Posted to rec.food.cooking
echo

Default Kiwi Peeler?

I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
must deal with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 23 Dec 2005 08:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it echo?

> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to
> peel
> with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is
> there an Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact
> of life one must deal with?

Yes, Virginia, there really is a Kiwi Peeler.

http://www.tableandhome.com/prodhcjcf

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"echo" > wrote in message
> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
> with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there
> an
> Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
> must deal with?

I see from Wayne's reply that there actually is such a tool.

I have seen that one can scoop it out like one would scoop out an avocado,
with a spoon.
But, frankly, I've never seen a absolutely ripe kiwi to do this; mine just
generally turn into mush, and I'm not smitten with them anymore. I'll bet
they are delicious absolutely ripe from a tree -- like any other fruit (days
gone by!).
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"echo" > wrote in message

> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult
> to peel with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and
> shreds easily. Is there an Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi
> fruit, or is it just a fact of life one must deal with?

It's not strictly necessary to peel them; gently rub away the fuzz and you
can eat the skin.

Watch out eating too many in one sitting; kiwis contain an enzyme which can
be used to tenderize meat, and eating too many at one time can make your
mouth quite raw.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "echo" >
wrote:

> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
> with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
> Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
> must deal with?

I use a vegetable peelers. Many eat the flesh by scooping it out with a
spoon. Carefully.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 23 Dec 2005 08:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it echo?
>

>> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to
>> peel
>>with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is
>>there an Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact
>>of life one must deal with?

> Yes, Virginia, there really is a Kiwi Peeler.
>
> http://www.tableandhome.com/prodhcjcf

Save your $12.99. Cut the kiwi in half along either plane
and scoop out with a thin-bowled spoon. A plastic spoon
works well, too. A serrated grapefruit knife is another
possibility.

gloria p
allergic to kiwifruit
:-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

Puester > wrote in
:

> Save your $12.99. Cut the kiwi in half along either plane
> and scoop out with a thin-bowled spoon. A plastic spoon
> works well, too. A serrated grapefruit knife is another
> possibility.
>
> gloria p
> allergic to kiwifruit
>:-(

Yep. In fact I have several "kiwifruit spoons". Not sure if they still
have them, but the supermarket I frequent had a huge pile of these to
just take for free when you bought kiwifruit - a plastic spoon with a
seerrated edge handle (not sharp enough to hurt). Cut the kiwifruit in
half with one end, use the spoon to eat it.

When I'm using them for a fruit platter or for pavlova or similar, I
just use a sharp paring knife to peel them. You lose a little fruit, but
not very much once you get used to doing it.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

echo wrote:

> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
> with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
> Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
> must deal with?

Try using a spoon. They have to be nice and ripe, but just slice the kiwi in
half and use a spoon to dig out the flesh, just like a soft boiled egg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
.5:

> Puester > wrote in
> :
>

>> Save your $12.99. Cut the kiwi in half along either plane
>> and scoop out with a thin-bowled spoon. A plastic spoon
>> works well, too. A serrated grapefruit knife is another
>> possibility.
>>
>> gloria p
>> allergic to kiwifruit
>>:-(
>>

> Yep. In fact I have several "kiwifruit spoons". Not sure if they still
> have them, but the supermarket I frequent had a huge pile of these to
> just take for free when you bought kiwifruit - a plastic spoon with a
> seerrated edge handle (not sharp enough to hurt). Cut the kiwifruit in
> half with one end, use the spoon to eat it.
>
> When I'm using them for a fruit platter or for pavlova or similar, I
> just use a sharp paring knife to peel them. You lose a little fruit, but
> not very much once you get used to doing it.
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Ooh... ohh... RAISING HAND....

Don't peel 'em, just slice 'em in 1/2 inch slices. then place the knife
between the pulp and the skin and holding the kniffe steady, rotate the the
kiwi until the skin falls off.

I'm a Kiwi champ!!!!!!

ANdy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:39:49 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Ooh... ohh... RAISING HAND....
>
>Don't peel 'em, just slice 'em in 1/2 inch slices. then place the knife
>between the pulp and the skin and holding the kniffe steady, rotate the the
>kiwi until the skin falls off.
>
>I'm a Kiwi champ!!!!!!

Same way an Aussie chef taught me to do it.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >,
> says...
>> But, frankly, I've never seen a absolutely ripe kiwi to do this; mine
>> just
>> generally turn into mush, and I'm not smitten with them anymore. I'll bet
>> they are delicious absolutely ripe from a tree -- like any other fruit
>> (days
>> gone by!).
>> Dee Dee

> I've a few vines and we never get to eat them ripe off the vine, our micro
> climate is too wet and cold in winter - they stay as hard as rocks until
> the
> birds peck them. So we pick'em hard in early winter and when we want to
> eat
> some we put them into a tupperware-type container with a couple of apples
> at
> room temperature. The apples will ripen the kiwifruit and you can eat them
> at
> exactly the stage where you like them best.
> Won't work with fruit that's been picked waaaay immature though, they'll
> stay
> horrid and sour regardles.
>
> -P.

Funny thing, but today shopping at Costco, I looked at the kiwi's mainly
because I had been reading this thread. The kiwis were about twice the size
they normally are. They were from Italy -- I've never seen any from Italy
before.

Reading your post, they are quite hard, and probably will stay horrid and
sour, but they looked too good to pass up -- size-wize and not all bruised
up.
I will try a few with a couple of apples in a container at room temperature
and see what happens.
Thanks,
Dee De

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:46:23 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
(snip)

>Funny thing, but today shopping at Costco, I looked at the kiwi's mainly
>because I had been reading this thread. The kiwis were about twice the size
>they normally are. They were from Italy -- I've never seen any from Italy
>before.
>
>Reading your post, they are quite hard, and probably will stay horrid and
>sour, but they looked too good to pass up -- size-wize and not all bruised
>up.
>I will try a few with a couple of apples in a container at room temperature
>and see what happens.
>Thanks,
>Dee De

Hi Dee - I am in New Zealand which we like to think is the home of the
kiwi fruit (it actually came here from China originally and was called
a Chinese Gooseberry when I was growing up!)

There are only certain areas in New Zealand that can produce really
good kiwi fruit suitable for export, and believe me there is nowhere,
but nowhere, in Italy that resembles these areas. For one thing the
fruit needs plentiful rain at the right time of the year and
particularly throughout spring and early summer (which nowhere in
Italy that I know of does).

In Europe I have eaten kiwi fruit grown in Chile, and they were
adequate, but because there are limited areas in New Zealand where
these fruit are grown to export standard, the right conditions must be
difficult to replicate - and I simply cannot imagine anywhere in Italy
that can really succeed with this fruit.

But, hey, good luck to them for trying!

Cheers

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

Daisy > wrote in
:

> There are only certain areas in New Zealand that can produce really
> good kiwi fruit suitable for export, and believe me there is nowhere,
> but nowhere, in Italy that resembles these areas. For one thing the
> fruit needs plentiful rain at the right time of the year and
> particularly throughout spring and early summer (which nowhere in
> Italy that I know of does).
>
> In Europe I have eaten kiwi fruit grown in Chile, and they were
> adequate, but because there are limited areas in New Zealand where
> these fruit are grown to export standard, the right conditions must be
> difficult to replicate - and I simply cannot imagine anywhere in Italy
> that can really succeed with this fruit.

Kiwifruit's been imported into Australia from Italy for years. I remember
seeing paperwork for some imports at work (I work for the Australian
Quarantine & Inspection Service) some years ago, and being surprised that
we were importing kiwifruit from Italy.

I just Googled a little, and found that Italy is a major producer of
kiwifruit - at least in some years having been the top producer.

http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodi...ral/kiwifruit/

Even some Zespri brand (a NZ company) kiwifruit are grown in Italy).
http://www.zesprikiwi.com/kiwifruit.htm

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jilda

echo wrote:
> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
> with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
> Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
> must deal with?

Hello Echo:

I work for the company that represents ZESPRI Kiwifruit in North
America (The Oppenheimer Group), and I manage the www.zesprikiwi.com
Web site.

We've found that most Americans have the same trouble with eating
kiwifruit that you've described. As others in this string have
described, we recomend slicing kiwis in half and scooping out the pulp
with a spoon.

ZESPRI developed a handy tool that we give away for free during the New
Zealand kiwifruit season (June - October). The Spife is half spoon and
half knife, designed to teach the "cut and scoop" method of kiwifruit
eating. More information on the Spife is available on our Web site:
http://www.zesprikiwi.com/cutandscoop.htm

Kind regards,
Jilda

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

>echo wrote:
>> I have developed a taste for Kiwi fruit, but I find it difficult to peel
>> with my thumb or fingers as the peel is thin, and shreds easily. Is there an
>> Aussie solution for peeling a Kiwi fruit, or is it just a fact of life one
>> must deal with?

Now, says I horrified and hurt, why would you ask an Aussie about
kiwifruit. You should ask a Kiwi.

To eat kiwifruit as a fruit, cut in half, scoop out with a teaspoon.

To prepare kiwifruit for a dessert, peel with a vege peeler. Cut off
both ends and discard. Slice.

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

In article >, schumacher11
@bigpond.com says...
> I think Dad might actually have
> got them from the same home gardener who used to give him monsterio
> deliciosa fruit - haven't had that for many years.
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

We have monstera fruit every year but we never get to eat it. The top of the
fruit is already rotten and full of ants before the bottom is even half ripe.

Is there a knack to get them to ripen all over?

The smell is just soooo enticing.

-P.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

Peter Huebner > wrote in
t:

> In article >,
> schumacher11 @bigpond.com says...
>> I think Dad might actually have
>> got them from the same home gardener who used to give him monsterio
>> deliciosa fruit - haven't had that for many years.
>>
>> Rhonda Anderson
>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
>>

> We have monstera fruit every year but we never get to eat it. The top
> of the fruit is already rotten and full of ants before the bottom is
> even half ripe.
>
> Is there a knack to get them to ripen all over?
>
> The smell is just soooo enticing.
>
> -P.

Peter, I've not had them for years, and don't remember what mum did, but
I did find these references. Hope they might help. The fruit does smell
amazing, doesn't it? My mum used to call it fruit salad plant.

They apparently ripen by stages, not all over. It looks like you should
take the fruit off the plant, it will keep ripening, and eat it by stages
as it ripens.

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/monstera.htm
http://starchefs.com/NVanAkenTips/html/menu04.shtml

Rhonda Anderson