Old 18-11-2011, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you have a good recipe for Hamburger Buns?

What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Old 18-11-2011, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 4:10*pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:
What is the best bun to bake? *The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

You don't say whether you want them light and fluffy or heavy like a
kaiser type roll. so, here's one for both the burger and the dogs.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/burger-...ns/detail.aspx
Old 18-11-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
On Nov 17, 4:10 pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:
What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

You don't say whether you want them light and fluffy or heavy like a
kaiser type roll. so, here's one for both the burger and the dogs.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/burger-...ns/detail.aspx

thanks. I am not sure which I would prefer. I think I will get some
suggestions and actually try them, instead of just shooting them down one by
one. As fun as that might be, and in keeping with some sort of tradition
here . . .

Oh, I just remembered - a soft pretzel type roll. I'll add to the list to
try.

Old 18-11-2011, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

I don't make hamburger buns and when I want buns, I buy kaiser rolls.
Maybe you could consider that instead.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...r-rolls-recipe

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Might as well. I would use it for grilled sausages, not hot dogs,
though.

Old 18-11-2011, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

I don't make hamburger buns and when I want buns, I buy kaiser rolls.
Maybe you could consider that instead.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...r-rolls-recipe

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Might as well. I would use it for grilled sausages, not hot dogs,
though.

yes, I gave up on hot dogs decades ago. thanks.

Old 18-11-2011, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote in message
What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

I just made Belles Hamburger Buns and liked them a lot. The egg wash gives a
nice crisp exterior.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/belles-...ns/detail.aspx

Old 18-11-2011, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Pico Rico wrote:
What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

I am told that the Beautiful Burger Buns from King Arthur Flour are
awesome. Google will be your friend.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Check KAF.
Old 18-11-2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

--

thanks for the tip.

Old 18-11-2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" wrote in message

"Pico Rico" wrote in message
What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

I just made Belles Hamburger Buns and liked them a lot. The egg wash gives
a nice crisp exterior.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/belles-...ns/detail.aspx

thanks for the link.

Old 18-11-2011, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2011 04:10 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

The absolute best I've made are King Arthur Flour's Beautiful Burger
Buns: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...er-buns-recipe

I also stuff them sometimes, and they're awesome that way, too:
http://www.momfoodproject.com/2011/0...uffed-version/

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Yep.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Old 18-11-2011, 09:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" ha scritto nel messaggio
What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

http://www.judithgreenwood.com/made-...sandwich-buns/

because the ones in markets here look right but are actually terribly sweet
and seem to have almond extract in them. This recipe has worked very well
for both. Previous to finding it, I did white bread in shapes, but this is
better.

Old 18-11-2011, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

I don't make hamburger buns and when I want buns, I buy kaiser rolls.
Maybe you could consider that instead.

Or onion rolls! I wouldn't bother making rolls for hamburgers, but then
again I've never claimed to be a baker

Might as well. I would use it for grilled sausages, not hot dogs,
though.

For grilled sausage (Italian, which I avoid due to fennel seeds, or
bratwurst) I prefer a toasted hoagie bun or sourdough.

Jill

Old 18-11-2011, 02:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 7:10*pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:
What is the best bun to bake? *The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS

I make these abt twice a week and like the results.

Into my ABM I dump:

5/8 C water
1 egg
1 & 1/3 C bread flour (I mix KA with gluten, I cup to 1 T.)
1/3 C Whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
3 T safflower oil (sometimes canola, if I'm out of saf)
2-3 T sugar
2 t. dry active yeast

Use dough setting.
I roll the dough into long ropes, then fashion into a rosette shaped
bun. Sometimes I roll the ropes first in rye flour. Cover and let
rise in a warm oven for abt 10 mins.

Bake at 400 on a parchment covered sheet. Check after 10 minutes.
I get 5 good sized rolls out of this. I also have the quantities if
you want to make about 8 rolls.

_______________

I also have used this recipe for a nice loaf of bread made in the
ABM. Heat the water in mike for 30 sec. on high. I used the rapid
bake setting on the ABM.
Old 18-11-2011, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

What is the best bun to bake?

The one *you* like best? That day.

The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

I make whatever bread I feel like that day-- white, ciabatta, rye. . .
I haven't tried the KA recipes that have been posted-- but I'll
probably get around to it one of these days.

After the first rise I make them into 90g [or so] rolls [or 130g logs]
and arrange on a 1/2 sheet pan. I fit 12 hamburger and 8 hot dog
rolls on a pan. I butter them once at this point so they come apart
easier-- then I hit them again when they come out.

Jim
Old 18-11-2011, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

The best buns I've ever made were from the King Arthur onion roll
recipe. It's on their site. Good stuff.

Lou