Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Are The Best Cookie Baking Sheets?

I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
center is even done.

I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
not warp in the oven.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

patetc wrote:

> I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> center is even done.
>
> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> not warp in the oven.
>
> Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Check out aluminum "half sheet" pans. They're good for cookies
and a whole lot more. I have about 20 of them and use them for
just about everything.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:02:53 -0000, patetc > wrote:

>I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
>silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
>The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
>center is even done.
>
>I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
>them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
>not warp in the oven.
>
>Any and all suggestions appreciated.
>
>Pat

First of all, I would get an oven thermometer and make sure your oven
temperature is what it is supposed to be. It might be running hot,
and causing some of your problems.

I would also go to a restaurant supply store and look at the sheet
pans there. They seem to be much more sturdily built, and don't warp
nearly as easily. I got mine at Surfas, and they were inexpensive
and a very good investment.

https://www.surfasonline.com/index.cfm

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:13:30 -0700, Reg > wrote:

>Check out aluminum "half sheet" pans. They're good for cookies
>and a whole lot more. I have about 20 of them and use them for
>just about everything.

Yes, I forgot to mention that half sheet pans are probably more in
line with standard cookie pans. Sheet pans are huge!!!

I wish I had gotten more when I got mine...but maybe I will order some
more from Surfas.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 4:13 pm, Reg > wrote:
> patetc wrote:
> > I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> > silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> > The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> > center is even done.

> > I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> > them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> > not warp in the oven.

> > Any and all suggestions appreciated.

> Check out aluminum "half sheet" pans. They're good for cookies
> and a whole lot more. I have about 20 of them and use them for
> just about everything.
>
> --
> Reg

Does anyone use parchment paper almost everytime when baking cookies?

Or do you try to get the sheet pans very clean after use, so as to not
stick during the next baking.?

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Dee Dee wrote:

> Does anyone use parchment paper almost everytime when baking cookies?
>
> Or do you try to get the sheet pans very clean after use, so as to not
> stick during the next baking.?

I use parchment paper for everything in the baking realm, mainly
because it makes everything release easily without having to butter
the pan. It's definitely a timesaver.

I don't like the type that comes in rolls because it doesn't lay
flat enough. I buy it in full sheet size at a resto supply place
and cut them in half ahead of time so there's always a stack
ready to go.

A little dab of butter at the corners makes it lay flat
and stick firm. Important when you're piping stuff out quickly.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 1:02 pm, patetc > wrote:
> I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> center is even done.
>
> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> not warp in the oven.
>
> Any and all suggestions appreciated.
>
> Pat

Pat -
I use Reynolds Wrap Release 'non stick' Foil, as a liner in my cookie
sheet pans. I will use the same foil sheet for the entire batch,
simply wiping with a damp paper towel between the bakings!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"patetc" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> center is even done.
>
> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> not warp in the oven.
>
> Any and all suggestions appreciated.
>
> Pat

My favorites by far are stainless steel Revere Ware. Cookies bake perfect
on them.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:37:52 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>Does anyone use parchment paper almost everytime

"Almost everytime"? EVERYTIME

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"patetc" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> center is even done.
>
> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> not warp in the oven.
>
> Any and all suggestions appreciated.
>
> Pat

I find that the air bake pans are the best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"patetc" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> center is even done.
>
> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> not warp in the oven.
>
> Any and all suggestions appreciated.

I have some Airbake pans that I bought years ago. They have a layer of air
inside the pan and it keeps the cookies from burning. I've never ever
burned a cookie with these pans but if you leave them in the oven for too
long, they will get dried out. I love them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "patetc" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
>> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
>> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
>> center is even done.
>>
>> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
>> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
>> not warp in the oven.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions appreciated.

> I have some Airbake pans that I bought years ago. They have a layer of
> air inside the pan and it keeps the cookies from burning. I've never ever
> burned a cookie with these pans but if you leave them in the oven for too
> long, they will get dried out. I love them!

I had some of those. I hated them. You can't get nicely scorched peanut
butter cookies on one. And they're useless for things like biscuits, the
bottoms won't even cook let alone brown.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> "patetc" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
>> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
>> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
>> center is even done.
>>
>> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
>> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
>> not warp in the oven.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Pat

> My favorites by far are stainless steel Revere Ware. Cookies bake
> perfect on them.

I swore by steel baking sheets until I got really good commercial grade
aluminum half sheet pans.

<And then it got better... I found them again at Big Lots>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:
>I would also go to a restaurant supply store and look at the sheet
>pans there. They seem to be much more sturdily built, and don't warp
>nearly as easily. I got mine at Surfas, and they were inexpensive
>and a very good investment.
>
>https://www.surfasonline.com/index.cfm

Various grades he

http://www.food-equipment.com/sheet_pans_and_grates.htm

20-gauge steel is thinner than 18-gauge steel, hence
the difference in price for the same size.

The wire reinforcement in the beaded rim is an interesting
touch. I can't imagine how it can help, given the geometry
of a rectangle. Anything that can fold down a side will
ignore the presence of the wire, and the corners are
already strengthened by being curved. Actually, the bead
itself is a significant strengthener. But if the "wire"
is actually a thick, rodlike thing, like the wires in the
cooling grates, then it'd be a significant stiffener.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:13:30 -0700, Reg > wrote:

>Check out aluminum "half sheet" pans. They're good for cookies
>and a whole lot more. I have about 20 of them and use them for
>just about everything.

You have TWENTY? Are you a caterer?

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Or do you try to get the sheet pans very clean after use, so as to not
>stick during the next baking.?

Dee.... the trick is to NOT scrub your pans clean as brand new. Mine
are almost covered with a black patina and nothing sticks.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:16:26 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>First of all, I would get an oven thermometer and make sure your oven
>temperature is what it is supposed to be. It might be running hot,
>and causing some of your problems.

After that, it's good to call in a professional. I had trouble with
my old oven and it turned out the thermostat was kaput. I replaced it
and used the oven for several more years.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:37:04 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>http://www.food-equipment.com/sheet_pans_and_grates.htm

Wowza! Those prices are great! I didn't get into s&h... does that
bring it up to reality?

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:12:53 -0500, "Ms P" >
wrote:

>I had some of those. I hated them. You can't get nicely scorched peanut
>butter cookies on one. And they're useless for things like biscuits, the
>bottoms won't even cook let alone brown.

You were using the wrong kitchen tool for your needs. I have two
commercial half sheets and one of those air bake thingies. I
originally bought it to use as a pizza peel, but I also use it for
cookies because I don't like browned bottoms. I found the down side
of the air bake sheet is you can't use it at high heat for very long
or else it warps, so I stopped that. My half sheets can take the
heat.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 3:22 am, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:37:04 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
> >http://www.food-equipment.com/sheet_pans_and_grates.htm

> Wowza! Those prices are great! I didn't get into s&h... does that
> bring it up to reality?

If you have a Costco, check the prices there. I've bought probably 3
packs of 3 over the past few years. Heavy and wonderful and the price
is right.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 4:16 am, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:12:53 -0500, "Ms P" >
> wrote:
>
> >I had some of those. I hated them. You can't get nicely scorched peanut
> >butter cookies on one. And they're useless for things like biscuits, the
> >bottoms won't even cook let alone brown.

> You were using the wrong kitchen tool for your needs. I have two
> commercial half sheets and one of those air bake thingies. I
> originally bought it to use as a pizza peel, but I also use it for
> cookies because I don't like browned bottoms. I found the down side
> of the air bake sheet is you can't use it at high heat for very long
> or else it warps, so I stopped that. My half sheets can take the
> heat.

My air-bake sheets just sit there taking up shelf-space. Not only
that, everything sticks is the reason I quit using them. Should I get
rid of them?
Not an often cookie-baker.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:19:05 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>On Jul 16, 3:22 am, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:37:04 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.food-equipment.com/sheet_pans_and_grates.htm

>> Wowza! Those prices are great! I didn't get into s&h... does that
>> bring it up to reality?
>>

>If you have a Costco, check the prices there. I've bought probably 3
>packs of 3 over the past few years. Heavy and wonderful and the price
>is right.

Does this mean you have NINE half sheets on hand? I've had my two for
over 25 years and have rarely needed more.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

patetc wrote:

> I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> center is even done.
>
> I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> not warp in the oven.
>
> Any and all suggestions appreciated.
>
> Pat

Regular commercial grade aluminum baking sheets, you can get the half
size ones that fit residential ovens at Sam's for something like two for
$10. Line with parchment paper (pre cut sheets, *not* from a roll), or a
silicone mat. If your silicone mat is/was warping, throw it out and buy
a quality one (Silpat, Exopat), quality mats do not have that problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > Does anyone use parchment paper almost everytime when baking cookies?
> >
> > Or do you try to get the sheet pans very clean after use, so as to not
> > stick during the next baking.?

> I use parchment paper for everything in the baking realm, mainly
> because it makes everything release easily without having to butter
> the pan. It's definitely a timesaver.
>
> I don't like the type that comes in rolls because it doesn't lay
> flat enough. I buy it in full sheet size at a resto supply place
> and cut them in half ahead of time so there's always a stack
> ready to go.
>
> A little dab of butter at the corners makes it lay flat
> and stick firm. Important when you're piping stuff out quickly.
>
> --
> Reg

If you have a smaller printing company nearby you can probably get them
to cut the entire box of full sheet parchment paper in half for you on
their hydraulic paper cutter. It will take them about 45 seconds to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:27:08 -0400, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:37:52 -0700, Dee Dee >
>wrote:
>
>>Does anyone use parchment paper almost everytime

>"Almost everytime"? EVERYTIME

Never.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:20:33 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>My air-bake sheets just sit there taking up shelf-space. Not only
>that, everything sticks is the reason I quit using them. Should I get
>rid of them?
>Not an often cookie-baker.
>Dee Dee

I'm surprised! Have you tried spraying with a nonstick spray before
you put the cookies on it?

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Pete C. wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>

>>I use parchment paper for everything in the baking realm, mainly
>>because it makes everything release easily without having to butter
>>the pan. It's definitely a timesaver.
>>
>>I don't like the type that comes in rolls because it doesn't lay
>>flat enough. I buy it in full sheet size at a resto supply place
>>and cut them in half ahead of time so there's always a stack
>>ready to go.
>>
>>A little dab of butter at the corners makes it lay flat
>>and stick firm. Important when you're piping stuff out quickly.

> If you have a smaller printing company nearby you can probably get them
> to cut the entire box of full sheet parchment paper in half for you on
> their hydraulic paper cutter. It will take them about 45 seconds to do.

Good one. Thanks, Pete.

Hmmm, maybe a I should try a table saw...

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> If you have a Costco, check the prices there. I've bought probably 3
> packs of 3 over the past few years. Heavy and wonderful and the price
> is right.
>
> Dee Dee

Agreed- I''ve had mine for a few years now, and they're great. I
usually use a silpat or parchment paper with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 11:55 am, "Pete C." > wrote:

> If you have a smaller printing company nearby you can probably get them
> to cut the entire box of full sheet parchment paper in half for you on
> their hydraulic paper cutter. It will take them about 45 seconds to do.

That's one slow cutter<G>. I just crease my sheets and tear them to
fit the pans.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>
> > Reg wrote:
> >

> >>I use parchment paper for everything in the baking realm, mainly
> >>because it makes everything release easily without having to butter
> >>the pan. It's definitely a timesaver.
> >>
> >>I don't like the type that comes in rolls because it doesn't lay
> >>flat enough. I buy it in full sheet size at a resto supply place
> >>and cut them in half ahead of time so there's always a stack
> >>ready to go.
> >>
> >>A little dab of butter at the corners makes it lay flat
> >>and stick firm. Important when you're piping stuff out quickly.

> > If you have a smaller printing company nearby you can probably get them
> > to cut the entire box of full sheet parchment paper in half for you on
> > their hydraulic paper cutter. It will take them about 45 seconds to do.

> Good one. Thanks, Pete.
>
> Hmmm, maybe a I should try a table saw...
>
> --
> Reg

A table saw would be a very bad idea unless you build quite a fixture
around the box to compress it tightly while cutting it. The hydraulic
paper cutters use hydraulic clamps to hold the paper stack behind the
cutting blade. The cutting blade is a guillotine type with a little side
swing, and the front part of the paper stack is no clamped so that the
cut sheets can slide forward and clear the blade. I worked at a print
shop for a few years...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> On Jul 16, 11:55 am, "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > If you have a smaller printing company nearby you can probably get them
> > to cut the entire box of full sheet parchment paper in half for you on
> > their hydraulic paper cutter. It will take them about 45 seconds to do.

> That's one slow cutter<G>. I just crease my sheets and tear them to
> fit the pans.
>
> maxine in ri

45 seconds includes setup time. The actual cut takes about 1 second, for
the entire stack of 500 sheets or more.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 10:22 am, sf wrote:

> Does this mean you have NINE half sheets on hand? I've had my two for
> over 25 years and have rarely needed more.

I probably have more - from other places.
Some are more needy than others. ;-))

Here is one little use I use a nasty one for: When I bring in a bag(s)
of produce - say apples, or onions, that will not go into the
refrigerator, I will spread them out on a pan. I usually use a nice
bowl(s) for fruit. Right now I just pulled out a nasty sheet pan out
of the oven with a long casserole home-made lasagna on top in case it
runs over.
I use one for mis-en-place, etc etc. and the list goes on.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 12:35 pm, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:20:33 -0700, Dee Dee >
> wrote:
>
> >My air-bake sheets just sit there taking up shelf-space. Not only
> >that, everything sticks is the reason I quit using them. Should I get
> >rid of them?
> >Not an often cookie-baker.
> >Dee Dee

> I'm surprised! Have you tried spraying with a nonstick spray before
> you put the cookies on it?

That's a neat trick for people who use non-stick spray, but I don't
use it.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 11:53 am, "Pete C." > wrote:
> patetc wrote:
>
> > I have had trouble finding the best cookie sheets. I've tried the
> > silicone liners and they warp during baking, making uneven cookies.
> > The black pans seem to make the bottoms of the cookies burn before the
> > center is even done.

> > I'd like to throw out all the cookie sheets I have now and replace
> > them with something that will cook evenly, not burn the bottoms and
> > not warp in the oven.

> > Any and all suggestions appreciated.

> > Pat

> Regular commercial grade aluminum baking sheets, you can get the half
> size ones that fit residential ovens at Sam's for something like two for
> $10. Line with parchment paper (pre cut sheets, *not* from a roll), or a
> silicone mat. If your silicone mat is/was warping, throw it out and buy
> a quality one (Silpat, Exopat), quality mats do not have that problem.

One time I dropped in an outlet and they were selling half-pan sheets
(they were poor quality) for 80 cents a piece. I bought a bundle. I
use them, but even though they said aluminum, they do rust when I
leave them to dry in the rack.

One thing I hate about sheet pans is their ability to hold water in
the edges. Ugh!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:09:57 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>On Jul 16, 12:35 pm, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:20:33 -0700, Dee Dee >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >My air-bake sheets just sit there taking up shelf-space. Not only
>> >that, everything sticks is the reason I quit using them. Should I get
>> >rid of them?
>> >Not an often cookie-baker.
>> >Dee Dee

>> I'm surprised! Have you tried spraying with a nonstick spray before
>> you put the cookies on it?
>>

>That's a neat trick for people who use non-stick spray, but I don't
>use it.

I don't use it exclusively, but it's a staple in my kitchen. For some
things, it's preferable.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> My air-bake sheets just sit there taking up shelf-space. Not only
> that, everything sticks is the reason I quit using them. Should I get
> rid of them?
> Not an often cookie-baker.

I've never had cookies stick to an Airbake. Hmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:37:04 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>>http://www.food-equipment.com/sheet_pans_and_grates.htm

>Wowza! Those prices are great! I didn't get into s&h... does that
>bring it up to reality?

Dunno. I didn't get that far. What I want is one of the
half-sheet racks without the cross-bars (they call it an
"icing rack"). Good for baking chicken parts, much easier
to clean than the cris-crossing ones.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee > wrote:
>One thing I hate about sheet pans is their ability to hold water in
>the edges. Ugh!

Dry them in the oven.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 11:08 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > My air-bake sheets just sit there taking up shelf-space. Not only
> > that, everything sticks is the reason I quit using them. Should I get
> > rid of them?
> > Not an often cookie-baker.

> I've never had cookies stick to an Airbake. Hmmm...

I 'told' you I was not a cookie-baker ;-)) proof positive.
Dee Dee