Kathi Jones

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:34:42p, Brian Mailman wrote in

rec.food.preserving:

the

> >> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> >> least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
> >> means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

> > Brian, I'm in the Arizona desert. Need I say more? :-)

> heh. friend from denver arrived for a visit last year and first thing
> she said was 'wow, you have emphasis water emphasis in your air'
>
> >> try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may

help
> >> you.

> > That's certainly worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

> perhaps a emphasis slightly emphasis dampened paper towel in whatever
> you're keeping the bread in as well
>
> b/
>
> >> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...
> >>
> >> b/

I store my hot dog and hamburger buns in the freezer. Then when I make hot
dogs for the kids I do this: put dogs in a pot of water to boil, nuke
frozen hot dog buns for 10 seconds, open them up and place them on a rack
(cookie rack, trivet, whatever) over the pot with the dogs in it. The steam
of the boiling water will warm and moisten the buns, no matter how dried out
they were, or how long they'd been in the freezer. Of course you wouldn't
want to do this with any dried out bread, but it works for the hot dog buns
in my house. The hamburger buns get wrapped in foil and put on the BBQ
while the burgers are cooked.

Just another idea,

Kathi