Kate B

Default how do you flavor beef stew ?

"abdul rahim" > wrote in message
om...
> crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,

but
> what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>
> tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring

ideas? thanks

I marinate my beef cubes for 12 to 24 hours in a container along with:
cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
large yellow onions, sliced
carrots, sliced
sprigs parsley
Bouquet Garni (use leeks split in half lengthwise or halves of celery
filled with fresh or dried thyme and 3 bay leaves)
whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed
Kosher salt
Dry Red Wine minus one glass reserved (to cover meat completely)
Optional - any slightly old vegetables you want to get rid of very
coarsely chopped
Optional - any fresh herbs that you have like oregano or marjoram or a
judicious amount of rosemary.

When ready to make stew remove meat from the marinade (reserve marinade to
be added again to the stewing pot). Drain meat on paper towels and brown
meat in a heavy bottomed skillet in some type of fat (bacon fat and
vegetable oil work for me) over medium high heat. Flour sprinkled over the
meat and fat acts as a thickener.

Put meat and marinade in your stew pot and add meat broth, tomato paste,
canned tomatoes etc.

I hope this helps.

Kate