Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 08:02:42a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>> Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the
>> moisture as ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.
>> Wayne

> LOL! I won a blue ribbon at the Fair for my white bread, Wayne -- it
> had been frozen for a week before it was judged. People are always
> surprised when I tell them that short-term freezing doesn't hurt it a
> bit.

Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a week, but
we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the remainder
immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later, it's just as good
as when it was first baked. French bread, especially, will become stale
overnight if left at room temperature.

Wayne