Danny Kewl

Default hamburger buns get hard

Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on them
after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to post
this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a Google
groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 13 Feb 2005 10:54:51p, Danny Kewl wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
> them after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7
> to 10 days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen.
> How can I keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best
> newsgroup to post this, as I realize "preserving" is more
> canning/jarring foods, but a Google groups search only showed this
> group, nothing on "storage" except for survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Don't know why it happens, but I hate even remotely stale hamburger buns. As
soon as I get home with a package, I wrap each bun individually in pastic
wrap, toss all in a ziploc bag and freeze. When thawed at room temperature,
they're as fresh and soft as the day they were bought.

Wayne

Thomas H. O'Reilly

Refrigerate them

"Danny Kewl" > wrote in message
> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
> them
> after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
> days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
> keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to
> post
> this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a
> Google
> groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
> survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 12:36:44a, Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote in
rec.food.preserving:

> "Danny Kewl" > wrote in message
>> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
>> them after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to
>> 10 days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How
>> can I keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup
>> to post this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods,
>> but a Google
>> groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
>> survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

> Refrigerate them

Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the moisture as
ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.

Wayne
Loki

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:54:51 -0500, "Danny Kewl" ha scritto:

> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on them
> after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
> days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
> keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to post
> this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a Google
> groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
> survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

The people on the bread newsgroup may have some comments. :-)
alt.bread.recipes
--
Cheers,

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Danny Kewl"
> wrote:
Sorry if this isn't
> the best newsgroup to post this, as I realize "preserving" is more
> canning/jarring foods, but a Google groups search only showed this
> group, nothing on "storage" except for survivalist groups, etc.
> Thanks.

Might try the baking group -- there are some professional bakers there,
I think, who might have info.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the
> moisture as ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.
> Wayne

LOL! I won a blue ribbon at the Fair for my white bread, Wayne -- it
had been frozen for a week before it was judged. People are always
surprised when I tell them that short-term freezing doesn't hurt it a
bit.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
William R. Watt

"Danny Kewl" ) writes:
> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on them

try storing them upside down.
same happens to home made cheese in the basement.
has to be turned regualarly. as should wine.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 08:02:42a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>> Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the
>> moisture as ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.
>> Wayne

> LOL! I won a blue ribbon at the Fair for my white bread, Wayne -- it
> had been frozen for a week before it was judged. People are always
> surprised when I tell them that short-term freezing doesn't hurt it a
> bit.

Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a week, but
we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the remainder
immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later, it's just as good
as when it was first baked. French bread, especially, will become stale
overnight if left at room temperature.

Wayne

Kathi Jones

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message

> "Danny Kewl" ) writes:
> > Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on

them

> try storing them upside down.

LOL - but then the tops would get hard and crusty!

;-)

Kathi

----
> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
> homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
> warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned

Brian Mailman

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a week, but
> we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the remainder
> immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later, it's just as good
> as when it was first baked. French bread, especially, will become stale
> overnight if left at room temperature.

sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
you.

sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...

b/
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:34:42p, Brian Mailman wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a
>> week, but we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the
>> remainder immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later,
>> it's just as good as when it was first baked. French bread,
>> especially, will become stale overnight if left at room temperature.

> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
> means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

Brian, I'm in the Arizona desert. Need I say more? :-)

> try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
> you.

That's certainly worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...
>
> b/

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:34:42p, Brian Mailman wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a
>> week, but we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the
>> remainder immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later,
>> it's just as good as when it was first baked. French bread,
>> especially, will become stale overnight if left at room temperature.

> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
> means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

Brian, I'm in the Arizona desert. Need I say more? :-)

> try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
> you.

That's certainly worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...
>
> b/

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 03:16:35p, Kathi Jones wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> "William R. Watt" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Danny Kewl" ) writes:
>> > Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on
>> > them

>> try storing them upside down.

> LOL - but then the tops would get hard and crusty!
>
> ;-)
>
> Kathi

Then the answer clearly is to store half of the upside down and the other
half right side up. :-)

Wayne

Kathi Jones

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 14 Feb 2005 03:16:35p, Kathi Jones wrote in rec.food.preserving:

on

> >> try storing them upside down.

> > LOL - but then the tops would get hard and crusty!
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Kathi

> Then the answer clearly is to store half of the upside down and the other
> half right side up. :-)
>
> Wayne

....or ....inside out?

Kathi

Scott

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the moisture as
> ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.

Refrigerating speeds staling through starch retrogradation, not drying.
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 09:09:38p, Scott wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Refrigerating bread accelerates drying. Freezing captures the moisture
>> as ice crystals which rehydrate when thawed.

> Refrigerating speeds staling through starch retrogradation, not drying.

Thanks, Scott. Interesting. Could you explain further? I just know that
refrigerated bread taste "dried out".

Wayne

William R. Watt

I used to by bread marked down to half price because it was past it's best
before date and freeze it. Also used to buy a 50 lb flour bag full of
a variety of surplus breads from a small bakery and freeze most of it.
Works great.

HINT: You can use a bread machine to mix and rise dough, then take it out,
cut and shape into exotic loaves and bake 30 min in a regular convection
oven. There'a a video showing how to do it at our public library.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian Mailman

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:34:42p, Brian Mailman wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a
>>> week, but we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the
>>> remainder immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later,
>>> it's just as good as when it was first baked. French bread,
>>> especially, will become stale overnight if left at room temperature.

>> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
>> least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
>> means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

> Brian, I'm in the Arizona desert. Need I say more? :-)

heh. friend from denver arrived for a visit last year and first thing
she said was 'wow, you have emphasis water emphasis in your air'

>> try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
>> you.

> That's certainly worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

perhaps a emphasis slightly emphasis dampened paper towel in whatever
you're keeping the bread in as well

b/

>> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...
>>
>> b/

Loki

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:34:42 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Freezing works well. I usually bake a loaf of French bread once a week, but
> > we never eat the entire loaf at the first meal. I freeze the remainder
> > immediately after dinner. When I thaw it a few days later, it's just as good
> > as when it was first baked. French bread, especially, will become stale
> > overnight if left at room temperature.

> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
> means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.
>
> try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may help
> you.
>
> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...

In France the baguettes get hard after a day. In Italy the loaves get
rock hard. It's the nature of the beast IMHO.
--
Cheers,

Kathi Jones

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > On Mon 14 Feb 2005 05:34:42p, Brian Mailman wrote in

rec.food.preserving:

the

> >> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> >> least 3 days. then again, maybe b/c in san francisco 'french bread'
> >> means sourdough and it has something to do with the starter.

> > Brian, I'm in the Arizona desert. Need I say more? :-)

> heh. friend from denver arrived for a visit last year and first thing
> she said was 'wow, you have emphasis water emphasis in your air'
>
> >> try using the water you've boiled potatoes in as a liquid, that may

help
> >> you.

> > That's certainly worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

> perhaps a emphasis slightly emphasis dampened paper towel in whatever
> you're keeping the bread in as well
>
> b/
>
> >> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...
> >>
> >> b/

I store my hot dog and hamburger buns in the freezer. Then when I make hot
dogs for the kids I do this: put dogs in a pot of water to boil, nuke
frozen hot dog buns for 10 seconds, open them up and place them on a rack
(cookie rack, trivet, whatever) over the pot with the dogs in it. The steam
of the boiling water will warm and moisten the buns, no matter how dried out
they were, or how long they'd been in the freezer. Of course you wouldn't
want to do this with any dried out bread, but it works for the hot dog buns
in my house. The hamburger buns get wrapped in foil and put on the BBQ
while the burgers are cooked.

Just another idea,

Kathi

Gary S.

On 16 Feb 2005 08:14:19 +1300, "Loki" > wrote:

>In France the baguettes get hard after a day. In Italy the loaves get
>rock hard. It's the nature of the beast IMHO.

Here in the States, supermarket white bread will stay soft for months.
Wonder why?

All about choices.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 12:47:50p, Gary S. wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> On 16 Feb 2005 08:14:19 +1300, "Loki" > wrote:
>
>>In France the baguettes get hard after a day. In Italy the loaves get
>>rock hard. It's the nature of the beast IMHO.

> Here in the States, supermarket white bread will stay soft for months.
> Wonder why?

Because supermarkets have the perfect environment for keeping bread fresh?

> All about choices.
>
> Happy trails,
> Gary

Wayne
Brian Mailman

Loki wrote:

> il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:34:42 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:
>
>> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
>> least 3 days. ...
>> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...

> In France the baguettes get hard after a day. In Italy the loaves get
> rock hard...

what am i doing wrong

William R. Watt

Wayne Boatwright ) writes:
> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 12:47:50p, Gary S. wrote in rec.food.preserving:

>> Here in the States, supermarket white bread will stay soft for months.
>> Wonder why?

they have the audacity to call it bread

> Because supermarkets have the perfect environment for keeping bread fresh?

I'm no bread expert but I think it depends on the amount of protein in the
four. Protein, also called gluten as in glue, is what makes flour and
water paste harden and stick wallpaper to the wall. (All natural adhesives
are forms of protein, eg horses hooves, fish skin, "casein" in milk, etc.)
When I make whole wheat bread I add some high protein white flour (1 tsp
per cup of four) so the bread will stick togehter better and the tiny
bubbles wont' break. If you leave out the extra gluten the bubbles break
and the bread doesn't rise as high; the loaf is smaller and harder.

I don't think protein plays any part in jam and jelly making.
They use pectin to stick together.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Danny Kewl

Thanks all for the replies, I guess I started quite a thread here! I'll try
a few of the suggestions, but maybe it's better for me to try a different
kind of bread. My problem is I live by myself, and an 8 pack of hamburger
buns, or loaf of bread for that matter, may last me a week or more. I may or
may not end up using a bun or two or bread slices every day. I don't want to
go to the store every day for fresh bread, that I'll probably waste and
waste $ also. I tried freezing bread/buns in the past, and I didn't like the
consistency when it thawed. I don't have the time to make and/or bake
bread/rolls and there will be waste there too.

I really think the preservatives they put in store bought bread are a joke.
It may preserver, but after a couple days it seems like the bread feels and
tastes like some kind cellulose.

"Danny Kewl" > wrote in message
> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on

them
> after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
> days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
> keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to

post
> this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a

Google
> groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
> survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Danny Kewl

"Danny Kewl" > wrote in message
> Why do store bought hamburger buns start getting hard crusty bottoms on

them
> after 1 or 2 days, even though the expiration date on the bag is 7 to 10
> days? I keep them sealed in the bag them come in in the kitchen. How can I
> keep them from getting tough? Sorry if this isn't the best newsgroup to

post
> this, as I realize "preserving" is more canning/jarring foods, but a

Google
> groups search only showed this group, nothing on "storage" except for
> survivalist groups, etc. Thanks.

Loki

il Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:14:48 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> Loki wrote:
>
> > il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:34:42 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:
> >
> >> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> >> least 3 days. ...
> >> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...

> > In France the baguettes get hard after a day. In Italy the loaves get
> > rock hard...

> what am i doing wrong

:-)
--
Cheers,

Loki

il Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:14:48 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> Loki wrote:
>
> > il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:34:42 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:
> >
> >> sounds like you're in a low humidity environment... mine is good for at
> >> least 3 days. ...
> >> sorry, my shift keys are broken so no remarks about being shiftless...

> > In France the baguettes get hard after a day. In Italy the loaves get
> > rock hard...

> what am i doing wrong

:-)
--
Cheers,

Julie Bove

"Danny Kewl" > wrote in message
> Thanks all for the replies, I guess I started quite a thread here! I'll

try
> a few of the suggestions, but maybe it's better for me to try a different
> kind of bread. My problem is I live by myself, and an 8 pack of hamburger
> buns, or loaf of bread for that matter, may last me a week or more. I may

or
> may not end up using a bun or two or bread slices every day. I don't want

> go to the store every day for fresh bread, that I'll probably waste and
> waste $ also. I tried freezing bread/buns in the past, and I didn't like

the
> consistency when it thawed. I don't have the time to make and/or bake
> bread/rolls and there will be waste there too.
>
> I really think the preservatives they put in store bought bread are a

joke.
> It may preserver, but after a couple days it seems like the bread feels

and
> tastes like some kind cellulose.

Can you get the Baker's Inn brand of bread? They don't make buns, but they
do have several kinds of bread and it doesn't contain any trans-fats. It
tastes good and keeps for well over a week. It's got the farthest away
expiration date of any bread I've seen. I buy it because we don't eat a lot
of bread in this family. It comes wrapped in both plastic and paper. I
also find that the use of a bread box works well to preserve the bread.

As for freezing, I'm with you! It's okay for toast, but other than that, I
think the texture is funny.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

Hamburger buns pintlar@node1 Baking 4 04-07-2017 02:23 PM
Do you have a good recipe for Hamburger Buns? Pico Rico[_2_] General Cooking 24 20-11-2011 11:54 PM
REC: Hamburger buns ABM Curly Sue General Cooking 6 13-06-2006 05:32 AM
Hamburger Buns Johnson (Cayman Designs) Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2004 02:51 PM
"Healthy" Sourdough Hamburger or Hotdog Buns Crombie Sourdough 3 03-03-2004 04:57 AM