abdul rahim

Default how do you flavor beef stew ?

crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
what can you add to flavor beef stew?

tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks
Saerah Bennett

abdul rahim wrote in message ...
>crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
>what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
>tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

fresh herbs. onions, garlic. that should do it.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have
weapons
of mass destruction to tell the world where they are."
Ari Fleischer
7/9/2003

jmcquown

abdul rahim wrote:
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and
> potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring
> ideas? thanks

Season the beef with salt & pepper and brown it first in a *little* oil to
which you have added chopped onion and garlic, then transfer this to the
crock pot with your other ingredients. I also like to add a bay leaf to the
pot. Note: this method is good if you're making a pot roast as well.

A friend of mine likes to add finely chopped tomato to her stew, which gives
it a nice flavour. I think she also adds a little oregano.

Jill

Emrys Davies

'Abdul',

In my slow cooker I use stewing beef, potatoes, carrots, swede,
parsnips, onions, turnip, garlic puree, black pepper and fine sea salt
in well balanced amounts.

You can also add a sachet of 'Bouquet Garni', which includes thyme,
parsley, bay and marjoram.

In the end it is a matter of likes and dislikes and the experimentation
is well worth the effort until you get it right.

Taste as you cook and add spices according to your taste.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"abdul rahim" > wrote in message
om...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and

potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

Steve Calvin

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> (abdul rahim) wrote:
>

>>crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,
>>but
>>what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>>
>>tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring
>>ideas? thanks

> Oh, some Worcestershire sauce, too.

Not a crock pot rec. but very flavorful.

1/2 pound salt Pork - cut into pieces and saute the pork slowly in a
large skillet until rendered

2 pounds boneless stew beef
BROWN (and I mean brown) the beef in the hot drippings or small bit
of oil over high heat. Make sure to brown all sides
Spoon off most of the fat.
Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce until almost gone.
Sprinkle meat with flour seasoned with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Combine and heat until boiling:
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large chopped onion
1 cup beef broth (I recommend 2)
1 cup red wine (or a 12 oz bottle of beer)
1 cup tomato sauce
12 peppercorns (or fresh ground)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/3 bay leaf

Place the meat in a heavy saucepan. Pour other ingredients over it.
Simmer covered 2 - 3 hours or until meat can easily be pierced with
a fork.

Cook separately until nearly tender:
6 medium-sized pared quartered potatoes
6 pared quartered carrots
1 rib celery, chopped

Add these to stew for the last 15 minutes.

I also put fresh mushrooms, peas, or whatever, in. If it needs
thickening, mix flour and *cold* water together. Bring the stew to a
boil and whisk in some of the mixture. Let it boil for a few minutes.

--
Steve

PENMART01

(abdul rahim) writes:

>crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
>what can you add to flavor beef stew?

Um, use a *flavorful* beef cut (duh)... preferably one with bone, a cut up
7-bone roast is nice... definitely do not that pre-cut mystery meat.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Arri London

abdul rahim wrote:

> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

Depends on what you like really!

Brown the meat and the carrots before adding the liquid. That gives a
lot of flavour right there.

Lots of chiles, onions and garlic.
Lots of dried herbs during cooking and some fresh herbs before serving.
Curry spices or Jamaican jerk spices or Turkish spices or Chinese
spices.
Wine.
Addition of other vegetables.
Soy sauce and sesame oil, with a little white miso.
Sour orange juice and rind or regular orange juice with some lemon juice
added and rind.
Dark-fried onions added at the end of cooking.

Dave Smith

abdul rahim wrote:

> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?

By not using a crock pot, except maybe to heat up later and keep it warm for a pot luck
dinner. Do the stewing beef in a proper pan or heavy bottom pot and brown it first.

Ariane Jenkins

On 29 Nov 2003 22:47:01 -0800,
abdul rahim > wrote:
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

I like minced garlic and chopped onion in mine, thyme, a bay
leaf, tomatoes or a couple Tbsp. tomato paste, maybe a good slosh of
red wine.

Ariane
d w a c o n

"abdul rahim" > wrote in message
om...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

A splash of burgundy...

--

There is a word for everything...
http://tinyurl.com/n8th

-L.

(abdul rahim) wrote in message . com>...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

Roast your meat ahead of time, and use the pan drippings to make the
base of the stock. Cook the veggies in the stock, and add the meat
later, just to reheat. Spices are a must.

If starting a stock from a crock pot roast, I brown the meat first,
then add crushed garlic, thyme, bay leaf, onion powder, crushed black
pepper, onions, mushrooms, celery and carrots to the crock. Mix 1 cup
of beef or chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine with about 3T of
tomato paste- whisk together until smooth. Place browned roast in the
crockpot on top of the veggies and pour the mixture over the roast.
Cook on high one hour, reduce to low and cook about 9 hours (3 lb.
loin roast). The meat will be done and the stock will be quite tasty
- may need a little sugar, honey or corn syrup to sweeten it a little,
though. Remove the meat and cube it - set aside (fridge). Remove the
veggies and set aside (fridge). I then use the stock in the crock as
the base for the soup - set the meat aside, cook new veggies in the
stock (potatoes, parsnips, green beans, peas, whatever) and when done,
add the old veggies (from the crock) and the meat to reheat. The only
thing you need to be careful about is to keep from adding too many
veggies in with the meat to begin with - the meat needs plenty of room
to heat and breathe.

Good luck,

-L.

-L.
zxcvbob

abdul rahim wrote:
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

Brown the meat first. Add bay leaf, celery, dried or fresh parsley, thyme
(not too much!), reduce the salt and add a beef bouillon cube.

Best regards,
Bob

Tigsnona

I flavour beef stew with the following:

At least 2 tbsp tomato paste.
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
1 tsp mustard (either powdered or from a jar - but use the very hot
English one).
A good pinch or two of dried mixed herbs.
1 tsp powdered mushroom stock
a few dried porcini mushrooms soaked for about an hour, drained well
and chopped finely - use the soaking liquid also.
Use 350-450 mls good quality beef stock.

Try to pan-brown the beef cubes first and add a little finely chopped
kidney if you can. Ox kidney gives the most wonderful flavour to any
beef stew - as do porcini mushrooms!

Tigsnona

If you can keep your head when those around you
are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
the situation.
Kate B

"abdul rahim" > wrote in message
om...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

I marinate my beef cubes for 12 to 24 hours in a container along with:
cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
large yellow onions, sliced
carrots, sliced
sprigs parsley
Bouquet Garni (use leeks split in half lengthwise or halves of celery
filled with fresh or dried thyme and 3 bay leaves)
whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed
Kosher salt
Dry Red Wine minus one glass reserved (to cover meat completely)
Optional - any slightly old vegetables you want to get rid of very
coarsely chopped
Optional - any fresh herbs that you have like oregano or marjoram or a
judicious amount of rosemary.

When ready to make stew remove meat from the marinade (reserve marinade to
be added again to the stewing pot). Drain meat on paper towels and brown
meat in a heavy bottomed skillet in some type of fat (bacon fat and
vegetable oil work for me) over medium high heat. Flour sprinkled over the
meat and fat acts as a thickener.

Put meat and marinade in your stew pot and add meat broth, tomato paste,
canned tomatoes etc.

I hope this helps.

Kate

Dimitri

"abdul rahim" > wrote in message
om...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

1. Start with a flavorful cut of beef (chuck or 7 bone roast is nice)
2. Dredge the meat in seasoned flour (salt and pepper at this stage)
3. Brown all sides of the meat in hot oil till brown and nicely crusted
and set aside.
4. Add a mirepoix (diced celery, carrot and onion) and sauté till soft
and the onions are translucent.
5. Deglaze the pan with some red wine and/or beef stock
6. Return the meat to the pot and add a bouquet garni (bay leaf, parsley,
and about any other herbs you favor)
7. Add stock or a mixture of stock and red wine to cover as well as some
tomato sauce (For Brown color).
8. Add more chunky vegetables to your liking (carrot, onion, mushrooms,
turnip hold on the potatoes till later)
9. Cover and cook over low heat until almost tender
10. Add potatoes and cook till tender
11. Adjust the seasoning. If you are not allergic ass some MSG, and/or
Worchester sauce and/or some soy sauce.

Bingo - Stew!

Dimitri

Kent H.

Find any traditional recipe for BOEUF BOURGUIGNON. It must contain salt
pork and thyme and red wine, which does not HAVE to be burgundy. Follow
the recipe, browning the meat as directed; Then assemble your dish in
the crockpot. You will never be the same.
Cheers
Kent

abdul rahim wrote:

> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes, but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring ideas? thanks

Jean Clarke

I use Bovril, when I can find it. Its base is made with beef, almost
like a glaze.....It also makes a quick and tasty onion soup. It is
usually on the shelf in the markets where they place their bouillons.

Just a Jeanie

Kathy

"abdul rahim" > wrote in message
om...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

If not burgundy, then coffee. No, really! It was a Heloise hint back when I
was a kid. Makes a stew or pot roast gravy brown and toasty-tasting.

Compmouse

A little soy sauce works too.

-- Compmouse
Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
"Kent H." > wrote in message
> Find any traditional recipe for BOEUF BOURGUIGNON. It must contain salt
> pork and thyme and red wine, which does not HAVE to be burgundy. Follow
> the recipe, browning the meat as directed; Then assemble your dish in
> the crockpot. You will never be the same.
> Cheers
> Kent
>
> abdul rahim wrote:
> >
> > crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and

potatoes, but
> > what can you add to flavor beef stew?
> >
> > tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

Kent H.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Compmouse wrote:

> A little soy sauce works too.
>
> -- Compmouse
> Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
> http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > Find any traditional recipe for BOEUF BOURGUIGNON. It must contain salt
> > pork and thyme and red wine, which does not HAVE to be burgundy. Follow
> > the recipe, browning the meat as directed; Then assemble your dish in
> > the crockpot. You will never be the same.
> > Cheers
> > Kent
> >
> > abdul rahim wrote:
> > >
> > > crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and

> potatoes, but
> > > what can you add to flavor beef stew?
> > >
> > > tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

> ideas? thanks

Dimitri

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Compmouse wrote:

YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!

I win.

More yes's than no's.

Dimitri

> > A little soy sauce works too.
> >
> > -- Compmouse

spicing/flavoring
> > ideas? thanks

John D. Misrahi

I find a dark beer can work really nicely. I have made a beef stew with
guinness that was great. I generally use homebrew, but most dark commercial
beers can do nicely - the main thing is something malty and not overly
bitter. Brown ale, stout, scotch ale, etc..

john

>you might throw in a dried red pepper, removed before serving. and
>use beer instead if you're using water.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Kent H.

This is what's great about this NG, all differing opinions. I'm going to
buy that 64 oz bottle of Kikkoman soy at Ranch 99 for $3.49 and have a
go at it.
Cheers,
Kent

Dimitri wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Compmouse wrote:

> YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!
>
> I win.
>
> More yes's than no's.
>
> Dimitri
>

> > > A little soy sauce works too.
> > >
> > > -- Compmouse

> spicing/flavoring
> > > ideas? thanks

PENMART01

Miche > writes:

>>Melba's Jammin' sez:
>>
>> >Thyme, garlic. I rub about a half teaspoon of dried thyme between my
>> >palms to crush it, then let it fall over the meat. Add some minced
>> >garlic, too. Maybe a clove or two.

>> What's a clove, or do you mean clover?

>She means a clove. You know how garlic comes in a head consisting of
>lots of bits you break apart? Each of those "bits" (which has its own
>skin) is a clove.

That separate sentence, fragmented though it may be, can easily be refering to
the spice "clove"... just as does your equally fercocktah "She means a clove."

I often add a clove or two (the spice) to a pot of stew or soup. Just be sure
to count them and fish them all out... pretty easy to retrieve when stuck into
an onion, or into a strip of citrus rind.

PS Don't hold me to account for the attributions, I post em as I find em.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Daisy

:

>> Brown a little tomato paste with the meat. Adds a nice depth of flavour
>> and a little body.
>>
>> Are there any herbs you particularly like?
>>
>> Miche
>>

>I chuck in those grape tomatoes whole.
>
>Adds a whole new adventure with every bowl; when nuking stew leftovers...

I understand that MSG is derived from pineapple and tomato (I'm not
sure about mushroom tho). I guess it goes through some process to
make the powdered MSG, but I found it interesting that strong
flavoured products were used. Tomatoes added to any casserole stew
involving beef is good.

I like tomato paste in any stew. I like the idea of cooking it in a
little oil first - and I like mushrooms (especially porcini) also done
this way and added. To make the flavour even better, use the warm
water the dried porcini have soaked in also. Dried shitake mushrooms
are a good second choice.

I like fresh herbs when available. I find tarragon and thyme added to
the stew very very good. In winter (when we make most of our beef
stews) I use a good pinch of mixed dried herbs.

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.