Old 12-06-2021, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:29:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.

I see service dogs frequently as we are five miles from a training
center and they brings a dog to the store on occasion, always well
behaved.

Bruce

Old 12-06-2021, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:26:45 +1000, Dave Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:11:29 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

It was happening here for a while but I haven't seen it much lately.
Maybe it is the pandemic and the whackos with phony service dogs have
locked themselves down.

We had an incident at our art festival a couple years ago. I was working
the wine bar when I saw two young boys walking a dog. Actually, the dog
was walking them. It had a harness and Serve Dog patch on it. It was on
a long, long lead and out of control and I immediately realized it was
no service dog. It turned out to be the "service dog" of the younger
brother of a young artist. The kid was autaustic or something.We had a
serious complaint from another artist who claimed to be violently
allergic to dogs. We adopted a policy that we would admit only certified
service dogs.

Even that can be an issue because there are outfits online who sell
certificates. There is always a sale on, so for $149.95 you can get the
whole deal, the leash, harness, Service Dog patch, and a certificate
that you can fill in for yourself.

Apparently the province of British Columbia has passed a law dealing
with service animals. They have to be trained for a specific task and
then certified by the authourities. There is a hefty fine for trying to
pass off a service animal as being certified if it is not. I heard
recently that airlines have taken action to deny a lot of "service animals"

Dave can never handle when someone has an advantage or a benefit that
he doesn't have. It awakens the green-eyed monster in him.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 15:28:16 -0400, Sheldon Martin
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:51:56 +1000, Dave Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:29:19 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-06-12 10:30 a.m., US Janet wrote:

I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.

I have no problem with genuine service dogs or services dogs in
training.

Wow Dave, that's fantastic! No problem at all? You're not jealous that
they have 4 legs? FANTASTIC!

I see seeing eye dogs at the markets in town all the time.

Woof. I bet you sniff those dog's asses in a flash master doctor.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 13-06-2021, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

Never seen it here. Our folks are a bit more saavy on such and do not
allow them in. Randomly though you do hear of emotional support
animals causing problems at the beach. Gary may know if it's common.

BTW, we do have some limited area beach access for dogs (on leashes).
Old 13-06-2021, 12:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:22:12 -0500, "cshenk"
wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

"Our folks are a bit more savvy on such"... it's almost poetry.

--
Bruce
Old 13-06-2021, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 11:24 AM, jmcquown wrote:

The idea of leaving a child in a car is simply unfathonable to me.
Truly, I've been hearing PSA's on the radio [I'm paraphrasing but it's
pretty darn close] "Make sure you check the back seat when you get out
of the car and lock the doors."

How could anyone possibly *forget* they brought their child with them
when they went shopping?* Strapped in a car seat and car doors locked.
WTH is wrong with these people?!* The PSA says if you notice a child in
a car unattended and the doors are locked and you can't quickly locate
the parent use any means necessary *including* breaking a window on the
oppoosite side to get the child out and into fresh air.* And of course
call 911.* And start yelling your head off for help.

How sad is it that the world needs PSA reminders like this?* Kind of sucks.

Jill

Happens every year. Some cars now have sensors if something in the back
seat.n

Old 13-06-2021, 01:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 7:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

I did see a "service dog" in my beach Harris Teeter grocery store about
6 months ago. I talked with the woman for a few minutes too. Nice lady,
nice little furry (fur over eyes) white dog.

Note: it wasn't some official service dog. That's what she was calling
it. lol

I had no problem with the dog in the store but others might have.

I have my reservations about all this support/service animal crap
though. It's just continuing liberal nonsense that we should accept any
weirdo as "normal."

IMO, if you can't even go to a store without your pet by your side, stay
home and order everything to be delivered. Even better...let your pet
order the food while you sit nearby in a chair softly crying over daily
stress.

Old 13-06-2021, 01:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:26:46 -0400, Gary wrote:

I did see a "service dog" in my beach Harris Teeter grocery store about
6 months ago. I talked with the woman for a few minutes too. Nice lady,
nice little furry (fur over eyes) white dog.

Note: it wasn't some official service dog. That's what she was calling
it. lol

I had no problem with the dog in the store but others might have.

I have my reservations about all this support/service animal crap
though. It's just continuing liberal nonsense that we should accept any
weirdo as "normal."

We should accept every "weirdo" and I do. But I do wish the "weirdos"
would stop their attention seeking. Just because 0.001% of the
population don't know if they're a man or a woman is no reason to
change all public toilets to gender neutral.

IMO, if you can't even go to a store without your pet by your side, stay
home and order everything to be delivered. Even better...let your pet
order the food while you sit nearby in a chair softly crying over daily
stress.

That's rather crude, insensitive and narrow-minded, but then we all
have our weaker moments.

--
Bruce
Old 13-06-2021, 01:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 8:34:15 AM UTC-4, "somebody" wrote:
Just because 0.001% of the
population don't know if they're a man or a woman is no reason to
change all public toilets to gender neutral.

Really? Is that happening?

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-06-2021, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
I see seeing eye dogs at the markets in town all the time.

Best joke of the day.
Your rural area must be a haven for the blind.
The best blind haven in the universe.

In my entire lifetime I've only seen blind with dogs or with a white
cane tapping around on TV. Not once in real life. Perhaps they all sleep
late and get out later in the day (after my time).

Old 13-06-2021, 03:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:43:16 -0400, Gary wrote:

Sheldon Martin wrote:
I see seeing eye dogs at the markets in town all the time.

Best joke of the day.
Your rural area must be a haven for the blind.
The best blind haven in the universe.

In my entire lifetime I've only seen blind with dogs or with a white
cane tapping around on TV. Not once in real life. Perhaps they all sleep
late and get out later in the day (after my time).

If you think being blind is a joke then you are DUMB. There are blind
living everywhere... deaf too, my mom's best friend was deaf, that's
why as a young girl she learned to Sign.
There are road signs here that say blind/deaf child. There are also
migration road signs put out here at times of the year; Slow for
frogs, turtles, ducklings, etc. Garish lives a very sheltered life
that he's never seen a Seeing Eye Dog, he's never seen Deer/Moose/Bear
Xing signs. There are several US Military Vets in this small town who
travel with service dogs.
Old 13-06-2021, 03:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:42:40 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 8:34:15 AM UTC-4, "somebody" wrote:
Just because 0.001% of the population don't know if they're a man or a
woman is no reason to change all public toilets to gender neutral.

Really? Is that happening?

Not publicly yet. I worked for the Defence Department a few years back,
and all the washrooms had the 'M/F' signs removed. By the time I left,
many of their washrooms had user-written signs with 'Urinals' / 'No
urinals' posted which the management left in place, presumably for the
benefits of those 'in a hurry'.