how do you flavor beef stew ?

Old 30-11-2003, 06:47 AM
abdul rahim
Usenet poster

Default how do you flavor beef stew ?

crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks
Old 30-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Saerah Bennett
Usenet poster

abdul rahim wrote in message ...
crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

fresh herbs. onions, garlic. that should do it.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have
weapons
of mass destruction to tell the world where they are."
Ari Fleischer
7/9/2003

Old 30-11-2003, 08:54 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

abdul rahim wrote:
crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and
potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring
ideas? thanks

Season the beef with salt & pepper and brown it first in a *little* oil to
which you have added chopped onion and garlic, then transfer this to the
crock pot with your other ingredients. I also like to add a bay leaf to the
pot. Note: this method is good if you're making a pot roast as well.

A friend of mine likes to add finely chopped tomato to her stew, which gives
it a nice flavour. I think she also adds a little oregano.

Jill

Old 30-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Emrys Davies
Usenet poster

'Abdul',

In my slow cooker I use stewing beef, potatoes, carrots, swede,
parsnips, onions, turnip, garlic puree, black pepper and fine sea salt
in well balanced amounts.

You can also add a sachet of 'Bouquet Garni', which includes thyme,
parsley, bay and marjoram.

In the end it is a matter of likes and dislikes and the experimentation
is well worth the effort until you get it right.

Taste as you cook and add spices according to your taste.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

om...

Old 30-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
(abdul rahim) wrote:

crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,
but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring
ideas? thanks

Oh, some Worcestershire sauce, too.

Not a crock pot rec. but very flavorful.

1/2 pound salt Pork - cut into pieces and saute the pork slowly in a
large skillet until rendered

2 pounds boneless stew beef
BROWN (and I mean brown) the beef in the hot drippings or small bit
of oil over high heat. Make sure to brown all sides
Spoon off most of the fat.
Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce until almost gone.
Sprinkle meat with flour seasoned with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Combine and heat until boiling:
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large chopped onion
1 cup beef broth (I recommend 2)
1 cup red wine (or a 12 oz bottle of beer)
1 cup tomato sauce
12 peppercorns (or fresh ground)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/3 bay leaf

Place the meat in a heavy saucepan. Pour other ingredients over it.
Simmer covered 2 - 3 hours or until meat can easily be pierced with
a fork.

Cook separately until nearly tender:
6 medium-sized pared quartered potatoes
6 pared quartered carrots
1 rib celery, chopped

Add these to stew for the last 15 minutes.

I also put fresh mushrooms, peas, or whatever, in. If it needs
thickening, mix flour and *cold* water together. Bring the stew to a
boil and whisk in some of the mixture. Let it boil for a few minutes.

--
Steve

Old 30-11-2003, 03:07 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

(abdul rahim) writes:

crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

Um, use a *flavorful* beef cut (duh)... preferably one with bone, a cut up
7-bone roast is nice... definitely do not that pre-cut mystery meat.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 30-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Arri London
Usenet poster

abdul rahim wrote:

crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

Depends on what you like really!

Brown the meat and the carrots before adding the liquid. That gives a
lot of flavour right there.

Lots of chiles, onions and garlic.
Lots of dried herbs during cooking and some fresh herbs before serving.
Curry spices or Jamaican jerk spices or Turkish spices or Chinese
spices.
Wine.
Addition of other vegetables.
Soy sauce and sesame oil, with a little white miso.
Sour orange juice and rind or regular orange juice with some lemon juice
added and rind.
Dark-fried onions added at the end of cooking.
Old 30-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

abdul rahim wrote:

crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

By not using a crock pot, except maybe to heat up later and keep it warm for a pot luck
dinner. Do the stewing beef in a proper pan or heavy bottom pot and brown it first.

Old 30-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Ariane Jenkins
Usenet poster

On 29 Nov 2003 22:47:01 -0800,
abdul rahim wrote:
crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

I like minced garlic and chopped onion in mine, thyme, a bay
leaf, tomatoes or a couple Tbsp. tomato paste, maybe a good slosh of
red wine.

Ariane
Old 30-11-2003, 07:45 PM
CoastWatcher
Usenet poster

I almost always add a few beef buillion (sp?) cubes.

Old 01-12-2003, 12:20 AM
d w a c o n
Usenet poster

"abdul rahim" wrote in message
om...
crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

A splash of burgundy...

--

There is a word for everything...