Old 21-03-2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All Clad cookie sheets

Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

Thanks -

Jeneen

PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
about half off.

Old 21-03-2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
Sommers?

Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

Thanks -

Jeneen

PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
about half off.

Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they will
not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 21-03-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
28.19...
[...]

Another vote for what Wayne said. Deal with the way aluminum pans get messy
looking. Pick up some Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, right near the
Comet & Ajax in the supermarket. Put some elbow grease into cleaning them
from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath with
a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

Old 21-03-2006, 05:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
. 228.19...
[...]

Wayne Boatwright o?o

Another vote for what Wayne said. Deal with the way aluminum pans get messy
looking. Pick up some Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, right near the
Comet & Ajax in the supermarket. Put some elbow grease into cleaning them
from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath with
a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

or use parchment paper

Old 21-03-2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.chefsresource.com/alcooksheet.html

Old 21-03-2006, 12:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:40:09a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
Sommers?

Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
but would like to see what other people's experiences have been.
There are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless.

Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they
will not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

http://www.chefsresource.com/alcooksheet.html

Thanks, Nancy. Yes, it would probably work well for baking cookies.
However, at that prices I couldn't afford the ingredients to make them.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 21-03-2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

you mean you wouldn't spend $90 + ingredients for a batch of cookies?
;-)

There seems to be a couple of very good reviews on Amazon for the All
Clad sheet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

-Steven B
The World's Tastiest Database
http://www.iamfood.com

Old 21-03-2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message
writes:
"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
.228.19...
[...]

Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

Old 21-03-2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:40:09a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they
will not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

http://www.chefsresource.com/alcooksheet.html

Thanks, Nancy. Yes, it would probably work well for baking cookies.
However, at that prices I couldn't afford the ingredients to make them.

Oh, yeah, they would be wasted on me, anyway, that wacky don't
bake thing (laugh) ... but if someone wants them who are we to say.

I was curious what people would say about the gold vs stainless
thing. I used to have gold colored cookie sheets (a gift) ... I've
heard different things about their affect on browning.

nancy

Old 21-03-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 05:44:14a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

you mean you wouldn't spend $90 + ingredients for a batch of cookies?
;-)

LOL! No, it means that I can't afford to.

There seems to be a couple of very good reviews on Amazon for the All
Clad sheet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7032?v=glance&
n=284507

I'm not disputing its worth as a product.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Old 21-03-2006, 01:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

Stainless steel sucks for bakeware, only thing worse is glass. Why not
take a hint from what professional bake shops use, plain old carbon
steel, and never scrub them back to shiny, the blacker they get the
better.

Sheldon

Old 21-03-2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
[...]

Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.

Pete C.
Old 21-03-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

Stainless steel sucks for bakeware, only thing worse is glass. Why not
take a hint from what professional bake shops use, plain old carbon
steel, and never scrub them back to shiny, the blacker they get the
better.

Sheldon

I've been at a few pro bake shops and all I've ever seen is AL, lots and
lots of AL baking sheets stacked in lots of the nice rolling racks.
These were all for cookies BTW, I spent a few evenings backing about
5,000 cookies once. While blackened steel pans may be good for a lot of
things they generally seem to suck for baking, particularly cookies as
they tend to burn the bottom of the cookie before the rest is baked.

Pete C.
Old 21-03-2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
[...]

Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many instances,
oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll pass.

Old 21-03-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

Jeneen Sommers wrote:

[...]

I had to buy no sided cookies sheets to use in the convection oven and
chose AL air bake cookie sheets. I'm happy with their performance so far.