Karen Wheless

Default Best Cookie Sheets?

I need to buy a couple of cookie sheets / baking sheets. I use my
cookie sheets for two purposes - for baking cookies, but also for
quickly throwing things in the oven (like baking a couple of frozen
biscuits, heating up bread, etc.) I used to like nonstick but I've come
to prefer stainless since you can scrub it hard if stuff spills on it or
if you burn something.

I don't mind using parchment paper for cookies (although it's annoying
and always curls up when I'm trying to get the cookies in place) but I
don't want to have to use it for everything.

But I've had a hard time finding good cookie sheets. I have one plain
stainless one, but sometimes things burn on the bottom (even when I turn
down the oven temp). It's very lightweight so I wondered if a heavier
baking sheet would help. Does anyone sell plain stainless baking sheets
any more? Everywhere I look, they're all nonstick.

I also need the baking sheets to be relatively small - I have a heavy
duty "professional" jelly roll pan and my oven door won't quite shut
when I use it. I have a small apartment oven. Smaller sheets are
necessary if I want decent air circulation.

Karen
Bean

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> I agree, except that OP said that they had one already and it wouldn't
> allow the door to close on the small oven.

Oops, I missed that. Hmm, do they make the commerical aluminum pans in a
smaller size?

Vox Humana

"Bean" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > I agree, except that OP said that they had one already and it wouldn't
> > allow the door to close on the small oven.
> >

> Oops, I missed that. Hmm, do they make the commerical aluminum pans in a
> smaller size?

They make quarter sheet pans:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=quarter+sheet+pan

Mike Nolan

"Vox Humana" > writes:

>I agree, except that OP said that they had one already and it wouldn't allow
>the door to close on the small oven.

We have a DCS dual oven and need small pans for the little oven.

We use Chicago Metallic pans, they make small (12x9) nonstick cookie sheets
and jelly roll pans. Try Bed Bath & Beyond or similar stores/websites.
I've also found them at stores like Target and Shopko.
--
Mike Nolan
Aria

Bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond...they were 3 different sizes for about
30 dollars. They were commercial strength. So far so good. They haven't
warped like most of the other ones I have purchased.

"Mike Nolan" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > writes:
>
> >I agree, except that OP said that they had one already and it wouldn't

allow
> >the door to close on the small oven.

> We have a DCS dual oven and need small pans for the little oven.
>
> We use Chicago Metallic pans, they make small (12x9) nonstick cookie

sheets
> and jelly roll pans. Try Bed Bath & Beyond or similar stores/websites.
> I've also found them at stores like Target and Shopko.
> --
> Mike Nolan

Vox Humana

"Jon Endres, PE" t> wrote in
message ...
> Bought three Nordicware, NSF stamped, commercial aluminum half sheets at
> BJ's wholesale. Was about $12. Look up restaurant supply in your phone
> book, go visit one. The commercial cookware is made to take any amount of
> abuse, and certainly hold up well in a home kitchen. We tried many types

of
> "jelly roll" pans, nonstick and others, and decided it just wasn't worth

the
> pain. I buy nothing but commercial cookware and utensils and it's worth

the
> effort to find it.
>
> You will probably find all kinds of this stuff on eBay as well.
>
> JE

The OP said that the half sheet pans won't fit in their oven.

Jon Endres, PE

Bought three Nordicware, NSF stamped, commercial aluminum half sheets at
BJ's wholesale. Was about $12. Look up restaurant supply in your phone
book, go visit one. The commercial cookware is made to take any amount of
abuse, and certainly hold up well in a home kitchen. We tried many types of
"jelly roll" pans, nonstick and others, and decided it just wasn't worth the
pain. I buy nothing but commercial cookware and utensils and it's worth the
effort to find it.

You will probably find all kinds of this stuff on eBay as well.

JE

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
m...
> I need to buy a couple of cookie sheets / baking sheets. I use my
> cookie sheets for two purposes - for baking cookies, but also for
> quickly throwing things in the oven (like baking a couple of frozen
> biscuits, heating up bread, etc.) I used to like nonstick but I've come
> to prefer stainless since you can scrub it hard if stuff spills on it or
> if you burn something.
>
> I don't mind using parchment paper for cookies (although it's annoying
> and always curls up when I'm trying to get the cookies in place) but I
> don't want to have to use it for everything.
>
> But I've had a hard time finding good cookie sheets. I have one plain
> stainless one, but sometimes things burn on the bottom (even when I turn
> down the oven temp). It's very lightweight so I wondered if a heavier
> baking sheet would help. Does anyone sell plain stainless baking sheets
> any more? Everywhere I look, they're all nonstick.
>
> I also need the baking sheets to be relatively small - I have a heavy
> duty "professional" jelly roll pan and my oven door won't quite shut
> when I use it. I have a small apartment oven. Smaller sheets are
> necessary if I want decent air circulation.
>
> Karen

Fred

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
m...
> I need to buy a couple of cookie sheets / baking sheets. I use my
> cookie sheets for two purposes - for baking cookies, but also for
> quickly throwing things in the oven (like baking a couple of frozen
> biscuits, heating up bread, etc.) I used to like nonstick but I've come
> to prefer stainless since you can scrub it hard if stuff spills on it or
> if you burn something.
>
> I don't mind using parchment paper for cookies (although it's annoying
> and always curls up when I'm trying to get the cookies in place) but I
> don't want to have to use it for everything.
>
> But I've had a hard time finding good cookie sheets. I have one plain
> stainless one, but sometimes things burn on the bottom (even when I turn
> down the oven temp). It's very lightweight so I wondered if a heavier
> baking sheet would help. Does anyone sell plain stainless baking sheets
> any more? Everywhere I look, they're all nonstick.
>
> I also need the baking sheets to be relatively small - I have a heavy
> duty "professional" jelly roll pan and my oven door won't quite shut
> when I use it. I have a small apartment oven. Smaller sheets are
> necessary if I want decent air circulation.
>
> Karen

It might be time for you to investigate the wonders and pleasures of
silicone baking mats. Then you can use any cookie sheet at all.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Karen Wheless

> It might be time for you to investigate the wonders and pleasures of
> silicone baking mats. Then you can use any cookie sheet at all.

I have one of the SilPat baking mats, but I haven't used it in some
time, since I've been having problems with it. I used it for some very
sticky cookies (coconut macaroons) and then burned the cookies a little
bit. Not only did they stick, they left a residue that I haven't been
able to get off. Since then, the mat hasn't worked very well.

I'm not sure if the problem was the cookies or the scrubbing to try to
get the sticky burned residue off. But is there any way to clean
something that's "stuck" to one of those mats? I wasn't all that
impressed with the performance of the mat - those ultra-sticky coconut
cookies also stick to parchment paper but at least you can throw that
away when you're done.

Karen
Jon Endres, PE

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Jon Endres, PE" t> wrote

in
> message ...
> > Bought three Nordicware, NSF stamped, commercial aluminum half sheets at
> > BJ's wholesale. Was about $12. Look up restaurant supply in your phone
> > book, go visit one. The commercial cookware is made to take any amount

of
> > abuse, and certainly hold up well in a home kitchen. We tried many

types
> of
> > "jelly roll" pans, nonstick and others, and decided it just wasn't worth

> the
> > pain. I buy nothing but commercial cookware and utensils and it's worth

> the
> > effort to find it.
> >
> > You will probably find all kinds of this stuff on eBay as well.
> >
> > JE

> The OP said that the half sheet pans won't fit in their oven.

Woops. Missed that part about the small apartment oven. Well, maybe a
quarter sheet pan. I think they're available.

Jon E