Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mango Ginger Dipping Sauce

Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
Enjoy

(from Tabasco)

2 c pureed rip mangos
2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
juice of 1 orange
3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil

In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
sauce.

--
A two faced, low-life, sorry excuse for a person, posting on
rec.food.cooking steals other posters' pics posing them as their own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
> Enjoy
>
> (from Tabasco)
>
> 2 c pureed rip mangos
> 2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
> 2 tbsp rice vinegar
> 2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
> 1 clove garlic, chopped
> 1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
> juice of 1 orange
> 3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
>
> In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
> until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
> individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
> sauce.
>

> --

Mango is a very versatile ingredient for savory dishes. :-)

I'm looking forward to them being 3 for $1.00 on sale.
I'm considering making up a bunch of puree and freezing it.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
>>Enjoy
>>
>>(from Tabasco)
>>
>>2 c pureed rip mangos
>>2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
>>2 tbsp rice vinegar
>>2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
>>1 clove garlic, chopped
>>1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
>>juice of 1 orange
>>3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
>>
>>In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
>>until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
>>individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
>>sauce.
>>

>>--

> Mango is a very versatile ingredient for savory dishes. :-)
>
> I'm looking forward to them being 3 for $1.00 on sale.
> I'm considering making up a bunch of puree and freezing it.

This sauce is rather nice. I've never made it using just regular
Tabasco but I think you could if you don't want the heat of habs. I
love habs myselft but they might be too hot for others. I have a nice
mango jam recipe if you are interested. Mangos never get that cheap
here but still they aren't terribly expensive. The puree idea sounds
good. I think I'll give that a try too.

--
A two faced, low-life, sorry excuse for a person, posting on
rec.food.cooking steals other posters' pics posing them as their own.
The same two faced piece of crap likes to harass other posters and is an
internet stalker. This gutless wonder tries to use intimidation to
harass other posters on rfc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> > Mango is a very versatile ingredient for savory dishes. :-)
> >
> > I'm looking forward to them being 3 for $1.00 on sale.
> > I'm considering making up a bunch of puree and freezing it.

> This sauce is rather nice. I've never made it using just regular
> Tabasco but I think you could if you don't want the heat of habs. I
> love habs myselft but they might be too hot for others.

I like them for the flavor, I just go easy on them. <G>

> I have a nice
> mango jam recipe if you are interested.

Normally I would be, but I have to take it easy on fruit and sugar.
<sigh>

> Mangos never get that cheap
> here but still they aren't terribly expensive. The puree idea sounds
> good. I think I'll give that a try too.

Try my tropical chicken sometime. :-) It's simple and delicious.
2 pureed mangos, 1 can of crushed pineapple canned in pineapple juice
(no sugar added), 1 bunch of scallions chopped, a little fresh ground
tri-color pepper. Salt to taste. Do NOT add garlic to this! It does not
work. <G> A little fresh ginger might, I've not tried that.

Take a whole chicken and cut it in half down the middle, then lay it
bone side down in a roasting pan or cast iron skillet with a little EVOO
in the bottom. Pile your choice of chunked veggies around that, then
pour the sauce over it. Add the pepper last, don't mix it with the fruit
and onions.

Roast until done according to the weight of the chicken. 375 degrees.

It's awesome....

I recommend carrots cut in large sections, whole mushrooms and quartered
chinese cabbage, and maybe some quartered onions. I don't eat potatoes
anymore. Turnips might work too.

This BTW is an original recipe. I s'pose I ought to donate it to the RFC
cookbook. <G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Try my tropical chicken sometime. :-) It's simple and delicious.
> 2 pureed mangos, 1 can of crushed pineapple canned in pineapple juice
> (no sugar added), 1 bunch of scallions chopped, a little fresh ground
> tri-color pepper. Salt to taste. Do NOT add garlic to this! It does not
> work. <G> A little fresh ginger might, I've not tried that.
>
> Take a whole chicken and cut it in half down the middle, then lay it
> bone side down in a roasting pan or cast iron skillet with a little EVOO
> in the bottom. Pile your choice of chunked veggies around that, then
> pour the sauce over it. Add the pepper last, don't mix it with the fruit
> and onions.
>
> Roast until done according to the weight of the chicken. 375 degrees.
>
> It's awesome....
>
> I recommend carrots cut in large sections, whole mushrooms and quartered
> chinese cabbage, and maybe some quartered onions. I don't eat potatoes
> anymore. Turnips might work too.
>
> This BTW is an original recipe. I s'pose I ought to donate it to the RFC
> cookbook. <G>

I'll second that. We have tried this (thanks Om) and it was delish!

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>>Mango is a very versatile ingredient for savory dishes. :-)
>>>
>>>I'm looking forward to them being 3 for $1.00 on sale.
>>>I'm considering making up a bunch of puree and freezing it.

>>This sauce is rather nice. I've never made it using just regular
>>Tabasco but I think you could if you don't want the heat of habs. I
>>love habs myselft but they might be too hot for others.

> I like them for the flavor, I just go easy on them. <G>
>
>>I have a nice
>>mango jam recipe if you are interested.

> Normally I would be, but I have to take it easy on fruit and sugar.
> <sigh>
>
>>Mangos never get that cheap
>>here but still they aren't terribly expensive. The puree idea sounds
>>good. I think I'll give that a try too.

> Try my tropical chicken sometime. :-) It's simple and delicious.
> 2 pureed mangos, 1 can of crushed pineapple canned in pineapple juice
> (no sugar added), 1 bunch of scallions chopped, a little fresh ground
> tri-color pepper. Salt to taste. Do NOT add garlic to this! It does not
> work. <G> A little fresh ginger might, I've not tried that.
>
> Take a whole chicken and cut it in half down the middle, then lay it
> bone side down in a roasting pan or cast iron skillet with a little EVOO
> in the bottom. Pile your choice of chunked veggies around that, then
> pour the sauce over it. Add the pepper last, don't mix it with the fruit
> and onions.
>
> Roast until done according to the weight of the chicken. 375 degrees.
>
> It's awesome....
>
> I recommend carrots cut in large sections, whole mushrooms and quartered
> chinese cabbage, and maybe some quartered onions. I don't eat potatoes
> anymore. Turnips might work too.
>
> This BTW is an original recipe. I s'pose I ought to donate it to the RFC
> cookbook. <G>

Sounds like a really nice recipe. I'll try it out and let you know what
I think. I've offered to contribute a couple of my recipes to the
cookbook. These would be recipes I've created myself. Obviously, my
contribution offer is not welcomed so oh well.

On the topic of scallions - I saw a show on foodtv the name of which
escapes me right now - but the discussion was scallions. They showed
the scallions and I immediately thought those look like green onions.
Later in the show the chef/cook said that scallions are referred to as
green onions in some locals. So are they the same thing as green onions
or are they different?

--
There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

> > Try my tropical chicken sometime. :-) It's simple and delicious.
> > 2 pureed mangos, 1 can of crushed pineapple canned in pineapple juice
> > (no sugar added), 1 bunch of scallions chopped, a little fresh ground
> > tri-color pepper. Salt to taste. Do NOT add garlic to this! It does not
> > work. <G> A little fresh ginger might, I've not tried that.
> >
> > Take a whole chicken and cut it in half down the middle, then lay it
> > bone side down in a roasting pan or cast iron skillet with a little EVOO
> > in the bottom. Pile your choice of chunked veggies around that, then
> > pour the sauce over it. Add the pepper last, don't mix it with the fruit
> > and onions.
> >
> > Roast until done according to the weight of the chicken. 375 degrees.
> >
> > It's awesome....
> >
> > I recommend carrots cut in large sections, whole mushrooms and quartered
> > chinese cabbage, and maybe some quartered onions. I don't eat potatoes
> > anymore. Turnips might work too.
> >
> > This BTW is an original recipe. I s'pose I ought to donate it to the RFC
> > cookbook. <G>

> I'll second that. We have tried this (thanks Om) and it was delish!
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Why thank you!!! :-)
Glad you enjoyed....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> > This BTW is an original recipe. I s'pose I ought to donate it to the RFC
> > cookbook. <G>

> Sounds like a really nice recipe. I'll try it out and let you know what
> I think. I've offered to contribute a couple of my recipes to the
> cookbook. These would be recipes I've created myself. Obviously, my
> contribution offer is not welcomed so oh well.

Relax... Don't be so hasty! :-)

> On the topic of scallions - I saw a show on foodtv the name of which
> escapes me right now - but the discussion was scallions. They showed
> the scallions and I immediately thought those look like green onions.
> Later in the show the chef/cook said that scallions are referred to as
> green onions in some locals. So are they the same thing as green onions
> or are they different?

Same same. Little scrawny things resembling miniature leeks.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
> Enjoy
>
> (from Tabasco)
>
> 2 c pureed rip mangos
> 2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
> 2 tbsp rice vinegar
> 2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
> 1 clove garlic, chopped
> 1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
> juice of 1 orange
> 3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
>
> In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
> until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
> individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
> sauce.

Have you actually tried this? It seems like I'd have several issues with it,
but the recent waffle-spinach chicken recipe has shown that we can't always
gauge a recipe by reading it. Here are my specific concerns:

1. It seems like it would be quite thick; a bit thicker than catsup. Maybe
that's intentional, but I'm just curious.

2. It seems like it would have a "raw" curry taste, but maybe the curry just
kind of blends into the background, or maybe it depends on the specific
curry powder you use. (After all, some curry powders are *much* more pungent
than others.)

3. I'm not sure why it contains oil. Would it make a big difference if the
oil was left out?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
>>Enjoy
>>
>>(from Tabasco)
>>
>>2 c pureed rip mangos
>>2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
>>2 tbsp rice vinegar
>>2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
>>1 clove garlic, chopped
>>1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
>>juice of 1 orange
>>3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
>>
>>In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
>>until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
>>individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
>>sauce.

> Have you actually tried this? It seems like I'd have several issues with it,
> but the recent waffle-spinach chicken recipe has shown that we can't always
> gauge a recipe by reading it. Here are my specific concerns:

Bob, yes we have tried the recipe and we really like it. I don't post
any recipe that I have not tried at least once. I won't post a recipe
that I've tried and we didn't like.

> 1. It seems like it would be quite thick; a bit thicker than catsup. Maybe
> that's intentional, but I'm just curious.

Hmm, as far as thickness likely about that. I don't whether the recipe
was designed to be this thick as it isn't my recipe but it is a good
dipping sauce. You don't want a real thin sauce for dipping as it has
no staying power.

> 2. It seems like it would have a "raw" curry taste, but maybe the curry just
> kind of blends into the background, or maybe it depends on the specific
> curry powder you use. (After all, some curry powders are *much* more pungent
> than others.)

I don't think it tastes like raw curry. The flavours meld nicely.

> 3. I'm not sure why it contains oil. Would it make a big difference if the
> oil was left out?

My guess would be to try a batch with the oil and one without to see
which is preferrable. IMO the oil is included for a reason, likely for
texture and perhaps for a little flavour. Let us know how you make out
with omitting the oil.

--
There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
theft of intellectual property. This is contrary to DMCA of 1998
punishable by law. The same thief likes to harass other posters and is
an internet stalker. This thief likes to use intimidation to harass
other posters on rfc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-03, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> 2. It seems like it would have a "raw" curry taste, but maybe the curry just
> kind of blends into the background, or maybe it depends on the specific
> curry powder you use. (After all, some curry powders are *much* more pungent
> than others.)

Curry powders, on the whole, suck. Curry isn't a spice, its a type of
dish. Use a curry paste for better results. Plenty of Thai and
Indian curry pastes available in supermarkets, these days.

> 3. I'm not sure why it contains oil. Would it make a big difference if the
> oil was left out?

Fats are a great flavor transport. I'd go with a more benign oil,
like canola.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
> Enjoy
>
> (from Tabasco)
>
> 2 c pureed rip mangos
> 2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
> 2 tbsp rice vinegar
> 2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
> 1 clove garlic, chopped
> 1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
> juice of 1 orange
> 3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
>
> In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
> until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
> individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
> sauce.
>

> --

A two faced, low-life, sorry excuse for a person, posting on
rec.food.cooking steals other other people's recipes, posing them as
their own.
The same two faced piece of crap likes to harass other posters and is
an
internet stalker. This gutless wonder tries to use intimidation to
harass other posters on rec.food. This "gutless wonder's" name is
"Patches".

And, furthermore, she stole it from he

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...4/236315.shtml

It's from the Martinique Bistro in New Orleans...

Theif!

HTH,
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-03, ~patches~ > wrote:

> dipping sauce. You don't want a real thin sauce for dipping as it has
> no staying power.

Whatdya mean, no staying power? Doesn't hide the dish all the way
through mastication? Actually allows the flavor of the dish to come
through? And what the Hell does thickness have to do with it? Many
Asian dipping sauces are relatively thin and taste great. Where do
you come up with this nonsense?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-04-03, ~patches~ > wrote:
>
> > dipping sauce. You don't want a real thin sauce for dipping as it has
> > no staying power.

> Whatdya mean, no staying power? Doesn't hide the dish all the way
> through mastication? Actually allows the flavor of the dish to come
> through? And what the Hell does thickness have to do with it? Many
> Asian dipping sauces are relatively thin and taste great. Where do
> you come up with this nonsense?
>
> nb

She steals the recipes and then makes the BS up...

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...4/236315.shtml

The recipe is from the Martinique Bistro in New Orleans.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

>> 1. It seems like it would be quite thick; a bit thicker than catsup.
>> Maybe
>> that's intentional, but I'm just curious.

> Hmm, as far as thickness likely about that. I don't whether the recipe
> was designed to be this thick as it isn't my recipe but it is a good
> dipping sauce. You don't want a real thin sauce for dipping as it has no
> staying power.

Well, it depends on what you're dipping. :-) For example, the dipping sauce
for potstickers is usually very thin.

When it comes to dipping sauces for meats or fish, I like them to be
definitely thinner than catsup. (I was going to say I like them about the
thickness of maple syrup, but then I realized that maple syrup's viscosity
can vary greatly from brand to brand.)

I've posted a recipe for an apricot-guava dipping sauce several times here;
that sauce is made from slightly-reduced fruit nectars rather than puréed
fruit, so it's a bit thinner -- which is what I'm after in a dipping sauce.
I just want something that will lightly coat whatever gets dipped into it.
Still, it ought to be easy enough to make the sauce thinner, and the recipe
you posted has the advantage of not cooking the fruit, which ought to make
for a fresher taste.

I've also posted a recipe for "Inner Beauty Hot Sauce" here. It's a
mango-habañero-curry hot sauce which (come to think of it) is fairly close
to the recipe you posted, although it doesn't contain any oil and it
contains a lot more seasonings. I don't think of that as a dipping sauce,
though: If you used it as a dipping sauce, its thickness would mean that
whatever you dipped into it would be overwhelmed by its VERY strong flavors.

At any rate, thanks for posting the recipe, and I'll give it a try -- I just
have to figure out exactly how I'll use it!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Here's a nice dipping sauce to go with grilled chicken and more.
>>Enjoy
>>
>>(from Tabasco)
>>
>>2 c pureed rip mangos
>>2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
>>2 tbsp rice vinegar
>>2-4 tbsp Tabasco Habanero Pepper Sauce
>>1 clove garlic, chopped
>>1/4 tsp yellow curry powder
>>juice of 1 orange
>>3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
>>
>>In a blender, use the puree setting to plend together all ingredients
>>until the sauce is very smooth. Serve at room temperature in small
>>individual bowls. Dip grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or finsh into the
>>sauce.
>>

>>--

> A two faced, low-life, sorry excuse for a person, posting on
> rec.food.cooking steals other other people's recipes, posing them as
> their own.
> The same two faced piece of crap likes to harass other posters and is
> an
> internet stalker. This gutless wonder tries to use intimidation to
> harass other posters on rec.food. This "gutless wonder's" name is
> "Patches".
>
> And, furthermore, she stole it from he
>
> http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...4/236315.shtml
>
> It's from the Martinique Bistro in New Orleans...
>
> Theif!
>
> HTH,
> -L.

Nope sweet cheeks. Nice try but no cookie for you. I attributed to the
source I got it from on the Tabasco box and I attributed it to Tabasco
as per my post. Want me to post a pic of the actual box complete with
the recipes? Let me take the pic then upload it. Actually for best
viewing I'll need to post 2 views of the box. You will see the box, the
Tabasco logo and bottle pic as well as the recipe. It's going to take
me about an hour or so but I will post it tonight. The image will
maintain my copyright. Cheers sweet cheeks!

--
There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
theft of intellectual property. This is contrary to DMCA of 1998
punishable by law. The same thief likes to harass other posters and is
an internet stalker. This thief likes to use intimidation to harass
other posters on rfc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-04-03, ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>dipping sauce. You don't want a real thin sauce for dipping as it has
>>no staying power.

> Whatdya mean, no staying power? Doesn't hide the dish all the way
> through mastication? Actually allows the flavor of the dish to come
> through? And what the Hell does thickness have to do with it? Many
> Asian dipping sauces are relatively thin and taste great. Where do
> you come up with this nonsense?
>
> nb

Staying power as in the sauce is not running and lacking in flavour or
texture. This sauce has both. We like the sauce. I posted the recipe
as it is on the Tabasco box. If you don't want to try it, don't. I'm
not going to argue with you on this one. In case you haven't noticed I
have another little thing going here

--
There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
theft of intellectual property. This is contrary to DMCA of 1998
punishable by law. The same thief likes to harass other posters and is
an internet stalker. This thief likes to use intimidation to harass
other posters on rfc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>
>>On 2006-04-03, ~patches~ > wrote:
>>

>>>dipping sauce. You don't want a real thin sauce for dipping as it has
>>>no staying power.

>>Whatdya mean, no staying power? Doesn't hide the dish all the way
>>through mastication? Actually allows the flavor of the dish to come
>>through? And what the Hell does thickness have to do with it? Many
>>Asian dipping sauces are relatively thin and taste great. Where do
>>you come up with this nonsense?
>>
>>nb

> She steals the recipes and then makes the BS up...
>
> http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...4/236315.shtml
>
> The recipe is from the Martinique Bistro in New Orleans.
>
> -L.

Ok sweet cheeks. Look for the pics I will upload to tinypic. It's
quite clear where I got the recipe from. If Tabasco got the recipe from
this Bistro of visa versa is not my concern. I cited where I got it
from, Tabasco. I maintain copyright of any images posted.

--
There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
theft of intellectual property. This is contrary to DMCA of 1998
punishable by law. The same thief likes to harass other posters and is
an internet stalker. This thief likes to use intimidation to harass
other posters on rfc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-04-03, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
> > 2. It seems like it would have a "raw" curry taste, but maybe the curry just
> > kind of blends into the background, or maybe it depends on the specific
> > curry powder you use. (After all, some curry powders are *much* more pungent
> > than others.)

> Curry powders, on the whole, suck. Curry isn't a spice, its a type of
> dish. Use a curry paste for better results. Plenty of Thai and
> Indian curry pastes available in supermarkets, these days.
>
> > 3. I'm not sure why it contains oil. Would it make a big difference if the
> > oil was left out?

> Fats are a great flavor transport. I'd go with a more benign oil,
> like canola.
>
> nb

Apparently a lot of people don't care for Canola. It's all we use
here...
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-04, -L. > wrote:

> Apparently a lot of people don't care for Canola. It's all we use
> here...

Yeah, some sorta Canadian commie plot or some such nonsense.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-04-04, -L. > wrote:
>
> > Apparently a lot of people don't care for Canola.
> > It's all we use here...

> Yeah, some sorta Canadian commie plot or some such nonsense.

Erucic acid is an indigestible fat for which the FDA sets limits.
It causes cardiac abnormalities when fed in large quantities
to rats. Rapeseed oil wasn't considered fit for human consumption
until varieties of rapeseed low in erucic acid were developed.
For oil made from this seed, they invented the new name "canola oil"
(probably after turning down names like "murderseed oil"). The
"can" in "canola" is for Canada. I guess that's where the
low-erucic acid rapeseed was developed.

Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand [A].
1980 May;88(3):179-87.
Heart pathology in rats fed partially hydrogenated
fish oil, rapeseed oil or peanut oil for 30 weeks.
Svaar H, Langmark FT.

132 male Sprague-Dawley rats were given diets for
30 weeks including rapeseed oil with 41.4%
erucic acid, partially hydrogenated fish oil with
15.1% docosenoic acids, or peanut oil with no
docosenoic acids. Four diets were isocaloric and
contained respectively 21% rapeseed oil (8.7%
w/w erucic acid), 10.5% rapeseed oil and 10.5%
peanut oil (4.4% w/w erucic acid), 21% partially
hydrogenated fish oil (3.2% w/w docosenoic acids)
and 21% peanut oil. The fifth diet contained
4.3% peanut oil. The relative heart weights
increased in rats fed rapeseed oil and
partially hydrogenated fish oil, and abnormally
enlarged hearts were found in 32% of the rats fed
21% rapeseed oil and in 5% of those fed 10.5%
rapeseed oil. Heart lesions consisting of focal or
confluent destruction of muscle cells were seen
in all groups. The incidence was 96% and the
average severity grade 2.5 when 21% rapeseed
oil was given, and 61% and 1.3 respectively
when 10.5% rapeseed oil was given. Minor heart
lesions were found in 14% of the rats fed 21%
partially hydrogenated fish oil, in 39% of those
fed 21% peanut oil and in 12% when 4.3%
peanut oil was given. It is concluded that
partially hydrogenated fish oil is markedly less
cardiopathogenic than high erucic rapeseed oil.
The heart lesions that were found do not differ
in incidence, severity or morphology from those
found when peanut oil was given, or from those
reported when other control fats and oils are
given to rats for prolonged feeding periods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> > Apparently a lot of people don't care for Canola. It's all we use
> > here...

> Yeah, some sorta Canadian commie plot or some such nonsense.

I just don't like the taste. It tastes rancid, or like you fried
fish in it. Blech. I use olive oil, sunflower seed oil, corn oil for
cooking (along with butter and lard), walnut, sesame, hazelnut and
almond for salads and flavoring.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.