Old 20-08-2005, 03:37 AM
Hoges in WA

Default Cake question

Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
cake but am not exactly sure.

This is the recipe

2 Cups SR Flour
4 Tablespoons of custard powder
1 cup of milk
2 cups of sugar
120g melted butter
4 eggs
a few drops of vanilla depending on preference.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Beat all above together until creamy

Cook for 40 minutes and test - it may still not be ready so reduce heat and
cook until skewer comes out clean

I think I have to reduce the custard powder and substitute like amount of
cocoa powder but I am not certain.

It was given to me ages ago - I have made it but it takes a long time to
cook because it's a very wet mixture.

Hoges in WA

Old 20-08-2005, 04:28 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
cake but am not exactly sure.

This is the recipe

2 Cups SR Flour
4 Tablespoons of custard powder
1 cup of milk
2 cups of sugar
120g melted butter
4 eggs
a few drops of vanilla depending on preference.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Beat all above together until creamy

Cook for 40 minutes and test - it may still not be ready so reduce heat
and cook until skewer comes out clean

I think I have to reduce the custard powder and substitute like amount
of cocoa powder but I am not certain.

It was given to me ages ago - I have made it but it takes a long time to
cook because it's a very wet mixture.

Hoges in WA

I've not seen a recipe quite like this one. In most chocolate cakes using
cocoa, the flour is reduced to accomodate the cocoa powder. This would be
difficult here because it calls for SR flour. To make a good flavored
chocolate cake with cocoa, you need about 3/4 cup of the cocoa, far more
than you could substitute for the custard powder.

My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls for
cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM

Old 20-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

snipped

My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
for
cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM

Thanks for the advice.

What's your recipe???

Hoges in WA

Old 20-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 09:45:56p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

snipped

My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
for cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings
raves.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless
there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM

Thanks for the advice.

What's your recipe???

Hoges in WA

This is a very old Hershey's recipe... Hope you like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Chocolate
Desserts

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Frosting

Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in
large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer
2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into
prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

NOTES :
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
Heat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake
35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round
baking pans. Heat oven to 350F. Pour batter into prepared
pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from
pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 stick butter or margarine -- (1/2 cup)
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Add small amount additional milk, if needed.
Stir in vanilla.

Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.

Stir in vanilla extract.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 10:51:27 PM

Old 20-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Roy

Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
cake but am not exactly sure

Theortically its looks straight forward just llike how North Americans
think; a chocolate cake is any cake that can contain either any thing
that contains cocoa solids
but
It is not as simple as that in the country of OZ.... In Australian
standards which is patterned from British baking, a chocolate cake
should contain real chocolate in it.
Any cake that contains a cocoa powder or even compounded chocolate is
just called chocolate flavored cake.
Roy

Old 20-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 06:26:20a, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

Hi. I would like to know how to convert a Vanilla Cake into a chocolate
cake but am not exactly sure

Theortically its looks straight forward just llike how North Americans
think; a chocolate cake is any cake that can contain either any thing
that contains cocoa solids
but
It is not as simple as that in the country of OZ.... In Australian
standards which is patterned from British baking, a chocolate cake
should contain real chocolate in it.
Any cake that contains a cocoa powder or even compounded chocolate is
just called chocolate flavored cake.
Roy

Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good "chocolate"
cakes make only with cocoa powder.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 7:51:07 AM

Old 20-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Dave Bell

Hoges in WA wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

snipped

My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
for
cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings raves.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM

Thanks for the advice.

What's your recipe???

Hoges in WA

Besides the one Wayne posted, here's another Hershey's recipe that
always gets raves for me. Caution: It's deadly rich, and addictive!

Dave

(I use a cup of freshly brewed, very strong, french roast.
The same goes well with the cake, later...)

Black Magic Cake

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup strong black coffee
OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
(Bleah!! DB)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans
or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (Watch out for overflow with 13x9!)

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat
on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter
evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for
rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost
as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Old 20-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Roy

Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good "chocolate"
cakes make only with cocoa powder.

Wayne from the ordinary American way of thinking that may not be an
issue , but from the Standards of Identity as mandated by a particular
government rules IT IS NOT.
In the same way that in those countries if you had not attended their
bakery apprenticeship and did not pass their bakers qualification
program you are NOT considered a qualified baker so you will never
become a member of their bakers guild.
North Americans may think it as odd....but if you had lived in those.
Roy

Old 21-08-2005, 12:56 AM

Roy wrote:
Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good "chocolate"
cakes make only with cocoa powder.

Wayne from the ordinary American way of thinking that may not be an
issue , but from the Standards of Identity as mandated by a particular
government rules IT IS NOT.
In the same way that in those countries if you had not attended their
bakery apprenticeship and did not pass their bakers qualification
program you are NOT considered a qualified baker so you will never
become a member of their bakers guild.
North Americans may think it as odd....but if you had lived in those.
Roy

"Anyone who thinks himself to be an expert, and therefore anyone who
differs from him to be wrong, is automatically wrong himself."

Old 21-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 09:48:26a, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

Hoges in WA wrote:
[...]

Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except for
coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk. I often
substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee in the
frosting.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 6:12:18 PM

Old 21-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 12:13:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

Sometimes one can be overly technical. :-) There are many good
"chocolate" cakes make only with cocoa powder.

Wayne from the ordinary American way of thinking that may not be an
issue , but from the Standards of Identity as mandated by a particular
government rules IT IS NOT.
In the same way that in those countries if you had not attended their
bakery apprenticeship and did not pass their bakers qualification
program you are NOT considered a qualified baker so you will never
become a member of their bakers guild.
North Americans may think it as odd....but if you had lived in those.
Roy

No offense, but... I fully understand what you're saying, but I don't
think we're really looking at professional bakers in reference to the OP's
request. Nor do most home bakers care much about what the government
defines as a cake. I wasn't offering the recipe as one that meets any
government standards, regardless of which country.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 6:16:22 PM

Old 21-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Roy

No offense, but... I
Same with me Wayne,,,, it is just in those countries they have their
peculiarities..... that its contrary to what we are used to.

I am also very familiar with these cocoa flavored cakes and mixes
which in myyounger days I plainly called as chocolate cakes but when
I travelled to those down under countries they don't want to call
those items as chocolate cakes but something else...say mudcake is
one, and ..that is the commoon chocolate flavored cake in Australia..
When ever I made a specimen of dark cocoa based cakes ... the people
there immediately recognized is as .... mudcake,. NOT as chocolate
cake.
!
Roy

Old 21-08-2005, 04:02 AM
Roy

"Anyone who thinks himself to be an expert, and therefore anyone who
differs from him to be wrong, is automatically wrong himself."

are the one thinking so ..therefore
..if it differs in your opinion its automatically wrong....?g.

Old 21-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:

No offense, but... I

Same with me Wayne,,,, it is just in those countries they have their
peculiarities..... that its contrary to what we are used to.

I am also very familiar with these cocoa flavored cakes and mixes
which in myyounger days I plainly called as chocolate cakes but when
I travelled to those down under countries they don't want to call
those items as chocolate cakes but something else...say mudcake is
one, and ..that is the commoon chocolate flavored cake in Australia..
When ever I made a specimen of dark cocoa based cakes ... the people
there immediately recognized is as .... mudcake,. NOT as chocolate
cake.

Clearly, yes, there is a difference, though not to say that either is not
good. I'm not that familiar with Australian baking, but I quite familiar
with baking in the UK. The bottom line for me, for this post, was that the
OP is in WA, not AU or UK, and was specifically asking for a way to convert
his "vanilla cake" using cocoa.

Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU or UK,
given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention of
cocoa. :-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 9:34:38 PM

Old 21-08-2005, 06:11 AM
Hoges in WA

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking:
snipped

Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one from AU or
UK,
given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that mention of
cocoa. :-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright **
snipped

Wayne:-

OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37 squillion
miles from you, and probably on the other side of the planet depending on
where you are.

OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.

Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree? Doubt I
could get it down where I live.

Hoges in WA

cake question sf[_9_] General Cooking 25 22-06-2011 04:59 AM
Cake Glaze Question Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 5 28-05-2011 07:04 AM
Ground meat cake (was Strawberry Basket Cake Question) OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 0 05-05-2006 03:09 PM
A cake question [email protected] General Cooking 2 15-01-2006 05:39 AM
Eiser cake question [email protected] Baking 174 02-03-2005 09:15 PM