Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Default Kiwi Peeler?

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >,
> says...
>> But, frankly, I've never seen a absolutely ripe kiwi to do this; mine
>> just
>> generally turn into mush, and I'm not smitten with them anymore. I'll bet
>> they are delicious absolutely ripe from a tree -- like any other fruit
>> (days
>> gone by!).
>> Dee Dee

> I've a few vines and we never get to eat them ripe off the vine, our micro
> climate is too wet and cold in winter - they stay as hard as rocks until
> the
> birds peck them. So we pick'em hard in early winter and when we want to
> eat
> some we put them into a tupperware-type container with a couple of apples
> at
> room temperature. The apples will ripen the kiwifruit and you can eat them
> at
> exactly the stage where you like them best.
> Won't work with fruit that's been picked waaaay immature though, they'll
> stay
> horrid and sour regardles.
>
> -P.

Funny thing, but today shopping at Costco, I looked at the kiwi's mainly
because I had been reading this thread. The kiwis were about twice the size
they normally are. They were from Italy -- I've never seen any from Italy
before.

Reading your post, they are quite hard, and probably will stay horrid and
sour, but they looked too good to pass up -- size-wize and not all bruised
up.
I will try a few with a couple of apples in a container at room temperature
and see what happens.
Thanks,
Dee De