Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

Default Kiwi Peeler

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:46:23 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
(snip)

>Funny thing, but today shopping at Costco, I looked at the kiwi's mainly
>because I had been reading this thread. The kiwis were about twice the size
>they normally are. They were from Italy -- I've never seen any from Italy
>before.
>
>Reading your post, they are quite hard, and probably will stay horrid and
>sour, but they looked too good to pass up -- size-wize and not all bruised
>up.
>I will try a few with a couple of apples in a container at room temperature
>and see what happens.
>Thanks,
>Dee De

Hi Dee - I am in New Zealand which we like to think is the home of the
kiwi fruit (it actually came here from China originally and was called
a Chinese Gooseberry when I was growing up!)

There are only certain areas in New Zealand that can produce really
good kiwi fruit suitable for export, and believe me there is nowhere,
but nowhere, in Italy that resembles these areas. For one thing the
fruit needs plentiful rain at the right time of the year and
particularly throughout spring and early summer (which nowhere in
Italy that I know of does).

In Europe I have eaten kiwi fruit grown in Chile, and they were
adequate, but because there are limited areas in New Zealand where
these fruit are grown to export standard, the right conditions must be
difficult to replicate - and I simply cannot imagine anywhere in Italy
that can really succeed with this fruit.

But, hey, good luck to them for trying!

Cheers

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!