Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All Clad cookie sheets

Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

Thanks -

Jeneen

PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
about half off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
Sommers?

> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
> cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
> with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
> because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
> a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
> to keep replacing them as they got yucky.
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jeneen
>
> PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
> about half off.

Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they will
not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
> Sommers?
>

>> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
>> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
>> cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
>> with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
>> because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
>> a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
>> to keep replacing them as they got yucky.
>>
>> Thanks -
>>
>> Jeneen
>>
>> PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
>> about half off.
>>

> Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they will
> not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo

Another vote for what Wayne said. Deal with the way aluminum pans get messy
looking. Pick up some Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, right near the
Comet & Ajax in the supermarket. Put some elbow grease into cleaning them
from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath with
a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
. 228.19...
>> On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
>> Sommers?
>>

>>> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>>> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
>>> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
>>> cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
>>> with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
>>> because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
>>> a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
>>> to keep replacing them as they got yucky.
>>>
>>> Thanks -
>>>
>>> Jeneen
>>>
>>> PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
>>> about half off.
>>>

>> Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they will
>> not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o?o

>Another vote for what Wayne said. Deal with the way aluminum pans get messy
>looking. Pick up some Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, right near the
>Comet & Ajax in the supermarket. Put some elbow grease into cleaning them
>from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath with
>a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

or use parchment paper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
> Sommers?

>> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
>> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless.

> Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they will
> not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

http://www.chefsresource.com/alcooksheet.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:40:09a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
>> On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
>> Sommers?

>>> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>>> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been.
>>> There are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless.

>> Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they
>> will not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

> http://www.chefsresource.com/alcooksheet.html

Thanks, Nancy. Yes, it would probably work well for baking cookies.
However, at that prices I couldn't afford the ingredients to make them.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

you mean you wouldn't spend $90 + ingredients for a batch of cookies?
;-)

There seems to be a couple of very good reviews on Amazon for the All
Clad sheet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

-Steven B
The World's Tastiest Database
http://www.iamfood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
.228.19...
>>> On Mon 20 Mar 2006 09:52:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
>>> Sommers?

>>> Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they
>>> will
>>> not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright o?o

>>Another vote for what Wayne said. Deal with the way aluminum pans get
>>messy
>>looking. Pick up some Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, right near the
>>Comet & Ajax in the supermarket. Put some elbow grease into cleaning them
>>from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath
>>with
>>a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

> or use parchment paper

Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:40:09a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

>>> Are they clad with an alloy? If they are only stainless steel, they
>>> will not conduct heat very well and the coverage may be spotty.

>> http://www.chefsresource.com/alcooksheet.html

> Thanks, Nancy. Yes, it would probably work well for baking cookies.
> However, at that prices I couldn't afford the ingredients to make them.

Oh, yeah, they would be wasted on me, anyway, that wacky don't
bake thing (laugh) ... but if someone wants them who are we to say.

I was curious what people would say about the gold vs stainless
thing. I used to have gold colored cookie sheets (a gift) ... I've
heard different things about their affect on browning.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 05:44:14a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> you mean you wouldn't spend $90 + ingredients for a batch of cookies?
> ;-)

LOL! No, it means that I can't afford to.

> There seems to be a couple of very good reviews on Amazon for the All
> Clad sheet
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7032?v=glance&
> n=284507

I'm not disputing its worth as a product.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
> cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
> with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
> because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
> a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
> to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

Stainless steel sucks for bakeware, only thing worse is glass. Why not
take a hint from what professional bake shops use, plain old carbon
steel, and never scrub them back to shiny, the blacker they get the
better.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> > writes:
> >>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> .228.19...

> >>Another vote for what Wayne said. Deal with the way aluminum pans get
> >>messy
> >>looking. Pick up some Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, right near the
> >>Comet & Ajax in the supermarket. Put some elbow grease into cleaning them
> >>from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath
> >>with
> >>a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

> > or use parchment paper
> >

> Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Jeneen Sommers wrote:
> > Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
> > but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
> > are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
> > cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
> > with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
> > because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
> > a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
> > to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

> Stainless steel sucks for bakeware, only thing worse is glass. Why not
> take a hint from what professional bake shops use, plain old carbon
> steel, and never scrub them back to shiny, the blacker they get the
> better.
>
> Sheldon

I've been at a few pro bake shops and all I've ever seen is AL, lots and
lots of AL baking sheets stacked in lots of the nice rolling racks.
These were all for cookies BTW, I spent a few evenings backing about
5,000 cookies once. While blackened steel pans may be good for a lot of
things they generally seem to suck for baking, particularly cookies as
they tend to burn the bottom of the cookie before the rest is baked.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:

>> .228.19...

>> > or use parchment paper
>> >

>> Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

> Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
> burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
>
> Pete C.

Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many instances,
oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll pass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>Jeneen Sommers wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>>>but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
>>>are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
>>>cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
>>>with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
>>>because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
>>>a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
>>>to keep replacing them as they got yucky.

>>Stainless steel sucks for bakeware, only thing worse is glass. Why not
>>take a hint from what professional bake shops use, plain old carbon
>>steel, and never scrub them back to shiny, the blacker they get the
>>better.
>>
>>Sheldon

> I've been at a few pro bake shops and all I've ever seen is AL, lots and
> lots of AL baking sheets stacked in lots of the nice rolling racks.
> These were all for cookies BTW, I spent a few evenings backing about
> 5,000 cookies once. While blackened steel pans may be good for a lot of
> things they generally seem to suck for baking, particularly cookies as
> they tend to burn the bottom of the cookie before the rest is baked.
>
> Pete C.

I had to buy no sided cookies sheets to use in the convection oven and
chose AL air bake cookie sheets. I'm happy with their performance so far.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .EDU>,
Jeneen Sommers > wrote:

> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
> cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
> with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
> because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
> a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
> to keep replacing them as they got yucky.
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jeneen
>
> PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
> about half off.

What's yucky, Jeneen? I thought that was called 'seasoning.' I've used
the same AirBake insulated cookie sheets for probably 15-20 years and
the only thing ratty are the bottoms, and then not much. I don't think
I'd want stainless cookie sheets -- can't say why, though.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-19-2006, Dinner with Jo & Joe;
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath with
> a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

I've been using silpat lately and liking it a lot.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-19-2006, Dinner with Jo & Joe;
Church review #10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> >> Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

> > Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
> > burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many instances,
> oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
> food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
> doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll pass.

I use parchment for baking cookies, and some kinds leave an oily
residue on the pan; I've also used parchment (doused with olive oil) on
a pizza pan. Neither has ever shredded itself into my food. Parchment
might stick to food if it burns, but in ordinary baking, it doesn't.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >>Stainless steel sucks for bakeware, only thing worse is glass. Why not
> >>take a hint from what professional bake shops use, plain old carbon
> >>steel, and never scrub them back to shiny, the blacker they get the
> >>better.
> >>
> >>Sheldon

> > I've been at a few pro bake shops and all I've ever seen is AL, lots and
> > lots of AL baking sheets stacked in lots of the nice rolling racks.
> > These were all for cookies BTW, I spent a few evenings backing about
> > 5,000 cookies once. While blackened steel pans may be good for a lot of
> > things they generally seem to suck for baking, particularly cookies as
> > they tend to burn the bottom of the cookie before the rest is baked.
> >
> > Pete C.

> I had to buy no sided cookies sheets to use in the convection oven and
> chose AL air bake cookie sheets. I'm happy with their performance so far.

The AL baking sheets I was using had sides, and we lined them with
parchment paper sheets. They were baked in a big Hobart double stack
convection oven. We also had a perforated version of the pans for
cooling once the cookies were cool enough to remove from the parchment.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy1" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> > Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
>> > burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many
>> instances,
>> oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
>> food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
>> doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll
>> pass.

> I use parchment for baking cookies, and some kinds leave an oily
> residue on the pan; I've also used parchment (doused with olive oil) on
> a pizza pan. Neither has ever shredded itself into my food. Parchment
> might stick to food if it burns, but in ordinary baking, it doesn't.
>
> N.

Bah! Easier to wash the pan, although I do like parchment for baking bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > Doug Kanter wrote:

> >> .228.19...

> >> Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

> > Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
> > burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many instances,
> oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
> food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
> doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll pass.

Well, when I was baking a whole lot of cookies on parchment paper in AL
baking sheets we replaced the parchment about every four bake cycles and
not once was a sheet even remotely close to falling apart. They had more
transparent grease spots where the cookies had been each run, but those
spots were just as strong as the rest of the parchment paper.

I'm thinking that if you think parchment paper will fall apart easily
you haven't had much experience with it. Parchment paper is vastly
different than waxed paper which will fall apart easily.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:

>> > Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
>> > burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many
>> instances,
>> oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
>> food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
>> doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll
>> pass.

> Well, when I was baking a whole lot of cookies on parchment paper in AL
> baking sheets we replaced the parchment about every four bake cycles and
> not once was a sheet even remotely close to falling apart. They had more
> transparent grease spots where the cookies had been each run, but those
> spots were just as strong as the rest of the parchment paper.
>
> I'm thinking that if you think parchment paper will fall apart easily
> you haven't had much experience with it. Parchment paper is vastly
> different than waxed paper which will fall apart easily.
>
> Pete C.

Well, my issue is that unless I'm cooking with non-stick pans, I always use
metal spatulas. I will not use plastic 99% of the time - it's against my
religion. Metal tends to rip things, so when I cook with foil UNDER food,
it's always the heavy duty stuff. Once you rip foil or parchment, you defeat
its purpose, assuming the purpose was easier cleanup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .EDU>,
> Jeneen Sommers > wrote:
>

>>Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>>but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
>>are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless. They both
>>cost the same. I currently have aluminum cookie sheets, which I'm happy
>>with except it doesn't take too long before they become kind of ratty
>>because they aren't non-reactive. Stainless seems like it might be
>>a reasonable alternative. It's more expensive, but I wouldn't have
>>to keep replacing them as they got yucky.
>>
>>Thanks -
>>
>>Jeneen
>>
>>PS. BTW Cookware and More has a special on them until April 9 for
>>about half off.

> What's yucky, Jeneen? I thought that was called 'seasoning.' I've used
> the same AirBake insulated cookie sheets for probably 15-20 years and
> the only thing ratty are the bottoms, and then not much. I don't think
> I'd want stainless cookie sheets -- can't say why, though.

I'm glad to hear that as I bought the AirBake as well. The only yukky
thing I've had happen has been with non-stick Baker's Secret cookie
sheets and actually a couple other pieces of bake wear from them. The
coating eventually flakes and gets into your food. I won't buy that
brand again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>

>>from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath with
>>a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

> I've been using silpat lately and liking it a lot.

Barb is silpat an actual brand? I bought a silicone baking sheet from
Canadian Tire. I'm not all that impressed. It stained horribly after
roasting chicken breasts on it. The staining doesn't go well with the
funky green colour but doesn't affect the performance. I find this one
gets a really sticky, greasy feeling almost as if Crisco had been
heavily applied and on both sides. Does the silpat do that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>>

>>>from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting underneath
>>>with a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

>> I've been using silpat lately and liking it a lot.

> Barb is silpat an actual brand? I bought a silicone baking sheet from
> Canadian Tire. I'm not all that impressed. It stained horribly after
> roasting chicken breasts on it. The staining doesn't go well with the
> funky green colour but doesn't affect the performance. I find this one
> gets a really sticky, greasy feeling almost as if Crisco had been heavily
> applied and on both sides. Does the silpat do that?

This is why you shouldn't cook with plastic or silicone. Is the jury still
out on silicone breast implants? I've lost track of that saga.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've been using stainless cookie sheets for... more than 30 years. They
weren't too expensive, they were bought at Sears. I love them, wouldn't
even think of trading them for something else... they bake well, clean up
easy they look good after all these years.

Don't you think the all clads are a bit pricey?

Rina

>> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,
>> but would like to see what other people's experiences have been. There
>> are two options: stainless steel or gold plated stainless.

> I don't think
> I'd want stainless cookie sheets -- can't say why, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Pete C. wrote:

>>>I've been at a few pro bake shops and all I've ever seen is AL, lots and
>>>lots of AL baking sheets stacked in lots of the nice rolling racks.
>>>These were all for cookies BTW, I spent a few evenings backing about
>>>5,000 cookies once. While blackened steel pans may be good for a lot of
>>>things they generally seem to suck for baking, particularly cookies as
>>>they tend to burn the bottom of the cookie before the rest is baked.
>>>
>>>Pete C.

>>I had to buy no sided cookies sheets to use in the convection oven and
>>chose AL air bake cookie sheets. I'm happy with their performance so far.

> The AL baking sheets I was using had sides, and we lined them with
> parchment paper sheets. They were baked in a big Hobart double stack
> convection oven. We also had a perforated version of the pans for
> cooling once the cookies were cool enough to remove from the parchment.
>
> Pete C.

The instructions for my oven said to use non-sided baking sheets when
using convection. Maybe they are in cohoots with the cookie sheet
manufactures At any rate, I needed new cookie sheets anyway and knew
the new stove would be convection so I waited until the new stove was
installed and bought the recommended bakeware. I don't make a whole lot
of cookies. The cookie sheets get used for a lot of other
baking/roasting though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> I've been using silpat lately and liking it a lot.

> > Barb is silpat an actual brand? I bought a silicone baking sheet from
> > Canadian Tire. I'm not all that impressed. It stained horribly after
> > roasting chicken breasts on it. The staining doesn't go well with the
> > funky green colour but doesn't affect the performance. I find this one
> > gets a really sticky, greasy feeling almost as if Crisco had been heavily
> > applied and on both sides. Does the silpat do that?

> This is why you shouldn't cook with plastic or silicone. Is the jury still
> out on silicone breast implants? I've lost track of that saga.

Clearly the baking sheet referenced was not a good Silpat or Exopat
model. The "real" ones work exceedingly well and they (and their loaf
pan equivalents have been used commercially for quite some time.

And no, the jury is not still out on the silicone implants, the facts
are in and indicate that the silicone is indeed safe when it is
contained in the implant. The only issues were from leaks allowing the
silicone to migrate. The saline filled silicone implants and the solid
cohesive silicone implants have no such issues.

The emotional debate continues, but the science is settled. Not that I
really care as I don't like "big un's".

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>
> > ~patches~ wrote:

> >>I had to buy no sided cookies sheets to use in the convection oven and
> >>chose AL air bake cookie sheets. I'm happy with their performance so far.

> > The AL baking sheets I was using had sides, and we lined them with
> > parchment paper sheets. They were baked in a big Hobart double stack
> > convection oven. We also had a perforated version of the pans for
> > cooling once the cookies were cool enough to remove from the parchment.
> >
> > Pete C.

> The instructions for my oven said to use non-sided baking sheets when
> using convection. Maybe they are in cohoots with the cookie sheet
> manufactures At any rate, I needed new cookie sheets anyway and knew
> the new stove would be convection so I waited until the new stove was
> installed and bought the recommended bakeware. I don't make a whole lot
> of cookies. The cookie sheets get used for a lot of other
> baking/roasting though.

The instructions may well be different for the smaller home convection
ovens. I haven't actually read the instructions for the one that came
with this house. I did have to replace my pizza stone as the 16" round
wouldn't fit. I had to get the 14" x 16" version to get clearance from
the convection fan unit.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"Pete C." > wrote in message
>> Doug Kanter wrote:

>>> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many
>>> instances,
>>> oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
>>> food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
>>> doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll
>>> pass.

>> Well, when I was baking a whole lot of cookies on parchment paper in AL
>> baking sheets we replaced the parchment about every four bake cycles and
>> not once was a sheet even remotely close to falling apart. They had more
>> transparent grease spots where the cookies had been each run, but those
>> spots were just as strong as the rest of the parchment paper.
>>
>> I'm thinking that if you think parchment paper will fall apart easily
>> you haven't had much experience with it. Parchment paper is vastly
>> different than waxed paper which will fall apart easily.
>>
>> Pete C.

>Well, my issue is that unless I'm cooking with non-stick pans, I always use
>metal spatulas. I will not use plastic 99% of the time - it's against my
>religion. Metal tends to rip things, so when I cook with foil UNDER food,
>it's always the heavy duty stuff. Once you rip foil or parchment, you defeat
>its purpose, assuming the purpose was easier cleanup.

another master usenet debater
undaunted by
the mighty parchment paper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:

>> > Barb is silpat an actual brand? I bought a silicone baking sheet from
>> > Canadian Tire. I'm not all that impressed. It stained horribly after
>> > roasting chicken breasts on it. The staining doesn't go well with the
>> > funky green colour but doesn't affect the performance. I find this one
>> > gets a really sticky, greasy feeling almost as if Crisco had been
>> > heavily
>> > applied and on both sides. Does the silpat do that?

>> This is why you shouldn't cook with plastic or silicone. Is the jury
>> still
>> out on silicone breast implants? I've lost track of that saga.

> Clearly the baking sheet referenced was not a good Silpat or Exopat
> model. The "real" ones work exceedingly well and they (and their loaf
> pan equivalents have been used commercially for quite some time.
>
> And no, the jury is not still out on the silicone implants, the facts
> are in and indicate that the silicone is indeed safe when it is
> contained in the implant. The only issues were from leaks allowing the
> silicone to migrate. The saline filled silicone implants and the solid
> cohesive silicone implants have no such issues.
>
> The emotional debate continues, but the science is settled. Not that I
> really care as I don't like "big un's".
>
> Pete C.

As they say, anything more than a mouthful is a waste. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>>
>>> from time to time. For any food that doesn't require getting
>>> underneath with a metal spatula, which would rip foil, use foil.

>> I've been using silpat lately and liking it a lot.

> Barb is silpat an actual brand? I bought a silicone baking sheet from
> Canadian Tire. I'm not all that impressed. It stained horribly after
> roasting chicken breasts on it. The staining doesn't go well with the
> funky green colour but doesn't affect the performance. I find this one
> gets a really sticky, greasy feeling almost as if Crisco had been
> heavily applied and on both sides. Does the silpat do that?

Silpat is a brand name.

They all get to feel that way. They're silicone. They all discolor over
time, but performance is all that matters.

Wash it. Let it air dry. Don't fold it. Roll it if you want to store it.

Cookware gets dirty in the course of its use. Life.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>Doesn't oil & grease go right through parchment paper?

>>Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
>>burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
>>
>>Pete C.

> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many instances,
> oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting "involved" with the
> food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly what it says. It
> doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very hot food". I'll pass.

We used a case of parchment a month in my restaurants. Not once did any
ever get "involved" with the food unless it was very badly burned, or
sugars leaked out or off something being baked on it and they burned.
Then, it wasn't "involved with the whole thing, just the burned sugars.

Oils do soak into parchment, but that doesn't soften it. We made a kind
of rolls that we dipped into clarified butter before baking. Never a
problem with the parchment.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>Somewhat, but that's not what generally makes the mess in the pan, it's
>>>burnt sugars that do that. Oil and grease wash off easily.
>>>
>>>Pete C.

>> Debatable (oils vs sugars), but we won't. I suspect that in many
>> instances, oily parchment would end up falling apart and getting
>> "involved" with the food. When food's ready to serve, that means exactly
>> what it says. It doesn't mean "picking shreds of parchment off of very
>> hot food". I'll pass.

> We used a case of parchment a month in my restaurants. Not once did any
> ever get "involved" with the food unless it was very badly burned, or
> sugars leaked out or off something being baked on it and they burned.
> Then, it wasn't "involved with the whole thing, just the burned sugars.
>
> Oils do soak into parchment, but that doesn't soften it. We made a kind of
> rolls that we dipped into clarified butter before baking. Never a problem
> with the parchment.
>
> Pastorio

Maybe I should try the Reynolds. I had some other stuff that behaved like
wet newspaper. Disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Jeneen Sommers wrote:

> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll have to get one and see what I
think. They are expensive, but they are half off now, and if I end up
liking them and keeping them forever it'll be a worthwhile investment.
And probably cheaper than buying new aluminum pans every so often. I'll
post the results when I get it. Cookware & More is offering them for
half off, if anyone is interested:

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/index.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have used and tested the All Clad Bakeware, a couple things to clear
up first. There is only one line of All-Clad bakeware which consist of
9 individual pieces. They are all made from 3 layers of aluminum
alloys sandwiched by a layer of stainless steel on each side. The gold
or champagne color is a surface that features a revolutionary stick
resistant application called vapor deposition. In vapor deposition the
non-stick application is molecularly bonded with the bakeware surface.
This champagne colored surface is stick resistant, metal-utensil safe,
and holds up under extreme temperatures.
As for actual performance goes, I was very happy with the even browning
and heat conductivity of these pans, which is why I sell them.
Personally being a chef and working in many kitchens, the pans I use
are from a company called Chicago Metallic. This is a link to their
pans, they do have a nonstick line and an uncoated line.
http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...sp?BRAND_ID=10
The pans are all constructed of an Aluminized Steel, they conduct heat
very well and evenly, they clean up great and they have wondeful
warranties. Chicago Metallic actually does a lot of business with
commercial bakeries and cooking schools with their Commercial line of
products, which is also what I use.
I could give a lot of feedback on any other lines of bakeware, but
their is a reason we only sell a couple lines. All-Clad makes a great
product but sizes and price limit a lot of people from buying them.
The best bang for your buck is definitely the Chicago Metallic brand.
Just incase you look at our website for the All-Clad bakeware, we do
not have it listed yet, but we can still order it for you or answer any
of your questions. We will also beat any advertised price!
As for Silpats go, yes Silpat is a name brand, you will find many
similar items on the market, however, the only equal to the Silpat
brand is the Fiberlux brand. They will get a slipery feeling to them
after they are used and they will tend to discolor. Neither one of
these issues will affect performance though. I highly recommend them
for baking because of their stick resistance, and to me it is a must
have in the kitchen. They will last for years with proper care. But
remeber not all silicones are equal and you usually get what you pay
for. The main difference between Silpat and Fiberlux mats is that they
have a glass mesh weave inside of the silicone which really adds to the
conductivity of the heat and the quality of the silicone is much better
than the cheaper ones on the market.
http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...p?ITEM_ID=2323

I hope all of this helps and if I can ever be of any assistance feel
free to call or email me though my website.

Chef Dom,
www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default this is spam (was All Clad cookie sheets)

writes:

>On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Jeneen Sommers wrote:
>

>> Has anyone used All Clad cookie sheets? I'm thinking of getting some,

>Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll have to get one and see what I
>think. They are expensive, but they are half off now, and if I end up
>liking them and keeping them forever it'll be a worthwhile investment.
>And probably cheaper than buying new aluminum pans every so often. I'll
>post the results when I get it. Cookware & More is offering them for
>half off, if anyone is interested:

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/index.php

we have a spammer folks!

From: Jeneen Sommers - view profile
Date: Sat, Sep 27 2003 7:39 pm
Email: Jeneen Sommers >
Groups: rec.food.cooking
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options

Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I have a great set of All Clad cookware from
Cookware & More. I've been using it for maybe 5 years
now and I couldn't be happier with it. I was also really
glad to get it for about 50% off from Cookware & More. I
was telling a friend about it, went looking for the website,
and find that it's not there anymore.

The site I'm looking at is www.cookwarenmore.com - which is
the link from www.outletsonline.com. I get an error message.
Are they gone? I really hope not...I was starting to think
about buying some bakeware, which I would never consider
paying full price for. Does anyone know?

Thanks -

Jeneen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chef Dom wrote:

> I have used and tested the All Clad Bakeware, a couple things to clear
> up first. There is only one line of All-Clad bakeware which consist of
> 9 individual pieces. They are all made from 3 layers of aluminum
> alloys sandwiched by a layer of stainless steel on each side. The gold
> or champagne color is a surface that features a revolutionary stick
> resistant application called vapor deposition. In vapor deposition the
> non-stick application is molecularly bonded with the bakeware surface.
> This champagne colored surface is stick resistant, metal-utensil safe,
> and holds up under extreme temperatures.
> As for actual performance goes, I was very happy with the even browning
> and heat conductivity of these pans, which is why I sell them.
> Personally being a chef and working in many kitchens, the pans I use
> are from a company called Chicago Metallic. This is a link to their
> pans, they do have a nonstick line and an uncoated line.
> http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...sp?BRAND_ID=10
> The pans are all constructed of an Aluminized Steel, they conduct heat
> very well and evenly, they clean up great and they have wondeful
> warranties. Chicago Metallic actually does a lot of business with
> commercial bakeries and cooking schools with their Commercial line of
> products, which is also what I use.
> I could give a lot of feedback on any other lines of bakeware, but
> their is a reason we only sell a couple lines. All-Clad makes a great
> product but sizes and price limit a lot of people from buying them.
> The best bang for your buck is definitely the Chicago Metallic brand.
> Just incase you look at our website for the All-Clad bakeware, we do
> not have it listed yet, but we can still order it for you or answer any
> of your questions. We will also beat any advertised price!
> As for Silpats go, yes Silpat is a name brand, you will find many
> similar items on the market, however, the only equal to the Silpat
> brand is the Fiberlux brand. They will get a slipery feeling to them
> after they are used and they will tend to discolor. Neither one of
> these issues will affect performance though. I highly recommend them
> for baking because of their stick resistance, and to me it is a must
> have in the kitchen. They will last for years with proper care. But
> remeber not all silicones are equal and you usually get what you pay
> for. The main difference between Silpat and Fiberlux mats is that they
> have a glass mesh weave inside of the silicone which really adds to the
> conductivity of the heat and the quality of the silicone is much better
> than the cheaper ones on the market.
> http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...p?ITEM_ID=2323
>
> I hope all of this helps and if I can ever be of any assistance feel
> free to call or email me though my website.
>
> Chef Dom,
> www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

I looked at your site and I think you need to review your content for
accuracy:

"COMMERCIAL™ Bakeware is manufactured to meet the
exacting standards of commercial bakers and those who prefer
traditional baking on uncoated pans.

Each pan is crafted from heavy-weight Aluminized Steel which
combines the durability, strength, and superior heat conduction of
steel with the corrosion-resistance of an aluminum-silicone alloy. "

Aluminum has about four times the thermal conductivity of steel
(ref. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/thrcn.html).

I've also never heard of an aluminum-silicone alloy and I've dealt with
a number of aluminum alloys. I think you are referring to an
aluminum-silicon alloy (ref.
http://www.scotforge.com/charts/sf_alum_ns.htm).

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> [...]
> > free to call or email me though my website.
> >
> > Chef Dom,
> > www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

> I looked at your site and I think you need to review your content for
> accuracy:
>
> "COMMERCIAL™ Bakeware is manufactured to meet the
> exacting standards of commercial bakers and those who prefer
> traditional baking on uncoated pans.
>
> Each pan is crafted from heavy-weight Aluminized Steel which
> combines the durability, strength, and superior heat conduction of
> steel with the corrosion-resistance of an aluminum-silicone alloy. "
>
> Aluminum has about four times the thermal conductivity of steel
> (ref. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/thrcn.html).
>
> I've also never heard of an aluminum-silicone alloy and I've dealt with
> a number of aluminum alloys. I think you are referring to an

A better aluminum alloy reference:
http://www.kaiseraluminum.com/proalloy/alloy_temper.htm

Pete C.