Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Cheese on your Cheeseburger, Please?

I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler knock-off.
So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
food slices"*, thank you very much.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
>knock-off.
> So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
> American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
> food slices"*, thank you very much.
>
> Jill

As a midwesterner from the old Wisconsin dairy country I am somewhat biased.
There are only three choices, cheddar, cheddar, and cheddar.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:37:45 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler knock-off.
>So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
>American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
>food slices"*, thank you very much.

Land O'Lakes American cheese (not cheesefood) sliced from a 2 pound
block. They were 3 pounders when I was a kid.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 05:37:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
> knock-off. So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third,
> Gruyere. I'll eat American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not*
> those "processed cheese food slices"*, thank you very much.
>
> Jill

I rarely put cheese on a burger, but when I do it must be "processed cheese
food slices", either Kraft American or Old English, or Velveeta, and it must
be put on the burger long enough to melt in.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

provolone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler

knock-off.
> So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
> American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
> food slices"*, thank you very much.
>
> Jill

I like blue cheese the best... kinda hidden in the center of the burger. I
guess that would be "in your burger though, not on your burger".

Slice of Cabot Vermont cheddar isn't too shabby either.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler knock-off.
> So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
> American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
> food slices"*, thank you very much.
>
> Jill

I *like* processed cheese slices!

I had a burger Wednesday with bleu cheese crumbles on it and it was great.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Duh'Wayne bragged:
> jmcquown writes:
>
> > I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
> > knock-off. So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third,
> > Gruyere. I'll eat American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not*
> > those "processed cheese food slices"*, thank you very much.

> when I do it must be "processed cheese food slices".

Why waste real $7/lb cheese on a fercocktah $2/lb mystery meat booger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Duh'Wayne bragged:
>> jmcquown writes:
>>
>>> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
>>> knock-off. So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third,
>>> Gruyere. I'll eat American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not*
>>> those "processed cheese food slices"*, thank you very much.

>> when I do it must be "processed cheese food slices".

> Why waste real $7/lb cheese on a fercocktah $2/lb mystery meat booger.

To whom are you replying? You quote both me and Wayne then refer to $7/lb
cheese, which I'm pretty sure the "processed cheese food slices" are not.
And I don't pay $7/lb for slices of Swiss.

I wish I could grind my own, I really do. But it wouldn't be cost effective
for me because I don't necessarily cook meat the same day I buy it. Sorry,
but I have to freeze it; I don't have much freezer space. And since you
live in the middle of nowhere, how is it you are able to buy all that
quality beef, grind it and use it all up the same day?

In one post you said you make 6 burgers at a time; that's fair. But do you
drive all the way (1 hour, IIRC) to the store to buy the meat to grind for
only 6 burgers? That hardly seems worth the trouble not to mention the cost
of gasoline. Perhaps you can clarify. Maybe you're grinding enough to make
48 burgers and I missed that. But then, what do you do with the rest of the
meat you've ground?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Apr 2006 17:34:27 -0800, "Ace Berserker" >
wrote:

>provolone

No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2006 17:34:27 -0800, "Ace Berserker" >
> wrote:
>
>>provolone

> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!
>
> serene

what are you, the boss of hamburgerville?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 07:38:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Duh'Wayne bragged:

>>> when I do it must be "processed cheese food slices".

>> Why waste real $7/lb cheese on a fercocktah $2/lb mystery meat booger.

> To whom are you replying? You quote both me and Wayne then refer to
> $7/lb cheese, which I'm pretty sure the "processed cheese food slices"
> are not. And I don't pay $7/lb for slices of Swiss.
>
> I wish I could grind my own, I really do. But it wouldn't be cost
> effective for me because I don't necessarily cook meat the same day I
> buy it. Sorry, but I have to freeze it; I don't have much freezer
> space. And since you live in the middle of nowhere, how is it you are
> able to buy all that quality beef, grind it and use it all up the same
> day?
>
> In one post you said you make 6 burgers at a time; that's fair. But do
> you drive all the way (1 hour, IIRC) to the store to buy the meat to
> grind for only 6 burgers? That hardly seems worth the trouble not to
> mention the cost of gasoline. Perhaps you can clarify. Maybe you're
> grinding enough to make 48 burgers and I missed that. But then, what do
> you do with the rest of the meat you've ground?

Always consider the source, Jill. Always...

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:47:27 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>> On 1 Apr 2006 17:34:27 -0800, "Ace Berserker" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>provolone

>> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!
>>
>> serene

>what are you, the boss of hamburgerville?

Why, yes. Yes, I am.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:53:48 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:47:27 GMT, The Bubbo >
>wrote:
>
>>Serene wrote:

>>> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!

>>what are you, the boss of hamburgerville?

>Why, yes. Yes, I am.

No you're not, young lady! You are the GODDESS of Hamburgerville, and
don't you forget it!

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:47:27 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>Serene wrote:

>>> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!
>>>
>>> serene

>>what are you, the boss of hamburgerville?

> Why, yes. Yes, I am.
>
> serene

oh, okay. I'm the mayor of wienertown. Nice to meet you.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:37:45 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler knock-off.
> So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
> American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
> food slices"*, thank you very much.

Kraft American cheese on a bun that includes Miracle Whip.

Yeah, I went there.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:38:10 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I wish I could grind my own, I really do. But it wouldn't be cost effective
>for me because I don't necessarily cook meat the same day I buy it.

I have the ability to grind my own (thank you again, Mystery Birthday
Bunny), but I have yet to find even the cheapest cuts of beef that
were less than the cost of hamburger. You eat what you can afford.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:56:11 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:53:48 -0800, Serene >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:47:27 GMT, The Bubbo >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>what are you, the boss of hamburgerville?

>>Why, yes. Yes, I am.

>No you're not, young lady! You are the GODDESS of Hamburgerville, and
>don't you forget it!

Okay, okay! I know better than to argue with the head trollop,
ferpetesake!

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:57:22 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>oh, okay. I'm the mayor of wienertown. Nice to meet you.

Heh heh. She said "wiener".

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> On 1 Apr 2006 17:34:27 -0800, "Ace Berserker" >
> wrote:
>
>>provolone

> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!
>
> serene

Well, of course there's no cheese on hamburgers. Once you put cheese on
them, they become cheeseburgers.

HTH,

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:57:22 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>oh, okay. I'm the mayor of wienertown. Nice to meet you.

> Heh heh. She said "wiener".
>
> serene

WIENER!!!!!!!
Wiener.
wiener

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Apr 2006 05:09:02 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat 01 Apr 2006 07:58:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Yeff?
>
>> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:37:45 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
>>> knock-off. So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third,
>>> Gruyere. I'll eat American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not*
>>> those "processed cheese food slices"*, thank you very much.

>> Kraft American cheese on a bun that includes Miracle Whip.
>>
>> Yeah, I went there.
>>

>Maybe you could send one of those to Serene. :-)

*giggle*

Actually, this reminds me of a favorite from my childhood that I would
probably hate these days. They were called Yumbos, and my mom made
them all the time. Hamburger bun with ham, mayo, and a slice of
cheese. Microwave it for half a minute or so (it was longer with the
old microwaves). It was all slimy, with melted cheese and cooked mayo
and stuff, but as kids, we *loved* it.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 07:58:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Yeff?

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:37:45 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
>> knock-off. So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third,
>> Gruyere. I'll eat American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not*
>> those "processed cheese food slices"*, thank you very much.

> Kraft American cheese on a bun that includes Miracle Whip.
>
> Yeah, I went there.

Maybe you could send one of those to Serene. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler knock-off.
> So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third, Gruyere. I'll eat
> American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not* those "processed cheese
> food slices"*, thank you very much.

I thought that "American" was, essentially, "processed cheese food
slices", so please let me know what is the difference. Me, I love a
grilled burger with a slab of Kraft American warmed till it's melted,
loaded with crisp lettuce and tomato, you can keep your condiments (I
practice unsafe eating, apparently), on a nice firm bun. I can't stand
those flabby sweet potato rolls that seems to have swept the nation
(US, of course).

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I like processed cheese slices!

I like that one little bitty burgers. The cold-pack cheddar spread is
good on a burger too, as is pepper-jack.

My problem is that I'm just not a big burger fan, so I don't eat a lot
them, cheese or not.

Brian
won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:38:10 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> I wish I could grind my own, I really do. But it wouldn't be cost
>> effective for me because I don't necessarily cook meat the same day
>> I buy it.

> I have the ability to grind my own (thank you again, Mystery Birthday
> Bunny), but I have yet to find even the cheapest cuts of beef that
> were less than the cost of hamburger. You eat what you can afford.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Amen!! I got 6 pounds of "mystery meat" burger at 99 cents/lb. What would
it cost me if I wanted to grind 6 pounds of meat for burgers from, say, a
chuck roast that cost $2.59/lb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:24:35 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I got 6 pounds of "mystery meat" burger at 99 cents/lb. What would
>it cost me if I wanted to grind 6 pounds of meat for burgers from, say, a
>chuck roast that cost $2.59/lb?

You want me to do math this late at night? Try me in the morning.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:08:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

> On 2 Apr 2006 05:09:02 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Kraft American cheese on a bun that includes Miracle Whip.
>>>
>>> Yeah, I went there.
>>>

>>Maybe you could send one of those to Serene. :-)

> *giggle*
>
> Actually, this reminds me of a favorite from my childhood that I would
> probably hate these days. They were called Yumbos, and my mom made
> them all the time. Hamburger bun with ham, mayo, and a slice of
> cheese. Microwave it for half a minute or so (it was longer with the
> old microwaves). It was all slimy, with melted cheese and cooked mayo
> and stuff, but as kids, we *loved* it.
>
> serene

Actually, I very rarely put cheese on a burger, but when I do it has to be
melted well. I could do without the mayo. :-) What I really like is a
slice of raw onion, either pickle or relish, and mustard with just a dot or
two of catsup.

Another addition I really like but rarely have is a good smear of peanut
butter with all of the above. Now *that* ought to turn lots of people off!
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I love (American) Swiss cheese on a burger which is an Emmentaler
>> knock-off. So Emmentaler would be a close second for me and third,
>> Gruyere. I'll eat American or Cheddar on a burger, sure, but *not*
>> those "processed cheese food slices"*, thank you very much.

> I thought that "American" was, essentially, "processed cheese food
> slices", so please let me know what is the difference.

The difference is, "American" is real cheese made from fresh milk. The
"processed cheese food slices" contain some milk solids but the slices
themselves (to me) are more like orange plastic wrapped in plastic.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/7806sci2.html

If you read through the above, it will tell you the exact differences
between natural cheese and the "processed cheese food". The gyst of it is
from snippets of the text he

"cheese is a concentrated dairy food made from milk"
"Pasteurized process cheese, for example, is made from one or more cheeses,
such as cheddar or colby, and may have cream or anhydrous milkfat added. The
cheese is blended and heated with an emulsifier-typically a sodium or
potassium phosphate, tartrate, or citrate-and other optional ingredients
such as water, salt, artificial color, and spices or other flavorings.

The cheese is then poured into molds to solidify and is later packaged. This
processing produces a smooth, mild-tasting cheese that melts easily."

Me, I love a
> grilled burger with a slab of Kraft American warmed till it's melted,
> loaded with crisp lettuce and tomato, you can keep your condiments (I
> practice unsafe eating, apparently), on a nice firm bun.

I'm not a condiments fan, either.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:07:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?
>
>> Serene wrote:

>>> Heh heh. She said "wiener".
>>>
>>> serene

>> WIENER!!!!!!!
>> Wiener.
>> wiener
>>

> Hey, once a weiner always a weiner!

Would you like to be a citizen of wienerville?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:07:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> Serene wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:57:22 GMT, The Bubbo >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>oh, okay. I'm the mayor of wienertown. Nice to meet you.

>> Heh heh. She said "wiener".
>>
>> serene

> WIENER!!!!!!!
> Wiener.
> wiener

Hey, once a weiner always a weiner!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> On 1 Apr 2006 17:34:27 -0800, "Ace Berserker" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> provolone

>> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!
>>
>> serene

> Well, of course there's no cheese on hamburgers. Once you put cheese
> on them, they become cheeseburgers.
>
> HTH,
>
> Donna

Hence the subject of my post

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Apr 2006 05:31:37 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Actually, I very rarely put cheese on a burger, but when I do it has to be
>melted well. I could do without the mayo. :-) What I really like is a
>slice of raw onion, either pickle or relish, and mustard with just a dot or
>two of catsup.

Burger, American cheese, bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato. And a knife
and fork. On a plate. No bun. Or skip the mayo, lettuce and tomato
and add fried onion in their place.

>Another addition I really like but rarely have is a good smear of peanut
>butter with all of the above. Now *that* ought to turn lots of people off!
>:-)

You are one sick puppy! On the other hand, try sour cream on your
burger sometime.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bg Bg is offline

McMayor, maybe.

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Serene wrote:
>> On 1 Apr 2006 17:34:27 -0800, "Ace Berserker" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>provolone

>> No cheese on hamburgers! I have spoken!
>>
>> serene

> what are you, the boss of hamburgerville?
>
> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Apr 2006 05:31:37 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Another addition I really like but rarely have is a good smear of peanut
>butter with all of the above. Now *that* ought to turn lots of people off!
>:-)

This is a recipe from eGullet... I immediately thought of this when
you talked about peanut butter on burgers...

Supposedly, they are very good.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r305.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:32:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:07:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
>> Bubbo?

>>> WIENER!!!!!!!
>>> Wiener.
>>> wiener
>>>

>> Hey, once a weiner always a weiner!
>>

> Would you like to be a citizen of wienerville?

Absolutely!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:32:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:07:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
>>> Bubbo?

>>> Hey, once a weiner always a weiner!
>>>

>> Would you like to be a citizen of wienerville?
>>

> Absolutely!

I dub thee Wiener Boatwright, first wiener jester of wienerville.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:33:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 2 Apr 2006 05:31:37 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually, I very rarely put cheese on a burger, but when I do it has to
>>be melted well. I could do without the mayo. :-) What I really like is
>>a slice of raw onion, either pickle or relish, and mustard with just a
>>dot or two of catsup.

> Burger, American cheese, bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato. And a knife
> and fork. On a plate. No bun. Or skip the mayo, lettuce and tomato
> and add fried onion in their place.
>
>>Another addition I really like but rarely have is a good smear of peanut
>>butter with all of the above. Now *that* ought to turn lots of people
>>off!
>>:-)

> You are one sick puppy! On the other hand, try sour cream on your
> burger sometime.

Ugh! No sicker than that. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:24:35 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> I got 6 pounds of "mystery meat" burger at 99 cents/lb. What would
>> it cost me if I wanted to grind 6 pounds of meat for burgers from,
>> say, a chuck roast that cost $2.59/lb?

> You want me to do math this late at night? Try me in the morning.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

LOL I was being facetious, of course. Obviously it would have cost lots
more!

Jill