Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:43:48 -0700 (PDT), GM
wrote:

Hank Rogers wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:47:49 +1000, Dave Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
wrote:

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
and they are suing us too.

Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
their suing has caused you.

You can stop sniffing now.

She has the odor of DESPERATION about her, Hank...her "tactic" of using The Real Dave Smith's name has rendered her useless and MOOT...it's like she's playing ping - pong without a ball, lol...

Bruce

Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 12:23:21 -0500, Hank Rogers
wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you can sniff his ass more gently.

Sniff 'em, they're here master druce.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:33:47 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-06-12 10:49 a.m., US Janet wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:25:16 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

Jill

I often see dogs tied up outside the grocery store waiting for their
human. They are always quiet and no one pays them any attention.
I am hopeful that this summer we don't have multiple deaths of
children left in cars. How could a person go on living knowing they
left their child to die like that?

I had a dog that I could leave outside a store. He was an amazing dog
who needed a new home because problems in his old home. He had been very
well trained. He was so good in the car you would forget he was there. I
could tell him to sit when I went into a store and he would sit right
there and not move. Someone told me once that someone might try to
steal him. Good luck. He would not go. My son and my niece both had
experiences where they tried to take him for a walk and he slipped out
of his collar and ran back home.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store.* A
local...
garden supply, I guess, has a cat.* Since it used to be "Hertler's
Feed Store",
the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser.* Now
it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got
gray
hair?), but they still have a cat.

OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
the sort to bring their purse dog.* Their appearance suggests they're
more
likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car.

Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

Jill

I often see dogs tied up outside the grocery store waiting for their
human. They are always quiet and no one pays them any attention.
I am hopeful that this summer we don't have multiple deaths of
children left in cars. How could a person go on living knowing they
left their child to die like that?
Janet US

The idea of leaving a child in a car is simply unfathonable to me.
Truly, I've been hearing PSA's on the radio [I'm paraphrasing but it's
pretty darn close] "Make sure you check the back seat when you get out
of the car and lock the doors."

How could anyone possibly *forget* they brought their child with them
when they went shopping? Strapped in a car seat and car doors locked.
WTH is wrong with these people?! The PSA says if you notice a child in
a car unattended and the doors are locked and you can't quickly locate
the parent use any means necessary *including* breaking a window on the
oppoosite side to get the child out and into fresh air. And of course
call 911. And start yelling your head off for help.

How sad is it that the world needs PSA reminders like this? Kind of sucks.

Jill

Bruce

Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:19:55 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-06-12 10:25 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 6/12/2021 8:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
*I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

I have no issues with taking a dog in the car..... in appropriate
weather conditions. I would never leave my dog in a car with the
windows open all the way for fear they might escape, and I would not
leave them in a hot car with the windows, and not with the windows up
on a sunny summer day. I don't see a problem if it is in the 60s and a
window can be left part way open.

There have been cases around here where self righteous dicks have
freaked out and broken car windows to "rescue" dogs that were in no need
of rescue. In once case, it was about 65 degrees, the windows were open
half way and the owner was only in the store for 10 minutes.

In Toronto a few years back someone left a large dog in the car and was
checking on it regularly. Some twit came along and smashed the window
open and called animal control. The guy came out to his car and the
animal control officer slapped him in cuffs, cuffed him to his car and
then took off to take the dog to a vet, leaving the owner behind. The
the self righteous complainers beat him up. As it turned out, the dog
was fine. The animal control officer ended up in hot water. You can't
cuff someone and leave them.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:56:17 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-06-12 11:24 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 6/12/2021 10:49 AM, US Janet wrote:

The idea of leaving a child in a car is simply unfathonable to me.
Truly, I've been hearing PSA's on the radio [I'm paraphrasing but it's
pretty darn close] "Make sure you check the back seat when you get out
of the car and lock the doors."

How could anyone possibly *forget* they brought their child with them
when they went shopping?* Strapped in a car seat and car doors locked.
WTH is wrong with these people?

It happened about 50 miles from here a few years ago. I guy was supposed
to take his kid to day care. He forgot the kid was in the car and went
to work and the poor kid died.

One thing that really got me in this case was the lenient treatment for
the father. He got an absolute discharge. It ****ed me off that there
is harsh treatment for cases with a better outcome. A person could get a
heft fine or jail time for leaving a child... or a pet, in a car, and
heavier penalty if medical care was needed. This is a matter of a
worst case scenario, and IMO the worse cases should always result in a
more serious penalty.

!* The PSA says if you notice a child in
a car unattended and the doors are locked and you can't quickly locate
the parent use any means necessary *including* breaking a window on the
oppoosite side to get the child out and into fresh air.* And of course
call 911.* And start yelling your head off for help.

How sad is it that the world needs PSA reminders like this?* Kind of sucks.

It boggles the mind.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:08:39 -0400, Michael Trew
wrote:

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

Never in eastern Ohio. Very, very rarely have I seen a very tiny dog in
a purse around Pittsburgh, but it's always quite. Service dogs are a
rare sight around here also. Some small/private stores will allow
friends/customers to bring a dog in, or have their own dog there, but
never a chain store, big-box store, or a grocery store.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 05:53:46 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:29:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.

I see service dogs frequently as we are five miles from a training
center and they brings a dog to the store on occasion, always well
behaved.

Are they ever poodles, chihuahuas, or pugs? :-)

-sw

Bruce

Old 12-06-2021, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:13:03 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9bxnd5/Cumberland-Hardware.jpg

Oh, what great kitties...!!!

Thanks for posting...

:-)

--
GM

They're very laid back and absolutely NO cat/litter box odor when
you go in the store.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:09:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 9:34:20 AM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:

Cats in a garden store are traditional/useful.
Janet US

There's a family owned, as old as dirt, hardware store with wooden floors,
about 6 blocks from me. They have cats that live there 24/7 and you'd
never know they are on the premises unless you see one sleeping in the
window.

The yellow cat, Oliver, loves in get into purses if you sit it down and it's
open.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9bxnd5/Cumberland-Hardware.jpg

good looking cats
Janet US
Old 12-06-2021, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9bxnd5/Cumberland-Hardware.jpg

good looking cats
Janet US

The yellow one is a rescue cat, I'm not sure about the gray tabby.
Oliver does have a fetish for open purses. )

https://i.postimg.cc/Hx1nyCnF/Oliver.jpg
Old 12-06-2021, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:39:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:29:38 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.

Same here, but no large dogs in grocery stores. I do see large dogs
on leashes and in carts at Home Depot and Lowe's, though.

Bruce
Old 12-06-2021, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:51:56 +1000, Dave Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:29:19 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-06-12 10:30 a.m., US Janet wrote:

I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.

I have no problem with genuine service dogs or services dogs in
training.

Wow Dave, that's fantastic! No problem at all? You're not jealous that
they have 4 legs? FANTASTIC!

Bruce