General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #321 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, jake wrote:
>
>
>>>am I the only one who has no problem dividing a bill properly? If no one
>>>is treating me to a dinner, I order whatever I want, and pay for it.
>>>There is no way that I would split a bill evenly. Why do you guys do it
>>>that way?
>>>

>>
>>I do it because of group pressure from people who have already entered
>>the stadium of semi-drunkenness (when the bill arrives) and who don't
>>give nearly as much thought to budgets as I do. Or who may simply never
>>have been as poor as I have been and thus have a different understanding
>>of money. I feel very uncomfortable bringing the subject up (it 5:1).
>>

>
>
> I agree that you could keep a running total of your part and put that in
> and let them make up the rest.
>
> The easiest thing to do is: when the waitperson approaches the table, say,
> "I'd like a separate ticket, please".
>
> If you're sharing a pizza, announce: I'll toss in my share of the pizza.
> Do the math and toss your share of the pizza into the center of the table.
>
> If they rib you about it, announce, jovially, when I start drinking as
> much as you do, I'll pay as much as you do.
>
> or
>
> "Gee, do I look like the booze subsidy? ha ha.
>
> or
>
> haha. I'm only trying to help you guys out. I feel guilty helping to get
> you drunk everytime we come here by subsidizing your booze bill.
>
> Or (As we say in the South), I didn't take you to raise (haha). If you're
> gonna drink so much, you're going to have to pay for it yourself.
>
> Blow it off and move on - insisting on your own ticket.
> If they can't deal with it, but you feel put upon by paying extra, find
> some new friends.
>
> I'm old and blunt. Life is too short to feel "buyer's remorse" when you've
> let yourself be put in a situation that isn't right by people who are
> doing the wrong thing. Stand up for what is fair here. If they have a
> problem with it, then they aren't "friends" worth having. If you value
> their brand of friendship more than the money it costs you, then accept
> that as the price of the friendship and don't allow any buyer's remorse.
>
> Elaine, too
>



Elaine, thank you so much for coming up with all these diffrent
suggestions. I'll be going on a short trip with the group of people in
question. If this issue should come up, I'll have some new approachjes
to try. One way or another, I am ok with paying more than my share on
occasion. It doens't feel right if ti happens on every occasion.

I will be doing the advance shopping for food etc. This time there won't
be many meals eaten out, if any. Simply because it's more relaxing than
having to go find a restaurant after a strenous day of skiing. Skiing!
It will be my first time, I am very excited. And the cottage has a
fireplace. Hot chocolate and rum will be on the grocery list

Thanks again for your thoughts, I appreciate them.
  #322 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, jake wrote:

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, jake wrote:
> >
> > The easiest thing to do is: when the waitperson approaches the table, say,
> > "I'd like a separate ticket, please".
> >
> > If you're sharing a pizza, announce: I'll toss in my share of the pizza.
> > Do the math and toss your share of the pizza into the center of the table.
> >
> > If they rib you about it, announce, jovially, when I start drinking as
> > much as you do, I'll pay as much as you do.
> >
> > or
> >
> > "Gee, do I look like the booze subsidy? ha ha.
> >
> > or
> >
> > haha. I'm only trying to help you guys out. I feel guilty helping to get
> > you drunk everytime we come here by subsidizing your booze bill.
> >
> > Or (As we say in the South), I didn't take you to raise (haha). If you're
> > gonna drink so much, you're going to have to pay for it yourself.
> >
> > Blow it off and move on - insisting on your own ticket.
> > If they can't deal with it, but you feel put upon by paying extra, find
> > some new friends.
> >
> > I'm old and blunt. Life is too short to feel "buyer's remorse" when you've
> > let yourself be put in a situation that isn't right by people who are
> > doing the wrong thing. Stand up for what is fair here. If they have a
> > problem with it, then they aren't "friends" worth having. If you value
> > their brand of friendship more than the money it costs you, then accept
> > that as the price of the friendship and don't allow any buyer's remorse.
> >
> > Elaine, too
> >

>
>
> Elaine, thank you so much for coming up with all these diffrent
> suggestions. I'll be going on a short trip with the group of people in
> question. If this issue should come up, I'll have some new approachjes
> to try. One way or another, I am ok with paying more than my share on
> occasion. It doens't feel right if ti happens on every occasion.
>
> I will be doing the advance shopping for food etc. This time there won't
> be many meals eaten out, if any. Simply because it's more relaxing than
> having to go find a restaurant after a strenous day of skiing. Skiing!
> It will be my first time, I am very excited. And the cottage has a
> fireplace. Hot chocolate and rum will be on the grocery list
>
> Thanks again for your thoughts, I appreciate them.
>


You're welcome. I hope you find a solution that makes you comfortable.
That's what's important. Humor or lightheartedness can help difuse a
difficult social situation.

I don't like check-splitting (except under certain circumstances). Here,
the waitperson usually says, "Will this be one ticket?" Phrased that way,
the PC answer is "yes". To pipe up and say "no" sounds like you are
saying, "What? Are you crazy? Do I look like I would want to trust this
person to split the bill fairly???"

So, I've found saying, "separate", without hesitation (and before anybody
else says "yes" simply based on the way it sounds) works well. Most people
as just as happy, if not more so, to have their own ticket. I've never had
anybody say, "Geez, I'm offended by that!" Of course, It helps if this can
be established the first time out with anybody. It's harder to do later
on.

Have a great time skiing. Got crockpot? And, *don't* break a leg.

Elaine, too

  #323 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


>
> You're welcome. I hope you find a solution that makes you comfortable.
> That's what's important. Humor or lightheartedness can help difuse a
> difficult social situation.
>
> I don't like check-splitting (except under certain circumstances). Here,
> the waitperson usually says, "Will this be one ticket?" Phrased that way,
> the PC answer is "yes". To pipe up and say "no" sounds like you are
> saying, "What? Are you crazy? Do I look like I would want to trust this
> person to split the bill fairly???"
>

When I was living in Germany, waiters actually always asked: split or
separate? With separate being the most common answer. I like that. I you
wanted to buy the other person's stuff, it looked better than in your
usual scenario, by the sound of it.


> So, I've found saying, "separate", without hesitation (and before anybody
> else says "yes" simply based on the way it sounds) works well. Most people
> as just as happy, if not more so, to have their own ticket. I've never had
> anybody say, "Geez, I'm offended by that!" Of course, It helps if this can
> be established the first time out with anybody. It's harder to do later
> on.
>
> Have a great time skiing. Got crockpot? And, *don't* break a leg.


No crockpots. They are almost impossible to find in Holland or Germany.
People don't even know they exist.

I'll try not to break a leg. Although I could use a proper break (I'm
overworked)

>
> Elaine, too
>

  #324 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

jake wrote:

> When I was living in Germany, waiters actually always asked: split or
> separate? With separate being the most common answer. I like that. I you
> wanted to buy the other person's stuff, it looked better than in your
> usual scenario, by the sound of it.
>


I have been to a few restaraunts where they wouldn't let us split the
check; we had to do the math ourselves if we wanted to split it up properly.


--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
-Baruch Spinoza

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
is another theory which states that this has already happened."
-Douglas Adams
  #325 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

sarah bennett wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> When I was living in Germany, waiters actually always asked: split or
>> separate? With separate being the most common answer. I like that. I
>> you wanted to buy the other person's stuff, it looked better than in
>> your usual scenario, by the sound of it.
>>

>
> I have been to a few restaraunts where they wouldn't let us split the
> check; we had to do the math ourselves if we wanted to split it up
> properly.
>
>

That is common, yes. But it still isn't considered strange to split the
check.


  #326 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe
 
Posts: n/a
Default Sushi ( Fussy Eaters)


"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
. net...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > The Bubbo > wrote:
> >
> >
> >>>Ask for Sashimi. ;-)
> >>>
> >>>It's even MORE expensive!!!
> >>
> >>oh, but the super fatty salmon is so so so good!
> >>
> >>--
> >>.:Heather:.

> >
> >
> > It is indeed...
> > So is the octopus!
> >
> > and the little quail eggs. ;-d

>
> ::salivating at the thought of those little quail eggs::


In Somerset last year, had the most delicious quail eggs I ever tasted -
smoked and pickled in spiced vinegar - they were almost too much! Hmmm...


Shaun aRe


  #327 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sam sam is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Fussy Eaters


My 2 year old daughter is an extremelly fussy eayer, she will only eat
yoghurts and turkey dinasours, has any one got any tips on how I could
get her to try things?

  #328 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sam sam is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Fussy Eaters

My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
get her to eat?

  #329 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sam sam is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Fussy Eaters

My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
get her to eat?

  #330 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default Fussy Eaters

On Wed 01 Feb 2006 04:13:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sam?

> My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
> yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
> get her to eat?


Good Gawd! You only have to press the "send" key once!

Ever see anyone give a pill to a cat? Works for food and 2 year olds, too!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA


  #331 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 308
Default Fussy Eaters

On 1 Feb 2006 03:13:26 -0800, "sam" > wrote:

>My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
>yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
>get her to eat?


Can you have a real conversation with her? At that age, some kids can
reason, some not. If she can, tell her why she must eat "like
everybody", and then feed her like the rest of the family - if she
doesn't eat, she won't, but after a few meals she will. If she can't,
give her what she wants and wait a few months, then proceed as above
(I did just that with my then-18-month-old son, who ate nothing but
yogurts and applesauce for 6 months - he now is a terrific non-fussy
eater).

Nathalie in Switzerland
  #332 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,675
Default Fussy Eaters

sam wrote:
> My 2 year old daughter is an extremelly fussy eayer, she will only eat
> yoghurts and turkey dinasours, has any one got any tips on how I could
> get her to try things?



Stop offering her yoghurts and turkey dinasours. Offer her other
healthful, nutritious choices instead.


--Lia

  #333 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

YOU are "The Parent"

God made parents to make choices
regarding well-being of their children.

What do you do when the kid
doesn't want to take a bath ?
doesn't want to go to bed ?
doesn't want their immunization shots ?

DO YOUR JOB !!
It's in your childs best interests.



On 1 Feb 2006 03:13:26 -0800, "sam" > wrote:

>My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
>yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
>get her to eat?


<rj>
  #334 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default Fussy Eaters




On 1 Feb 2006, it was written:

> On Wed 01 Feb 2006 04:13:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sam?
>
> > My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
> > yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
> > get her to eat?

>
> Good Gawd! You only have to press the "send" key once!
>
> Ever see anyone give a pill to a cat? Works for food and 2 year olds, too!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA
>


Tee hee hee. Of course, it helps if you're smarter than the cat!

Elaine, too

  #335 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 293
Default Fussy Eaters


S'mee wrote:
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>
>


Lol.. I had one thing I did not eat as a kid - steam fish stomach!!
All slimey!! Eeek! I think what I eat very much depends on the mood,
and I ain't need no body telling me what to or not to eat see what I
mean.



  #336 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default Fussy Eaters

On Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:19:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
Parrish?

>
>
>
> On 1 Feb 2006, it was written:
>
>> On Wed 01 Feb 2006 04:13:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sam?
>>
>> > My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
>> > yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
>> > get her to eat?

>>
>> Good Gawd! You only have to press the "send" key once!
>>
>> Ever see anyone give a pill to a cat? Works for food and 2 year olds,
>> to o!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA
>>

>
> Tee hee hee. Of course, it helps if you're smarter than the cat!
>
> Elaine, too


Right, so it would be at least twice as easy with a 2 year old! :-)



--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
  #337 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default Fussy Eaters

On Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:30:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

>
> S'mee wrote:
>> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
>> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
>> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
>> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>
>> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
>> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>>
>>

>
> Lol.. I had one thing I did not eat as a kid - steam fish stomach!!
> All slimey!! Eeek! I think what I eat very much depends on the mood,
> and I ain't need no body telling me what to or not to eat see what I
> mean.


Steamed fish stomach? Ugh! That would be enough to gag a maggot!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
  #338 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 293
Default Fussy Eaters


Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:30:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?
>
> >
> > S'mee wrote:
> >> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> >> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> >> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> >> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> >> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
> >>
> >> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> >> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> >> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> >> the rest of you may have to deal with...
> >>
> >>

> >
> > Lol.. I had one thing I did not eat as a kid - steam fish stomach!!
> > All slimey!! Eeek! I think what I eat very much depends on the mood,
> > and I ain't need no body telling me what to or not to eat see what I
> > mean.

>
> Steamed fish stomach? Ugh! That would be enough to gag a maggot!
>
>


I tried it several time, but it was safe to say my reaction towards
steamed fish stomach had been exactly as you described... eeek.. My
parents loved it though, I think it's all a matter of preference...
They steamed it with soft Tofu, so I just went for the tofu which I
enjoyed

  #339 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default Fussy Eaters




On 2 Feb 2006, it was written:

> On Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:19:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
> Parrish?
>
> >
> >
> >
> > On 1 Feb 2006, it was written:
> >
> >> On Wed 01 Feb 2006 04:13:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sam?
> >>
> >> > My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
> >> > yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I could
> >> > get her to eat?
> >>
> >> Good Gawd! You only have to press the "send" key once!
> >>
> >> Ever see anyone give a pill to a cat? Works for food and 2 year olds,
> >> to o!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
> >>
> >> BIOYA
> >>

> >
> > Tee hee hee. Of course, it helps if you're smarter than the cat!
> >
> > Elaine, too

>
> Right, so it would be at least twice as easy with a 2 year old! :-)
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA
>


Which was my point <wink>. Not a polite point, but a point just the same.
<g>

Elaine, too

  #340 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default Fussy Eaters

On Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:08:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
Parrish?

>
>
>
> On 2 Feb 2006, it was written:
>
>> On Thu 02 Feb 2006 04:19:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
>> Parrish?
>>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > On 1 Feb 2006, it was written:
>> >
>> >> On Wed 01 Feb 2006 04:13:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sam?
>> >>
>> >> > My 2 year old daughter is a very fussy eater, eating nothimg but
>> >> > yoghurts and turkey dinasours has anyone got any tips on how I
>> >> > could get her to eat?
>> >>
>> >> Good Gawd! You only have to press the "send" key once!
>> >>
>> >> Ever see anyone give a pill to a cat? Works for food and 2 year
>> >> olds, to o!
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
>> >>
>> >> BIOYA
>> >>
>> >
>> > Tee hee hee. Of course, it helps if you're smarter than the cat!
>> >
>> > Elaine, too

>>
>> Right, so it would be at least twice as easy with a 2 year old! :-)
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA
>>

>
> Which was my point <wink>. Not a polite point, but a point just the
> same. <g>
>
> Elaine, too
>
>


LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taco Bell Pulls Super Bowl Ad Making Fun of Veggie Eaters After Veggie Eaters Complain Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 13 12-02-2013 10:49 PM
Fussy cooking aem General Cooking 3 15-04-2009 08:25 PM
Fussy eaters-kids [email protected] General Cooking 19 31-05-2006 11:26 PM
fussy child sam General Cooking 3 18-02-2006 02:41 AM
fussy eaters sam General Cooking 21 05-02-2006 01:32 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"