Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground meat cake (was Strawberry Basket Cake Question)

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote on 04 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

>>"Margaret Wilson" > wrote
>>

>>>This recipe calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel.
>>>
>>>Does this mean the zest from a orange or the powder
>>>stuff found in the spice isle? Or, does it not matter?
>>>
>>>TIA for the any help

>>No question, the zest from a fresh orange.
>>
>>nancy
>>

> I read this thread as "Strawberry Brisket Cake"...EWW Yuch"
> Not as Strwberry Basket Cake...Yumm
>
> Grated orange peel is just a different way of saying orange zest. I'd go
> for the fresh zest right off an orange; over the dried and older stuff on
> the Supermarket shelf. The older the zest the less voilatile <sp??> oils.

I used to belong to an Emu e-mail list (still do actually, but like the
emu industry, it's pretty well dead) and they talked about this recipe
once. I had it at a party at one point and it actually was quite good.
Did not taste like meat at all.

I imagine a very fine, lean beef could substitute. Like most birds,
pretty much all the fat on an emu is under the skin so the meat is
virtually fat free. This presents a challenge when cooking it. The meat
is red, like beef. Reminds me more than anything else of venison.

I surely would not use Brisket. <lol> Way too fatty.
Harvested from this website:

http://www.uniquelyemu.com/emurecipes.htm
EMU CAKE
Mix together: 1 lb. ground emu, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3 cups brown sugar. Add
and mix well: 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves.
Mix and add: 2 cups raisins, 1 cup hot coffee, 1/2 cup chopped nuts
(optional), 1 tsp. baking soda.
Bake in a greased 9 X 13 pan AT 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Very
good with cream cheese frosting.

Cheers!
Om