However, I've read that recipes depending on the reaction of baking soda
> and the acid in regular cocoa may not work as well with Dutched cocoa,
> since the acid level is significantly reduced. I haven't experimented
> with
> it, so I obviously don't know for sure.

I wonder if UK and Aussie recipes take that into account as most would be
based on non-dutched cocoa such as Fry's.
Graham

graham

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
>> > snipped
>> >

>> > Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one
>> > from AU or UK,
>> > given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that
>> > mention of cocoa. :-)
>> >
>> > Cheers!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>> > ____________________________________________
>> > snipped

>> Wayne:-
>>
>> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
>> squillion miles from you, and probably on the other side of the
>> planet depending on where you are.
>>
>> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
>> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>>
>> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
>> Doubt I could get it down where I live.
>>
>> Hoges in WA
>>

> OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
> To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.

I've just rooted out the can of Fry's cocoa at the back of my kitchen
cupboard. It says clearly on the label:
"Since 1728, FRY'S COCOA has been using the Dutch process for superior
quality and flavour"

I think that there may be a typo. Wasn't the Dutch process invented in
1828?
Graham

Graham

graham

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 06:45:17a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
>>> rec.food.baking:

>>> Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
>>> acidity of Dutched cocoa.
>>>

>> Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time you've
>> added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it doesn't matter
>> much which type you use.
>> Graham

> Certainly little if any difference as far as flavor is concerned, Graham.
> However, I've read that recipes depending on the reaction of baking soda
> and the acid in regular cocoa may not work as well with Dutched cocoa,
> since the acid level is significantly reduced. I haven't experimented
> with
> it, so I obviously don't know for sure.

Wayne:
I've been googling (instead of doing the weekly laundry) and here's a link
that back's up your thoughts on the subject.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/9-2-02.html

Now, back to the laundry
Graham

Dave Bell

> Hoges in WA
>
> (tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter into
> baking for me)

Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)

Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574
(I know, but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)

Dave

Dave Bell

Dave Bell wrote:

>> Hoges in WA
>>
>> (tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
>> into baking for me)
>>

> Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
> wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)
>
> Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
> http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574
> (I know, but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)
>
> Dave

I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ice/Chap1.html

Dave
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 08:43:26a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time
>>> you've added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it
>>> doesn't matter much which type you use.
>>> Graham

>> Certainly little if any difference as far as flavor is concerned,
>> Graham. However, I've read that recipes depending on the reaction of
>> baking soda and the acid in regular cocoa may not work as well with
>> Dutched cocoa, since the acid level is significantly reduced. I
>> haven't experimented with it, so I obviously don't know for sure.
>>

> Wayne:
> I've been googling (instead of doing the weekly laundry) and here's a
> link that back's up your thoughts on the subject.
> http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/9-2-02.html
>
> Now, back to the laundry
> Graham

Thanks, Graham!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 2:00:30 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 08:33:24a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>> Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking

>>> Wayne:-
>>>
>>> OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
>>> squillion miles from you, and probably on the other side of the
>>> planet depending on where you are.
>>>
>>> OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
>>> struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.
>>>
>>> Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
>>> Doubt I could get it down where I live.
>>>
>>> Hoges in WA
>>>

>> OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
>> To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.
>>

> I've just rooted out the can of Fry's cocoa at the back of my kitchen
> cupboard. It says clearly on the label:
> "Since 1728, FRY'S COCOA has been using the Dutch process for superior
> quality and flavour"
>
> I think that there may be a typo. Wasn't the Dutch process invented in
> 1828?
> Graham

Yes, in 1828 by Conrad J. van Houten.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 2:03:57 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 10:15:44a, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Dave Bell wrote:
>>>
>>> Hoges in WA
>>>
>>> (tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
>>> into baking for me)
>>>

>> Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
>> wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)
>>
>> Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
>> http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574 (I know,
>> but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)
>>
>> Dave

> I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
> http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ookies/oatmeal
> -slice/Chap1.html
>
> Dave

This sounds SO good! Is this not like an Anzac biscuit?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 2:05:51 PM

Hoges in WA

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
m...
> Dave Bell wrote:
>>>
>>> Hoges in WA
>>>
>>> (tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
>>> into baking for me)
>>>

>> Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
>> wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)
>>
>> Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
>> http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574
>> (I know, but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)
>>
>> Dave

> I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
> http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ice/Chap1.html
>
> Dave

That's more like it for sweet biscuits.

The recipe I use (ok,ok, the one I made her use)

1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
125g unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tbls boiling water.

These ones are certainly sweet.

Hoges in WA

cake question sf[_9_] General Cooking 25 22-06-2011 04:59 AM
Cake Glaze Question Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 5 28-05-2011 07:04 AM
Ground meat cake (was Strawberry Basket Cake Question) OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 0 05-05-2006 03:09 PM
A cake question [email protected] General Cooking 2 15-01-2006 05:39 AM
Eiser cake question [email protected] Baking 174 02-03-2005 09:15 PM