jmcquown

Default how do you flavor beef stew ?

abdul rahim wrote:
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and
> potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring
> ideas? thanks

Season the beef with salt & pepper and brown it first in a *little* oil to
which you have added chopped onion and garlic, then transfer this to the
crock pot with your other ingredients. I also like to add a bay leaf to the
pot. Note: this method is good if you're making a pot roast as well.

A friend of mine likes to add finely chopped tomato to her stew, which gives
it a nice flavour. I think she also adds a little oregano.

Jill