Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

Default Kiwi Peeler?

In article >, says...
> But, frankly, I've never seen a absolutely ripe kiwi to do this; mine just
> generally turn into mush, and I'm not smitten with them anymore. I'll bet
> they are delicious absolutely ripe from a tree -- like any other fruit (days
> gone by!).
> Dee Dee

I've a few vines and we never get to eat them ripe off the vine, our micro
climate is too wet and cold in winter - they stay as hard as rocks until the
birds peck them. So we pick'em hard in early winter and when we want to eat
some we put them into a tupperware-type container with a couple of apples at
room temperature. The apples will ripen the kiwifruit and you can eat them at
exactly the stage where you like them best.
Won't work with fruit that's been picked waaaay immature though, they'll stay
horrid and sour regardles.

-P.