General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
(which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
(DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*

Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
the rest of you may have to deal with...


--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:
[snip]
But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>

None. All of my family are adventurous eaters. When the kids were
small we didn't have a "must try x bites" rule, but we showed by
example that it was fun to try new things. And it was fun to focus on
whatever they were eating, its taste, texture, how it matched or didn't
with the rest of the meal. Plus, we never made substitute meals. If
they didn't like what was served they could fend for
themselves....Don't know if that's good parenting, but it seems to have
worked since they turned out to be happy eaters. -aem

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>
>



DH and I will eat most anything except organ meats, liver, and lima beans.

Oh--Frog legs squick me out, but I'll eat any kind of shellfish. I like
buffalo, but most wild game tastes nasty to me. I've had roast moose
tenderloin in Sweden that was quite nice.

Son doesn't like canned tuna, tuna salad. Eats most everything else.

Daughter doesn't like nuts of any kind (says they taste bitter) or
cilantro. Doesn't like most cheeses except brie/mushroom brie.
Eats salad without any kind of dressing.

Son-in-law doesn't like mushrooms or many vegetables, particularly any
kind of squash. Also doesn't like "pudding" but enjoys it when it's
served in a pie shell. (Go figure!)

Grandson, age 4, is too young to decide. It changes day-to-day.

gloria p
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> I cook for myself and my father...
> I cook what he likes as long as it is healthy. ;-)
>
> If I want something else, I make myself a separate meal.
>
> It's no big deal...
>
> NOBODY should be forced or badgered to eat something they don't like!
> Life is too short to not enjoy your food.
> --



True, true. But then you have those that are 'fussy eaters' because
their parents, mother in particular, who have kow towed to them.
Example: Five year old great nephew who will eat nothing, but nothing,
but chicken nuggets. We are at my s-i-l's house, his grandmother, for
Thanksgiving. Every possible vegetable dish has been prepared,
including turkey and ham plus the usual kiddie favorite of mac &
cheese. Noooooo, he's got to have chicken nuggets. Pull some nuggets
out of the freezer and pop them in the oven for the little prince. The
little shit does this because he can get away with it. This is at
every single meal not just Thanksgiving. I'd let the let darling
starve until he could sit down at the table and eat what everyone else
is having.



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>
>


I'm lucky, the only form of pickiness I have to deal with is David's
vegetarianism and that's really no bother at all. He eats everything I cook,
even the experiments. There are only a few things he's told me that he's not a
huge fan of, risotto and mac and cheese, he doesn't mind them and will eat
them, but they're not his favorites. That's easy enough to deal with.

As for me, I hate hate hate onions and mushrooms and I have since I was a kid.
I remember epic battles to force me to eat them. I never liked them and I
never will. There are certain, very specific applications where I will use
onions, but usually I cook them up seperately for David. I remember all the
arguments about onions and mushrooms, that I was just being picky, that I'll
grow out of it, that I had to eat so many bites. I never grew out of it, but
it did make me very aware that if kids don't like something it's probably the
case that they don't like it and not just some act to **** their parents off.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


"S'mee" > wrote

>I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...


That's a hard question to answer. First of all, I wouldn't force
anyone to eat anything. That's just nasty. I was raised, you
ate what was on the table, no question of just having the vegetables,
whatever, you'd damn well sit there till your plate was clean.
Just stupid is what that is. Try pulling that routine on me today.

But if I couldn't serve all the foods you mention ... well ... why
can't you have that? Looking at your list of foods he won't eat,
well, that wouldn't fly with me. I love meatballs, if I make meatballs
for dinner, that's what's for dinner. He can eat something
else. There's the refrigerator/stove/pantry ... menus from the
chinese place/pizza ... know what I'm saying? Just because
one person has a very limited list of foods they will eat, why
does everyone else have to do without.

Different with kids, no, they don't get to just make what they
want. They can find something on the plate to eat, within
reason. They won't starve.

Sure wouldn't stop me from cutting out that recipe. Or having
rice or whatever it was. Two rules in my house, do not bring
liver into the house, just don't even think it. And, never. I mean
never. Microwave raw chicken.

nancy


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>
>


my husband does not like fish, eggplant, soy products, raw tomatoes,or
organ meats. He has generally expanded his tastes since I met him
though. Ellie will eat most things, provided they are not very spicy;
sometimes she is picky about things touching or mixed together, but
she's 3, and I have to cut her some slack there. She prefers raw veggies
to cooked, but if it sits on her plate long enough, she'll eat damned
near anything.
The only thing I will not consume under nearly any circumstance are lima
beans. I do prefer things to be preservative free/organic/free range
etc., but that can get pricey and I can't afford to be picky like that
right now.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
-Baruch Spinoza

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
is another theory which states that this has already happened."
-Douglas Adams
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

I'd never make my husband eat something, but the kids I do make them try one
bite. When they were little they'd cry for an hour, because of having to
try one bite. Now they just eat it and move on. I'd say 90% of the time
they still won't eat the dish they tried, but at least they've tried it.

My son doesn't like fruits and vegetables and that can be a struggle to make
him eat them. My daughter doesn't like sauces and 90% of the time I can
just leave a sauce off for her, but sometimes like last night... she knew to
just scrap it off and don't complain. I don't short order cook for the
kids, but I don't cook crazy stuff I know they won't like. Occasionally,
hubby and I will enjoy a recipe I know the kids won't like and now that they
are older I let them short order cook for themselves that night.

Lynne

"S'mee" > wrote in message
...
>I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>
>
> --
> Jani in WA (S'mee)
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~



  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?

> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...


To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables -
he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads are
out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef, pork, or
chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone or are on a
bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will only
eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he will only
eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains seeds or other
additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut butter and jelly, but
not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are chocolage and do not contain
nuts. That's about it.

Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I simply
could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add perhaps 2 items
to his diet that he would not eat before.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
__________________________________________________ ________________
And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.


Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:

>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...


We are pretty lucky in my family. My wife has a thing about beets and is
not to crazy about lima beans, but will eat just about anything. My son is
pretty adventurous. The only one in the family who is a PITA is my older
brother's oldest son. It's bad enough that he has so many dislikes, but he
pouts about the lack of options. He was here for Christmas dinner two
years ago. We had Carrot Pudding with caramel sauce, mince meat tarts,
butter tarts, shortbread, Nanaimo bars, Black Forest squares, brownies and
a few other types of cookies and he started with the there's nothing good
for dessert. I think he was expecting me to go out and root through the
freezer and cupboards for him..... tough luck kid :-)


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:

> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...


The worst one I knew was the neighbour's kid. He liked KFC chicken and hot
dogs with salt and pepper, and nothing else.

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

In article . com>,
"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > I cook for myself and my father...
> > I cook what he likes as long as it is healthy. ;-)
> >
> > If I want something else, I make myself a separate meal.
> >
> > It's no big deal...
> >
> > NOBODY should be forced or badgered to eat something they don't like!
> > Life is too short to not enjoy your food.
> > --

>
>
> True, true. But then you have those that are 'fussy eaters' because
> their parents, mother in particular, who have kow towed to them.
> Example: Five year old great nephew who will eat nothing, but nothing,
> but chicken nuggets. We are at my s-i-l's house, his grandmother, for
> Thanksgiving. Every possible vegetable dish has been prepared,
> including turkey and ham plus the usual kiddie favorite of mac &
> cheese. Noooooo, he's got to have chicken nuggets. Pull some nuggets
> out of the freezer and pop them in the oven for the little prince. The
> little shit does this because he can get away with it. This is at
> every single meal not just Thanksgiving. I'd let the let darling
> starve until he could sit down at the table and eat what everyone else
> is having.
>


See above...
I said I cook him what he wants as long as it's healthy. ;-)

A diet of only chicken nugggets does NOT fall into that category!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson


  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?
>
>> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very
>> similar).
>> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
>> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
>> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>
>> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
>> the rest of you may have to deal with...

>
> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive.
> Vegetables -
> he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads
> are
> out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef,
> pork, or
> chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone or are
> on a
> bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will
> only
> eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he will
> only
> eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains seeds or other
> additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut butter and jelly,
> but
> not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are chocolage and do not
> contain
> nuts. That's about it.


Glory be.. he is worse than my David..........................

I still love him though)


  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

In article > ,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> The only thing I will not consume under nearly any circumstance are lima
> beans.


<high fives Sarah>

I hate them too.
Always have, always will.

Other beans I hate are black eyed peas and garbanzo/chick peas!

Ick!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

In article >,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> ...
> > In article >,
> > (S'mee) wrote:
> >
> >> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> >> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> >> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> >> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> >> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
> >>
> >> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> >> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> >> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> >> the rest of you may have to deal with...

> >
> > I cook for myself and my father...
> > I cook what he likes as long as it is healthy. ;-)
> >
> > If I want something else, I make myself a separate meal.
> >
> > It's no big deal...
> >
> > NOBODY should be forced or badgered to eat something they don't like!

>
> Right - they can always cook for themselves. If someone is cooking for you
> it is very selfish to expect the menu to always cater to your personal
> preferences.


Not if they cook something that you totally hate...

Sorry, I just could not gag down some foods no matter HOW rude it might
be.

Fortunately, I'm the chief cook in the house and he's easy to please.
With a few limitations, he will eat nearly anything I eat/cook.

He will not eat beef. I love it.

I cook it only for myself when I want it, then cook him chicken, fish or
pork. Preparing two separate meals never has been a big deal. There is
more to life and relationships than food preferences. It just ain't
worth fighting over!

I'm 43, he's 73. Niether of us is going to change anytime soon. <G>

He loves Vienna sausages. I'll buy them for him, but won't ever, EVER
touch those nasty things for myself!!!!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?
>
>
>>I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>>(which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
>>Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
>>(DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
>>Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>
>>Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>>make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>>that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
>>the rest of you may have to deal with...

>
>
> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables -
> he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads are
> out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef, pork, or
> chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone or are on a
> bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will only
> eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he will only
> eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains seeds or other
> additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut butter and jelly, but
> not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are chocolage and do not contain
> nuts. That's about it.
>
> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I simply
> could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add perhaps 2 items
> to his diet that he would not eat before.
>


Thank GOD there is someone else out there with a spouse pickier than mine

Roberta (in VA)
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article > ,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>
>
>>The only thing I will not consume under nearly any circumstance are lima
>>beans.

>
>
> <high fives Sarah>
>
> I hate them too.
> Always have, always will.
>
> Other beans I hate are black eyed peas and garbanzo/chick peas!
>
> Ick!


My oldest daughter eats very very few vegetables - at the moment she
enjoys brocolli (steamed ONLY) and lima beans .... talk about odd taste

Roberta (in VA)


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 02:10:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> ...
>> On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?
>>
>>> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>>> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very
>>> similar). Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe
>>> because Miguel (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white
>>> sauce. Or coconut. Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>>
>>> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>>> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>>> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness the
>>> rest of you may have to deal with...

>>
>> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive.
>> Vegetables -
>> he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads
>> are out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef,
>> pork, or chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain
>> bone or are on a
>> bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will
>> only eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he
>> will only eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains
>> seeds or other additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut
>> butter and jelly, but not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are
>> chocolage and do not contain nuts. That's about it.

>
> Glory be.. he is worse than my David..........................
>
> I still love him though)


Yes, I love mine, too. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright **
__________________________________________________ ________________
And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.


Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 02:30:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Roberta?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?
>>
>>
>>>I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>>>(which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
>>>Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
>>>(DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
>>>Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>>
>>>Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>>>make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>>>that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness the
>>>rest of you may have to deal with...

>>
>>
>> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables
>> - he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads
>> are out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef,
>> pork, or chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone
>> or are on a bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits
>> - he will only eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice.
>> Breads - he will only eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that
>> contains seeds or other additives with texture. He will eat smooth
>> peanut butter and jelly, but not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they
>> are chocolage and do not contain nuts. That's about it.
>>
>> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I
>> simply could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add
>> perhaps 2 items to his diet that he would not eat before.
>>

>
> Thank GOD there is someone else out there with a spouse pickier than
> mine
>
> Roberta (in VA)


LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright **
__________________________________________________ ________________
And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.


Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nathalie Chiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:58:56 GMT,
(S'mee) wrote:

>I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>(which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
>Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
>(DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
>Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
>Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
>the rest of you may have to deal with...


My SO doesn't like tinned anchovies, Belgian endives and Brussel
sprouts (but then neither do I). Nor broccoli and oysters. He isn't a
big fan of egg dishes, but will eat them without fuss.
My oldest son (11) doesn't like foie gras (more for us!), oysters,
olives, asparagus and green salad.
My youngest son (7.5) doesn't like foie gras terrine (but loves hot
sauteed foie gras), oysters, bananas and chile.
That's it. I can't complain. it's a very specific list of not very
common stuff (except for the green salad, which *is* a hindrance - I
replace it with tomatoes or fennel or whatever for him, but it's not
always easy), and they will eat whatever I put on the table otherwise.
Usually, when I'm preparing supper, they will ask "what are you
cooking?" and the reaction to my answer is almost always "Yum!"

Nathalie in Switzerland


  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:58:56 GMT, S'mee wrote:

> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...


I remember when we were first married, hubby didn't want any type of
casserole. He claims now, he was never that way. LOL
--

Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:55:34 GMT, King's Crown wrote:

> I'd say 90% of the time
> they still won't eat the dish they tried, but at least they've tried it.


I had the two bite rule for my kids. Son says he used to hate it when
I was right... it DID taste good, but he'd refuse to continue eating
it just to be "right". Fortunately, he's not a picky eater anymore
and he's a really good cook.
--

Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.


  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

S'mee wrote:
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with.



I'd say the whole way of thinking about the question is different for
children and husbands. I don't recommend "making" anyone, child or
adult, eat anything they don't choose to eat, but even if I did, I
wouldn't have the first idea how to force a husband to eat. Tie him up
and hold a gun to his head? Every image I come up with is equally absurd.


On the other hand, what's stopping you from making a small portion of
the recipe you want to try and eating it yourself? Tell him he's on his
own for one night. He's an adult and can cook or go out. Or you could
make the meatball recipe and a vegetable side dish. He won't die if he
just gets vegetables for dinner one night.


You ask about fussiness in this household. As a rule, Jim doesn't care
for some of the greens I like (broccol rabe), and I don't like some of
the root vegetables he likes (beets). We have differences of opinion on
fish too. We both like to cook so it's not a big deal. When one of us
wants something that the other can't stand, we make it for ourselves.


I just got a test of seeing if I could stand behind my own beliefs about
not badgering people to eat anything they don't want to. I was a picky
kid who put up with parents constantly complaining about what I ate or
didn't eat. Meanwhile, I was healthy and growing normally, and I don't
recall ever demanding that they cook anything special for me. I just
wanted to be able to turn down whatever I didn't want to try. In time,
I grew out of the pickiness. My niece is very like I was. She and my
brother just visited. We went out to lunch at a Chinese buffet where
there's tons to choose from.


(This is a cool place-- an all you can eat buffet with at least 60
different items in steam tables. It isn't gourmet Chinese food; a lot
of it is fried and in sticky sauces, but there's plenty to choose from
including meats, stir-fry vegetables, cut up plain strawberries and
canteloupe, soups, salad, sushi, ice cream, cookies, etc.) She's 13 and
a vegetarian. She put a little white rice on her plate and some
strawberries, took a small bowl of ice cream and a slice of garlic
bread. She wanted someone else at the table to tell her what was on the
bread apparently because she was afraid it might turn out to have cheese
when she wanted garlic bread, poked around at the rice and didn't touch
the strawberries.


My first reaction was to say something about how she was eating so
little and so unhealthily, but then I drew a deep breath and said to
myself, she's a healthy height and weight for her age. She has no
health problems. She's really a nice polite kid. She didn't complain
or demand anything different food-wise or in any other way. (I took
some issue with the conversation about the garlic bread, but I could let
it go.) I just have to leave her alone.


--Lia

  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:


>> Right - they can always cook for themselves. If someone is cooking for
>> you
>> it is very selfish to expect the menu to always cater to your personal
>> preferences.

>
> Not if they cook something that you totally hate...
>
> Sorry, I just could not gag down some foods no matter HOW rude it might
> be.


He didn't say anything about making people gag it down.

nancy


  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters



S'mee wrote:
>
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...
>



Cooking for my mother, who doesn't like much that doesn't have a lot of
sugar in it LOL. Doesn't like many spices or herbs, definitely doesn't
like fish sauce, says she doesn't like a lot of meat but complains when
something vegetarian is cooked etc. So most meals are quite bland and
uninteresting.
  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


S'mee wrote:
> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>
> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> the rest of you may have to deal with...


About the only thing we butts heads about is celery - if I had my way I
would put it in everything, and DH hates it in everything except some
soups. He is finicky about preparation, but I have modified my
techniques to satisfy his pickiness (He's an Engineer; he likes
everything done on schedule, and perfectly...Don't ever marry one!!)
Oh, and he hates the way microwave popcorn smells so I make it
downstairs when he is up and upstairs when he is downstairs.

DS (almost 2) loves everything I have tried to feed him except cooked
peppers and carrots. The little guy loves curry (asks for curry sauce
to use as a dip), spicy foods, all veggies, seafood - everything!

I really feel pretty lucky. I don't think I would put up with too much
fussin' about food...

-L.



  #31 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dancing Queen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?
>
>> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very similar).
>> Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe because Miguel
>> (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white sauce. Or coconut.
>> Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>
>> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
>> the rest of you may have to deal with...

>
> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables -
> he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads are
> out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef, pork,
> or
> chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone or are on a
> bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will only
> eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he will only
> eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains seeds or other
> additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut butter and jelly, but
> not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are chocolage and do not contain
> nuts. That's about it.
>
> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I simply
> could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add perhaps 2
> items
> to his diet that he would not eat before.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright **
> __________________________________________________ ________________
> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.
>
>
> Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.


and would you say he is healthy? with all those will and will nots! doesnt
sound like he would be, but stranger things have happened.

c


  #32 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


>. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
>the rest of you may have to deal with...


My wife's 35-year-old brother is digusting. He still doesn't eat ANY
vegetables, has to special-order everything (no onions, no pickles, no
sausage, no this, no that).

On Thanksgiving we made a delicious sage stuffing with apples and
sausage. His mommy brought along a pot of Stove Top Stuffing so that
her honey would have something he likes.

GAG!

My wife and I love to cook, we eat a large variety of things, and
expose our kids (7 and 8) to those things. Yet they remain fussy
eaters....to the point that more often than not, they go to bed hungry
because they simply refuse to eat what we make.

We finally got sick of either making 2 meals or making "kid" food.
Now we make good food that we consider normal fare, and if they don't
like it, too bad.

When I was a kid my mom NEVER made us something else like chicken
nuggets or fish sticks just because we "didn't like" what she made.

Side note: Our friends have the opposite problem. They raised their
kids to eat everything very early on, and now every time they go out
the kids want lobster and steamed mussels. :-)
  #33 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters


Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables -
> he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads are
> out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef, pork, or
> chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone or are on a
> bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will only
> eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he will only
> eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains seeds or other
> additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut butter and jelly, but
> not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are chocolage and do not contain
> nuts. That's about it.
>
> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I simply
> could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add perhaps 2 items
> to his diet that he would not eat before.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright **


Honey, you are a saint. I would have kicked him in the butt, handed
him a knife, told him to "Cut the meat off the bone and scrape the
seeds off the bread. And while yer at it, take a bite of that salad -
it ain't gonna kill ya!" LOL..
-L.

  #34 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 05:48:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dancing
Queen?

>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> ...
>> On Sat 14 Jan 2006 10:58:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it S'mee?
>>
>>> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe
>>> (which sounds excellent, btw; my sibling makes something very
>>> similar). Anyway, I figured I wouldn't bother to save the recipe
>>> because Miguel (DH) doesn't like meatballs of any kind. Or white
>>> sauce. Or coconut. Or most sandwiches. *Sigh*
>>>
>>> Now I'm sure at least 10 people are queuing up to tell me I should
>>> make him eat it anyway, because they certainly wouldn't put up with
>>> that. But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness the
>>> rest of you may have to deal with...

>>
>> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables
>> - he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads
>> are out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef,
>> pork, or chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone
>> or are on a bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits
>> - he will only eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice.
>> Breads - he will only eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that
>> contains seeds or other additives with texture. He will eat smooth
>> peanut butter and jelly, but not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they
>> are chocolage and do not contain nuts. That's about it.
>>
>> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I
>> simply could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add
>> perhaps 2 items to his diet that he would not eat before.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright **
>> __________________________________________________ ________________
>> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.
>>
>>
>> Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

>
> and would you say he is healthy? with all those will and will nots!
> doesnt sound like he would be, but stranger things have happened.


This coming April will be two years since David had a quadruple arterial
bypass. If he hadn't had it, he would probably not be living now. Prior
to that he had several stents implanted. However, from a health standpoint
he is actually doing much better now and his test results for cholesterol,
BG, etc., are all completely in the normal range now. He continues to eat
better, but still will only eat a fairly narrow range of foods.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
__________________________________________________ ________________
And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.


Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
  #35 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

-L. wrote:
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables -
>> he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads are
>> out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef, pork, or
>> chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone or are on a
>> bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits - he will only
>> eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice. Breads - he will only
>> eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that contains seeds or other
>> additives with texture. He will eat smooth peanut butter and jelly, but
>> not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they are chocolage and do not contain
>> nuts. That's about it.
>>
>> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I simply
>> could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add perhaps 2 items
>> to his diet that he would not eat before.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

>
> Honey, you are a saint. I would have kicked him in the butt, handed
> him a knife, told him to "Cut the meat off the bone and scrape the
> seeds off the bread. And while yer at it, take a bite of that salad -
> it ain't gonna kill ya!" LOL..
> -L.
>



My ex's mother would routinely make 3 meals a night. She had 4 kids, two still
living at home well into their 20's. They were perfectly capable of making
their own food, but if left to their own devices would eat only chips and cold
cereal.

She wanted to be more adventurous in her cooking, but with a meat and potatoes
only husband and kids who would never eat anything strange or not doused in
ranch dressing she never really had the chance.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!


  #37 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On 14 Jan 2006 10:55:02 -0800, "itsjoannotjoann"
> wrote:

>
>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> I cook for myself and my father...
>> I cook what he likes as long as it is healthy. ;-)
>>
>> If I want something else, I make myself a separate meal.
>>
>> It's no big deal...
>>
>> NOBODY should be forced or badgered to eat something they don't like!
>> Life is too short to not enjoy your food.
>> --

>
>
>True, true. But then you have those that are 'fussy eaters' because
>their parents, mother in particular, who have kow towed to them.
>Example: Five year old great nephew who will eat nothing, but nothing,
>but chicken nuggets. We are at my s-i-l's house, his grandmother, for
>Thanksgiving. Every possible vegetable dish has been prepared,
>including turkey and ham plus the usual kiddie favorite of mac &
>cheese. Noooooo, he's got to have chicken nuggets. Pull some nuggets
>out of the freezer and pop them in the oven for the little prince. The
>little shit does this because he can get away with it. This is at
>every single meal not just Thanksgiving. I'd let the let darling
>starve until he could sit down at the table and eat what everyone else
>is having.


I couldn't agree more...
Ok,, here's my long rant...

When I was married.. ex-wifes' kids would rule the roost..
Wife had a 8 to 5 job and I was "on call" a lot, thus I was around the
house more than she was... I had more time to do the cooking and I did
a better job of it.
The kids weren't picky eaters really,, but were control freaks...
They would eat almost anything, as long as it's not something that
you've just cooked for their meal..
The kids LOVED my spaghetti,,, but if I made it without them
requesting it FIRST... they would pipe up right about time for me to
put it on the table.. "I want pizza" the other one "I want hot dogs"
And off the ex-wife would run to the store for hot dog and pizza
stuff...
To add to this.. If I simply covered the spaghetti and placed it in
the fridge for the next night... forgetaboutit! THEY DON'T DO
LEFTOVERS!
I even tried asking for suggestions in the morning as what they could
agree on for dinner that night. If they changed their minds prior to
meal time.. I might as well throw it out..
I gained 40 pounds while in this situation,,, trying to eat up all
this food to keep from throwing it all away... (plus the eating to
drown my sorrows of "what have I gotten myself into!") not too
smart..
Needless to say... glad to be out of that marriage!
Of course the kids,now 8 years older, think they anyone who doesn't
jump to attention and try to kiss their butts,, is a jerk,,
To me... their mommy has set them up for a tough time in life..
Chuck (in SC)
  #38 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On 2006-01-14, S'mee > wrote:

> I was checking out Gloria's Sweet & Sour Cocktail Meatball recipe


Hah!.... When I first glanced at the subject, I though it said
something else.

nb
  #39 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 05:52:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> To make a list of what David won't eat would be exhaustive. Vegetables
>> - he will only eat peas (canned), carrots, corn, and potatoes. Salads
>> are out of the question. Meats - he will only eat a few cuts of beef,
>> pork, or chicken, and none of them can be cuts that either contain bone
>> or are on a bone. He will not eat any form of fish or seafood. Fruits
>> - he will only eat bananas, grapes, applesauce, and orange juice.
>> Breads - he will only eat soft white or sourdough, and nothing that
>> contains seeds or other additives with texture. He will eat smooth
>> peanut butter and jelly, but not jam or preserves. Desserts, if they
>> are chocolage and do not contain nuts. That's about it.
>>
>> Needless to say, I cook many separate meals for the two of us. I
>> simply could not exist on that. In 14 years, I have managed to add
>> perhaps 2 ite ms to his diet that he would not eat before.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright **

>
> Honey, you are a saint. I would have kicked him in the butt, handed
> him a knife, told him to "Cut the meat off the bone and scrape the
> seeds off the bread. And while yer at it, take a bite of that salad -
> it ain't gonna kill ya!" LOL..
> -L.


Oh, I tried my best to reform him when we were first together. I have to
admit that he would "try" to eat some of the (quite normal) things he had
never eaten before, but most of them he simply couldn't abide, and
actually claimed they made him feel "sick". <g> He now eats and loves
veal which he had never eaten before, as well as filet mignon which he had
never tasted. Still, he'd probably have a hamburger if left to his own
devices, and a greasy one at that, however greasy food is now verboten.
He will eat *shredded* lettuce on a sandwich or a very small salad, but
God forbig he should eat a *leaf* of it. <g> After this many yaers I'm
quite used to it, plan for it, and it's no major effort now. Eating out
he will join me at Asian restaurants but no foods on their menus will ever
pass his lips. One exception is Lemon Chicken, as long as it doesn't have
too many "pieces" of other things in it. <g> And so it goes...

--
Wayne Boatwright **
__________________________________________________ ________________
And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.


Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
  #40 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fussy Eaters

One time on Usenet, The Bubbo > said:
> S'mee wrote:


<snip>

> > But I'm more interested in knowing what kind of fussiness
> > the rest of you may have to deal with...


> I'm lucky, the only form of pickiness I have to deal with is David's
> vegetarianism and that's really no bother at all. He eats everything I cook,
> even the experiments. There are only a few things he's told me that he's not a
> huge fan of, risotto and mac and cheese, he doesn't mind them and will eat
> them, but they're not his favorites. That's easy enough to deal with.


That's very broadminded of him. DH tries not to be fussy, he just
gags at the thought of certain things, like meatballs. I have no
idea why.

> As for me, I hate hate hate onions and mushrooms and I have since I was a kid.
> I remember epic battles to force me to eat them. I never liked them and I
> never will. There are certain, very specific applications where I will use
> onions, but usually I cook them up seperately for David. I remember all the
> arguments about onions and mushrooms, that I was just being picky, that I'll
> grow out of it, that I had to eat so many bites. I never grew out of it, but
> it did make me very aware that if kids don't like something it's probably the
> case that they don't like it and not just some act to **** their parents off.


I wonder, though, if maybe being literally forced to eat something
you didn't like might not have something to do with it. Just like you,
I *hated* mushrooms and onions, but I only had to take one bite. (Mom
was glad not to waste the mushrooms anyway, as they were usually wild
Chanterelles that hunted ourselves [lot of work!].) Then in my 30's,
I developed a great fondness for both. Just a thought...


--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taco Bell Pulls Super Bowl Ad Making Fun of Veggie Eaters After Veggie Eaters Complain Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 13 12-02-2013 10:49 PM
Fussy cooking aem General Cooking 3 15-04-2009 08:25 PM
Fussy eaters-kids [email protected] General Cooking 19 31-05-2006 11:26 PM
fussy child sam General Cooking 3 18-02-2006 02:41 AM
fussy eaters sam General Cooking 21 05-02-2006 01:32 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"