hamburger buns get hard

Old 14-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Danny Kewl
Usenet poster

Default hamburger buns get hard

Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on them
after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to post
this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a Google
groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Old 14-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Sun 13 Feb 2005 10:54:51p, Danny Kewl wrote in rec.food.preserving:

Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
them after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7
to 10 days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen.
How can I keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best
newsgroup to post this, as I realize "preserving" is more
canning/jarring foods, but a Google groups search only showed this
group, nothing on "storage" except for survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Don't know why it happens, but I hate even remotely stale hamburger buns. As
soon as I get home with a package, I wrap each bun individually in pastic
wrap, toss all in a ziploc bag and freeze. When thawed at room temperature,
they're as fresh and soft as the day they were bought.

Wayne

Old 14-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 12:36:44a, Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote in
rec.food.preserving:

"Danny Kewl" wrote in message
Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
them after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to
10 days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How
can I keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup
to post this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods,
but a Google
groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Refrigerate them

Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the moisture as
ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.

Wayne
Old 14-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Loki
Usenet poster

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:54:51 -0500, "Danny Kewl" ha scritto:

Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on them
after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to post
this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a Google
groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

The people on the bread newsgroup may have some comments. :-)
alt.bread.recipes
--
Cheers,

Old 14-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Melba's Jammin'
Usenet poster

In article , "Danny Kewl"
wrote:
Sorry if this isn't
the best newsgroup to post this, as I realize "preserving" is more
canning/jarring foods, but a Google groups search only showed this
group, nothing on "storage" except for survivalist groups, etc.
Thanks.

Might try the baking group -- there are some professional bakers there,
I think, who might have info.
--
-Barb
www.jamlady.eboard.com; Sam pics added 2-7-05
Old 14-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Melba's Jammin'
Usenet poster

In article , Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the
moisture as ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.
Wayne

LOL! I won a blue ribbon at the Fair for my white bread, Wayne -- it
had been frozen for a week before it was judged. People are always
surprised when I tell them that short-term freezing doesn't hurt it a
bit.
Old 14-02-2005, 04:26 PM
William R. Watt
Usenet poster

"Danny Kewl" ) writes:
Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on them

try storing them upside down.
same happens to home made cheese in the basement.
has to be turned regualarly. as should wine.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 14-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

wrote:
Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the
moisture as ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.
Wayne

LOL! I won a blue ribbon at the Fair for my white bread, Wayne -- it
had been frozen for a week before it was judged. People are always
surprised when I tell them that short-term freezing doesn't hurt it a
bit.

Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a week, but
we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the remainder
immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later, it's just as good
as when it was first baked. French bread, especially, will become stale
overnight if left at room temperature.

Wayne
Old 14-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Kathi Jones
Usenet poster

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

"Danny Kewl" ) writes:
Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on

them

try storing them upside down.

LOL - but then the tops would get hard and crusty!

;-)

Kathi

same happens to home made cheese in the basement.
has to be turned regualarly. as should wine.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Old 15-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Brian Mailman
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a week, but
we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the remainder
immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later, it's just as good
as when it was first baked. French bread, especially, will become stale
overnight if left at room temperature.

sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
you.

sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...

b/
Old 15-02-2005, 01:40 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:34:42p, Brian Mailman wrote in rec.food.preserving:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a
week, but we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the
remainder immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later,
it's just as good as when it was first baked. French bread,
especially, will become stale overnight if left at room temperature.

sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

Brian, I'm in the Arizona desert. Need I say more? :-)

try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
you.

That's certainly worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

Old 15-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

"Danny Kewl" ) writes:
Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
them

try storing them upside down.

LOL - but then the tops would get hard and crusty!

;-)

Kathi

Then the answer clearly is to store half of the upside down and the other
half right side up. :-)

Wayne