FoodBanter.com

-   -   Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/454470-non-service-dogs-grocery.html)

Sqwertz[_53_] 11-06-2021 11:31 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

Taxed and Spent 11-06-2021 11:33 PM

On 6/11/2021 3:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?
>
> -sw

What foods can dogs not resist that comes in shatterproof glass jars?

Taxed and Spent 11-06-2021 11:34 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On 6/11/2021 3:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?
>
> -sw

What foods can dogs not resist that comes in ***NON***shatterproof glass
jars?

Dave Smith[_39_] 11-06-2021 11:37 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:34:06 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/11/2021 3:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>> stores too?
>>
>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>
>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>> Why?
>>
>> -sw
>>

>What foods can dogs not resist that comes in ***NON***shatterproof glass
>jars?

Bruce (not DS)

Dave Smith[_39_] 11-06-2021 11:37 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:33:17 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Dave Smith[_39_] 11-06-2021 11:37 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:31:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>stores too?
>
>Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>customers or dogs at any given time.
>
>Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>Why?
>
>-sw

Bruce (not DS)

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 12:11 AM

On 2021-06-11 6:31 p.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?

It was happening here for a while but I haven't seen it much lately.
Maybe it is the pandemic and the whackos with phony service dogs have
locked themselves down.

We had an incident at our art festival a couple years ago. I was working
the wine bar when I saw two young boys walking a dog. Actually, the dog
was walking them. It had a harness and Serve Dog patch on it. It was on
a long, long lead and out of control and I immediately realized it was
no service dog. It turned out to be the "service dog" of the younger
brother of a young artist. The kid was autaustic or something.We had a
serious complaint from another artist who claimed to be violently
allergic to dogs. We adopted a policy that we would admit only certified
service dogs.

Even that can be an issue because there are outfits online who sell
certificates. There is always a sale on, so for $149.95 you can get the
whole deal, the leash, harness, Service Dog patch, and a certificate
that you can fill in for yourself.

Apparently the province of British Columbia has passed a law dealing
with service animals. They have to be trained for a specific task and
then certified by the authourities. There is a hefty fine for trying to
pass off a service animal as being certified if it is not. I heard
recently that airlines have taken action to deny a lot of "service animals"

Dave Smith[_41_] 12-06-2021 12:26 AM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:11:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It was happening here for a while but I haven't seen it much lately.
>Maybe it is the pandemic and the whackos with phony service dogs have
>locked themselves down.
>
>We had an incident at our art festival a couple years ago. I was working
>the wine bar when I saw two young boys walking a dog. Actually, the dog
>was walking them. It had a harness and Serve Dog patch on it. It was on
>a long, long lead and out of control and I immediately realized it was
>no service dog. It turned out to be the "service dog" of the younger
>brother of a young artist. The kid was autaustic or something.We had a
>serious complaint from another artist who claimed to be violently
>allergic to dogs. We adopted a policy that we would admit only certified
>service dogs.
>
>Even that can be an issue because there are outfits online who sell
>certificates. There is always a sale on, so for $149.95 you can get the
>whole deal, the leash, harness, Service Dog patch, and a certificate
>that you can fill in for yourself.
>
>Apparently the province of British Columbia has passed a law dealing
>with service animals. They have to be trained for a specific task and
>then certified by the authourities. There is a hefty fine for trying to
>pass off a service animal as being certified if it is not. I heard
>recently that airlines have taken action to deny a lot of "service animals"

Dave can never handle when someone has an advantage or a benefit that
he doesn't have. It awakens the green-eyed monster in him.

--
Bruce (not Dave Smith)

Bryan Simmons 12-06-2021 12:27 AM

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?

A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
and they are suing us too. The complainant doesn't have a leg to stand
on as far as holding us liable, but the person is just throwing spaghetti
at every wall, hoping that someone won't show up in court. If dogs
ceased to exist, I wouldn't miss them.

> -sw

--Bryan

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 12-06-2021 12:29 AM

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?
>
> -sw

I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.

I see service dogs frequently as we are five miles from a training
center and they brings a dog to the store on occasion, always well
behaved.

Dave Smith[_41_] 12-06-2021 12:47 AM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>> stores too?
>>
>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>
>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>> Why?
>>

>A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
>and they are suing us too.

Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
their suing has caused you.

--
Bruce

Hank Rogers[_4_] 12-06-2021 12:48 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:11:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> It was happening here for a while but I haven't seen it much lately.
>> Maybe it is the pandemic and the whackos with phony service dogs have
>> locked themselves down.
>>
>> We had an incident at our art festival a couple years ago. I was working
>> the wine bar when I saw two young boys walking a dog. Actually, the dog
>> was walking them. It had a harness and Serve Dog patch on it. It was on
>> a long, long lead and out of control and I immediately realized it was
>> no service dog. It turned out to be the "service dog" of the younger
>> brother of a young artist. The kid was autaustic or something.We had a
>> serious complaint from another artist who claimed to be violently
>> allergic to dogs. We adopted a policy that we would admit only certified
>> service dogs.
>>
>> Even that can be an issue because there are outfits online who sell
>> certificates. There is always a sale on, so for $149.95 you can get the
>> whole deal, the leash, harness, Service Dog patch, and a certificate
>> that you can fill in for yourself.
>>
>> Apparently the province of British Columbia has passed a law dealing
>> with service animals. They have to be trained for a specific task and
>> then certified by the authourities. There is a hefty fine for trying to
>> pass off a service animal as being certified if it is not. I heard
>> recently that airlines have taken action to deny a lot of "service animals"

> Dave can never handle when someone has an advantage or a benefit that
> he doesn't have. It awakens the green-eyed monster in him.

Is that the only reason you vigorously sniff his ass?

Hank Rogers[_4_] 12-06-2021 12:49 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>>> stores too?
>>>
>>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>>
>>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>>> Why?
>>>

>> A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
>> and they are suing us too.

> Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
> their suing has caused you.

Maybe you can sniff his ass more gently.

[email protected][_2_] 12-06-2021 02:39 AM

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:29:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.

Same here, but no large dogs in grocery stores. I do see large dogs
on leashes and in carts at Home Depot and Lowe's, though.

Dave Smith[_39_] 12-06-2021 09:05 AM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

Dave Smith[_39_] 12-06-2021 09:05 AM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:47:49 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>>> stores too?
>>>
>>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>>
>>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>>> Why?
>>>

>>A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
>>and they are suing us too.

>Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
>their suing has caused you.

Bruce

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 12-06-2021 09:40 AM

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?

I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
hair?), but they still have a cat.

OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

Cindy Hamilton

Janet 12-06-2021 10:20 AM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

In article >, lid
says...

> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?
>
> -sw

Blimey; No! total ban here in UK. Service dogs are permitted but I
can't even remember the last time I saw one inside a shop selling food.

Petsmart (a chain selling everything to do with pets ) does permit
dogs, in fact, it actively encourages them and our dog loved going
there. His favourite aisle was the loose "bag your own biscuits",
guaranteed some customers would have dropped a good selection on the
floor and it was his duty to clean them up and keep the place tidy. Next
he liked to visit the rabbit and guinea pigs for sale; they live in
sizeable pens at floor level and he always hoped I'd buy him a rabbit.
At the till, the till person would give him a treat for bringing us.

Janet UK

Sqwertz[_53_] 12-06-2021 11:53 AM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:29:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>> stores too?
>>
>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>
>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>> Why?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.
>
> I see service dogs frequently as we are five miles from a training
> center and they brings a dog to the store on occasion, always well
> behaved.

Are they ever poodles, chihuahuas, or pugs? :-)

-sw

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 01:35 PM

On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
> garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
> the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
> it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
> hair?), but they still have a cat.
>
> OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
> the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
> likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car. There is
no pretense of the dog's service roll. I was in there one day and told
them I might take them up on that and take my dog into the store and
then see how quickly that sign would come down.

Gary 12-06-2021 01:38 PM

On 6/11/2021 9:39 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:29:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.
>>

> Same here, but no large dogs in grocery stores. I do see large dogs
> on leashes and in carts at Home Depot and Lowe's, though.

PetSmart welcomes all pets in their stores.

Michael Trew 12-06-2021 03:08 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?
>
> -sw

Never in eastern Ohio. Very, very rarely have I seen a very tiny dog in
a purse around Pittsburgh, but it's always quite. Service dogs are a
rare sight around here also. Some small/private stores will allow
friends/customers to bring a dog in, or have their own dog there, but
never a chain store, big-box store, or a grocery store.

jmcquown[_2_] 12-06-2021 03:20 PM

On 6/12/2021 8:38 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 6/11/2021 9:39 PM, wrote:
>> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:29:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.
>>>

>> Same here, but no large dogs in grocery stores.Â* I do see large dogs
>> on leashes and in carts at Home Depot and Lowe's, though.

> PetSmart welcomes all pets in their stores.

Yes, they do, although I sort of wonder about that. What happens if two
dogs encounter each other and don't happen to like each other? Of
course they have to be on leashes but if something happens who is
supposed to break up the fight?

I've never seen anyone take a dog into a *grocery* store.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 12-06-2021 03:25 PM

On 6/12/2021 8:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

>> I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store.Â* A
>> local...
>> garden supply, I guess, has a cat.Â* Since it used to be "Hertler's
>> Feed Store",
>> the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser.Â* Now
>> it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got
>> gray
>> hair?), but they still have a cat.
>>
>> OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
>> the sort to bring their purse dog.Â* Their appearance suggests they're
>> more
>> likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

> There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
> friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
> you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car.

Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

Jill

US Janet[_2_] 12-06-2021 03:30 PM

wrote:

>Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>stores too?
>
>Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>customers or dogs at any given time.
>
>Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>Why?
>
>-sw

I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.
Janet US

US Janet[_2_] 12-06-2021 03:34 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>> stores too?
>>
>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>
>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>> Why?

>I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
>garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
>the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
>it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
>hair?), but they still have a cat.
>
>OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
>the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
>likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Cats in a garden store are traditional/useful.
Janet US

US Janet[_2_] 12-06-2021 03:49 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:25:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/12/2021 8:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store.* A
>>> local...
>>> garden supply, I guess, has a cat.* Since it used to be "Hertler's
>>> Feed Store",
>>> the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser.* Now
>>> it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got
>>> gray
>>> hair?), but they still have a cat.
>>>
>>> OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
>>> the sort to bring their purse dog.* Their appearance suggests they're
>>> more
>>> likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

>> There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
>> friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
>> you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car.

>Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
>the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
> I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
>taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
>to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.
>
>Jill

I often see dogs tied up outside the grocery store waiting for their
human. They are always quiet and no one pays them any attention.
I am hopeful that this summer we don't have multiple deaths of
children left in cars. How could a person go on living knowing they
left their child to die like that?
Janet US

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 04:10 PM

On 2021-06-12 10:20 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 8:38 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On 6/11/2021 9:39 PM, wrote:

>> PetSmart welcomes all pets in their stores.
>>

> Yes, they do, although I sort of wonder about that.Â* What happens if two
> dogs encounter each other and don't happen to like each other?Â* Of
> course they have to be on leashes but if something happens who is
> supposed to break up the fight?

That is what I wads thinking when I was in the hardware store and said
that if I had brought my dog in they would probably have the dog
friendly sign torn down before I got out of there. That was my Malinois
rescue. He turned into a loving dog eventually and he enjoyed a lot of
time at the leash free dog park, but if he was on a leash he had zero
tolerance for any dog in sight.

> I've never seen anyone take a dog into a *grocery* store.

I once commented to someone about the two dogs a couple losers brought
into the store and their response was that they are service dogs. There
is no doubt that those people had some issues. One of them would be
their belief that those silly little foofoo mutts had some sort of
medical power.

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 04:19 PM

On 2021-06-12 10:25 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 8:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
> the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
> Â*I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
> taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
> to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

I have no issues with taking a dog in the car..... in appropriate
weather conditions. I would never leave my dog in a car with the
windows open all the way for fear they might escape, and I would not
leave them in a hot car with the windows, and not with the windows up
on a sunny summer day. I don't see a problem if it is in the 60s and a
window can be left part way open.

There have been cases around here where self righteous dicks have
freaked out and broken car windows to "rescue" dogs that were in no need
of rescue. In once case, it was about 65 degrees, the windows were open
half way and the owner was only in the store for 10 minutes.

In Toronto a few years back someone left a large dog in the car and was
checking on it regularly. Some twit came along and smashed the window
open and called animal control. The guy came out to his car and the
animal control officer slapped him in cuffs, cuffed him to his car and
then took off to take the dog to a vet, leaving the owner behind. The
the self righteous complainers beat him up. As it turned out, the dog
was fine. The animal control officer ended up in hot water. You can't
cuff someone and leave them.

jmcquown[_2_] 12-06-2021 04:24 PM

On 6/12/2021 10:49 AM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:25:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
>>> friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
>>> you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car.

>> Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
>> the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
>> I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
>> taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
>> to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.
>>
>> Jill

> I often see dogs tied up outside the grocery store waiting for their
> human. They are always quiet and no one pays them any attention.
> I am hopeful that this summer we don't have multiple deaths of
> children left in cars. How could a person go on living knowing they
> left their child to die like that?
> Janet US

The idea of leaving a child in a car is simply unfathonable to me.
Truly, I've been hearing PSA's on the radio [I'm paraphrasing but it's
pretty darn close] "Make sure you check the back seat when you get out
of the car and lock the doors."

How could anyone possibly *forget* they brought their child with them
when they went shopping? Strapped in a car seat and car doors locked.
WTH is wrong with these people?! The PSA says if you notice a child in
a car unattended and the doors are locked and you can't quickly locate
the parent use any means necessary *including* breaking a window on the
oppoosite side to get the child out and into fresh air. And of course
call 911. And start yelling your head off for help.

How sad is it that the world needs PSA reminders like this? Kind of sucks.

Jill

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 04:29 PM

On 2021-06-12 10:30 a.m., US Janet wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:31:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
>> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
>> stores too?
>>
>> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
>> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
>> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
>> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
>> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
>> customers or dogs at any given time.
>>
>> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
>> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
>> Why?
>>
>> -sw

> I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
> Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.

I have no problem with genuine service dogs or services dogs in
training. I do have issues with people taking their dogs into grocery
stores and restaurants when what they really need is a dolly or a teddy
bear. Here is how some of them get qualified. Note the usual special
deal. It is usually $250 but it is now (still) on special for $199. "You
get a vest with embroidered Service Dog Patches; (1) Personalized Wallet
card, (1) personalized metal collar tag and a booklet of information on
how to work with your dog in public."

https://www.servicedogscanada.org/certification/

or https://www.activedogs.com/page/213/...dog-vest-kits/

https://sitstay.com/collections/service-dog

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 04:33 PM

On 2021-06-12 10:49 a.m., US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:25:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
>> the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
>> I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
>> taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
>> to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.
>>
>> Jill

> I often see dogs tied up outside the grocery store waiting for their
> human. They are always quiet and no one pays them any attention.
> I am hopeful that this summer we don't have multiple deaths of
> children left in cars. How could a person go on living knowing they
> left their child to die like that?

I had a dog that I could leave outside a store. He was an amazing dog
who needed a new home because problems in his old home. He had been very
well trained. He was so good in the car you would forget he was there. I
could tell him to sit when I went into a store and he would sit right
there and not move. Someone told me once that someone might try to
steal him. Good luck. He would not go. My son and my niece both had
experiences where they tried to take him for a walk and he slipped out
of his collar and ran back home.

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-06-2021 04:56 PM

On 2021-06-12 11:24 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 10:49 AM, US Janet wrote:

> The idea of leaving a child in a car is simply unfathonable to me.
> Truly, I've been hearing PSA's on the radio [I'm paraphrasing but it's
> pretty darn close] "Make sure you check the back seat when you get out
> of the car and lock the doors."
>
> How could anyone possibly *forget* they brought their child with them
> when they went shopping?Â* Strapped in a car seat and car doors locked.
> WTH is wrong with these people?

It happened about 50 miles from here a few years ago. I guy was supposed
to take his kid to day care. He forgot the kid was in the car and went
to work and the poor kid died.

One thing that really got me in this case was the lenient treatment for
the father. He got an absolute discharge. It ****ed me off that there
is harsh treatment for cases with a better outcome. A person could get a
heft fine or jail time for leaving a child... or a pet, in a car, and
heavier penalty if medical care was needed. This is a matter of a
worst case scenario, and IMO the worse cases should always result in a
more serious penalty.

!Â* The PSA says if you notice a child in
> a car unattended and the doors are locked and you can't quickly locate
> the parent use any means necessary *including* breaking a window on the
> oppoosite side to get the child out and into fresh air.Â* And of course
> call 911.Â* And start yelling your head off for help.
>
> How sad is it that the world needs PSA reminders like this?Â* Kind of sucks.

It boggles the mind.

Hank Rogers[_4_] 12-06-2021 06:23 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:49:46 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons

>>> Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
>>> their suing has caused you.
>>>

>> Maybe you can sniff his ass more gently.
>>

> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

Sniff 'em, they're here master druce.

Hank Rogers[_4_] 12-06-2021 06:23 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:47:49 +1000, Dave Smith >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
>> > wrote:

>>> A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
>>> and they are suing us too.

>> Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
>> their suing has caused you.

> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

You can stop sniffing now.

GM 12-06-2021 06:43 PM

Hank Rogers wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:47:49 +1000, Dave Smith >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons

> >> Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
> >> their suing has caused you.

> > Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."
> >

> You can stop sniffing now.

She has the odor of DESPERATION about her, Hank...her "tactic" of using The Real Dave Smith's name has rendered her useless and MOOT...it's like she's playing ping - pong without a ball, lol...

--
GM

Dave Smith[_42_] 12-06-2021 07:51 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:29:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-12 10:30 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>>
>> I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
>> Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.

>I have no problem with genuine service dogs or services dogs in
>training.

Wow Dave, that's fantastic! No problem at all? You're not jealous that
they have 4 legs? FANTASTIC!

--
Bruce

Sheldon Martin[_4_] 12-06-2021 08:28 PM

Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:51:56 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:29:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-06-12 10:30 a.m., US Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
>>> Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.

>>I have no problem with genuine service dogs or services dogs in
>>training.

>Wow Dave, that's fantastic! No problem at all? You're not jealous that
>they have 4 legs? FANTASTIC!

I see seeing eye dogs at the markets in town all the time.

[email protected][_2_] 12-06-2021 09:09 PM

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 9:34:20 AM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:

> Cats in a garden store are traditional/useful.
> Janet US

There's a family owned, as old as dirt, hardware store with wooden floors,
about 6 blocks from me. They have cats that live there 24/7 and you'd
never know they are on the premises unless you see one sleeping in the
window.

The yellow cat, Oliver, loves in get into purses if you sit it down and it's
open.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9bxnd5/Cumberland-Hardware.jpg

GM 12-06-2021 09:13 PM

wrote:

> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 9:34:20 AM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
> >
> > Cats in a garden store are traditional/useful.
> > Janet US
> >

> There's a family owned, as old as dirt, hardware store with wooden floors,
> about 6 blocks from me. They have cats that live there 24/7 and you'd
> never know they are on the premises unless you see one sleeping in the
> window.
>
> The yellow cat, Oliver, loves in get into purses if you sit it down and it's
> open.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9bxnd5/Cumberland-Hardware.jpg

Oh, what great kitties...!!!

Thanks for posting...