Old 23-12-2005, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
echo

Default Kiwi Peeler?

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
must deal with?

Old 23-12-2005, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 23 Dec 2005 08:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it echo?

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to
peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is
there an Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact
of life one must deal with?

Yes, Virginia, there really is a Kiwi Peeler.

http://www.tableandhome.com/prodhcjcf

--
Wayne Boatwright **
Old 23-12-2005, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"echo" wrote in message
I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there
an
Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
must deal with?

I see from Wayne's reply that there actually is such a tool.

I have seen that one can scoop it out like one would scoop out an avocado,
with a spoon.
But, frankly, I've never seen a absolutely ripe kiwi to do this; mine just
generally turn into mush, and I'm not smitten with them anymore. I'll bet
they are delicious absolutely ripe from a tree -- like any other fruit (days
gone by!).
Dee Dee

Old 23-12-2005, 03:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"echo" wrote in message

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult
to peel with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and
shreds easily. Is there an Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi
fruit, or is it just a fact of life one must deal with?

It's not strictly necessary to peel them; gently rub away the fuzz and you
can eat the skin.

Watch out eating too many in one sitting; kiwis contain an enzyme which can
be used to tenderize meat, and eating too many at one time can make your
mouth quite raw.

-j

Old 23-12-2005, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "echo"
wrote:

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
must deal with?

I use a vegetable peelers. Many eat the flesh by scooping it out with a
spoon. Carefully.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

Old 23-12-2005, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 23 Dec 2005 08:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it echo?

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to
peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is
there an Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact
of life one must deal with?

Yes, Virginia, there really is a Kiwi Peeler.

http://www.tableandhome.com/prodhcjcf

Save your $12.99. Cut the kiwi in half along either plane
and scoop out with a thin-bowled spoon. A plastic spoon
works well, too. A serrated grapefruit knife is another
possibility.

gloria p
allergic to kiwifruit
:-(
Old 23-12-2005, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

Puester wrote in
:

Save your $12.99. Cut the kiwi in half along either plane
and scoop out with a thin-bowled spoon. A plastic spoon
works well, too. A serrated grapefruit knife is another
possibility.

gloria p
allergic to kiwifruit
:-(

Yep. In fact I have several "kiwifruit spoons". Not sure if they still
have them, but the supermarket I frequent had a huge pile of these to
just take for free when you bought kiwifruit - a plastic spoon with a
seerrated edge handle (not sharp enough to hurt). Cut the kiwifruit in
half with one end, use the spoon to eat it.

When I'm using them for a fruit platter or for pavlova or similar, I
just use a sharp paring knife to peel them. You lose a little fruit, but
not very much once you get used to doing it.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Old 23-12-2005, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

echo wrote:

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
must deal with?

Try using a spoon. They have to be nice and ripe, but just slice the kiwi in
half and use a spoon to dig out the flesh, just like a soft boiled egg.

Old 23-12-2005, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Rhonda Anderson wrote in
.5:

Puester wrote in
:

[...]

Ooh... ohh... RAISING HAND....

Don't peel 'em, just slice 'em in 1/2 inch slices. then place the knife
between the pulp and the skin and holding the kniffe steady, rotate the the
kiwi until the skin falls off.

I'm a Kiwi champ!!!!!!

ANdy
Old 24-12-2005, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:39:49 -0600, Andy q wrote:

Ooh... ohh... RAISING HAND....

Don't peel 'em, just slice 'em in 1/2 inch slices. then place the knife
between the pulp and the skin and holding the kniffe steady, rotate the the
kiwi until the skin falls off.

I'm a Kiwi champ!!!!!!

Same way an Aussie chef taught me to do it.

jim

Old 27-12-2005, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:46:23 -0500, "Dee Randall"
wrote:
(snip)

Funny thing, but today shopping at Costco, I looked at the kiwi's mainly
because I had been reading this thread. The kiwis were about twice the size
they normally are. They were from Italy -- I've never seen any from Italy
before.

Reading your post, they are quite hard, and probably will stay horrid and
sour, but they looked too good to pass up -- size-wize and not all bruised
up.
I will try a few with a couple of apples in a container at room temperature
and see what happens.
Thanks,
Dee De

Hi Dee - I am in New Zealand which we like to think is the home of the
kiwi fruit (it actually came here from China originally and was called
a Chinese Gooseberry when I was growing up!)

There are only certain areas in New Zealand that can produce really
good kiwi fruit suitable for export, and believe me there is nowhere,
but nowhere, in Italy that resembles these areas. For one thing the
fruit needs plentiful rain at the right time of the year and
particularly throughout spring and early summer (which nowhere in
Italy that I know of does).

In Europe I have eaten kiwi fruit grown in Chile, and they were
adequate, but because there are limited areas in New Zealand where
these fruit are grown to export standard, the right conditions must be
difficult to replicate - and I simply cannot imagine anywhere in Italy
that can really succeed with this fruit.

But, hey, good luck to them for trying!

Cheers

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Old 27-12-2005, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

Daisy wrote in
:

There are only certain areas in New Zealand that can produce really
good kiwi fruit suitable for export, and believe me there is nowhere,
but nowhere, in Italy that resembles these areas. For one thing the
fruit needs plentiful rain at the right time of the year and
particularly throughout spring and early summer (which nowhere in
Italy that I know of does).

In Europe I have eaten kiwi fruit grown in Chile, and they were
adequate, but because there are limited areas in New Zealand where
these fruit are grown to export standard, the right conditions must be
difficult to replicate - and I simply cannot imagine anywhere in Italy
that can really succeed with this fruit.

Kiwifruit's been imported into Australia from Italy for years. I remember
seeing paperwork for some imports at work (I work for the Australian
Quarantine & Inspection Service) some years ago, and being surprised that
we were importing kiwifruit from Italy.

I just Googled a little, and found that Italy is a major producer of
kiwifruit - at least in some years having been the top producer.

http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodi...ral/kiwifruit/

Even some Zespri brand (a NZ company) kiwifruit are grown in Italy).
http://www.zesprikiwi.com/kiwifruit.htm

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia