Old 12-06-2021, 09:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:47:49 +1000, Dave Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
wrote:

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

A former tenant is getting sued because a dog she had there bit a guy,
and they are suing us too.

Americans are being American? Maybe you can counter-sue for the stress
their suing has caused you.

Bruce

Old 12-06-2021, 09:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
hair?), but they still have a cat.

OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 12-06-2021, 10:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , lid
says...

Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

Blimey; No! total ban here in UK. Service dogs are permitted but I
can't even remember the last time I saw one inside a shop selling food.

Petsmart (a chain selling everything to do with pets ) does permit
dogs, in fact, it actively encourages them and our dog loved going
there. His favourite aisle was the loose "bag your own biscuits",
guaranteed some customers would have dropped a good selection on the
floor and it was his duty to clean them up and keep the place tidy. Next
he liked to visit the rabbit and guinea pigs for sale; they live in
sizeable pens at floor level and he always hoped I'd buy him a rabbit.
At the till, the till person would give him a treat for bringing us.

Janet UK
Old 12-06-2021, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:29:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

I'd not say common but have seen it on occasion. Usually a woman.

I see service dogs frequently as we are five miles from a training
center and they brings a dog to the store on occasion, always well
behaved.

Are they ever poodles, chihuahuas, or pugs? :-)

-sw
Old 12-06-2021, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
hair?), but they still have a cat.

OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car. There is
no pretense of the dog's service roll. I was in there one day and told
them I might take them up on that and take my dog into the store and
then see how quickly that sign would come down.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2021 6:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

Never in eastern Ohio. Very, very rarely have I seen a very tiny dog in
a purse around Pittsburgh, but it's always quite. Service dogs are a
rare sight around here also. Some small/private stores will allow
friends/customers to bring a dog in, or have their own dog there, but
never a chain store, big-box store, or a grocery store.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 8:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

Jill
Old 12-06-2021, 03:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:31:02 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
stores too?

Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
customers or dogs at any given time.

Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
Why?

-sw

I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets.......... Except occasionally in
Costco there will be a Service Dog in Training.
Janet US

Old 12-06-2021, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

Cats in a garden store are traditional/useful.
Janet US
Old 12-06-2021, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I often see dogs tied up outside the grocery store waiting for their
human. They are always quiet and no one pays them any attention.
I am hopeful that this summer we don't have multiple deaths of
children left in cars. How could a person go on living knowing they
left their child to die like that?
Janet US
Old 12-06-2021, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 10:25 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 6/12/2021 8:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

Of course you shouldn't leave a dog in the car, especially not if it's
the middle of summer and hot outside, even with the windows partly open.
*I know most dogs love to take a ride in the car but I'd never have
taken my dog (yes, I had one a long time ago - a little mutt who lived
to be 19 years old) with me when I was going shopping for anything.

I have no issues with taking a dog in the car..... in appropriate
weather conditions. I would never leave my dog in a car with the
windows open all the way for fear they might escape, and I would not
leave them in a hot car with the windows, and not with the windows up
on a sunny summer day. I don't see a problem if it is in the 60s and a
window can be left part way open.

There have been cases around here where self righteous dicks have
freaked out and broken car windows to "rescue" dogs that were in no need
of rescue. In once case, it was about 65 degrees, the windows were open
half way and the owner was only in the store for 10 minutes.

In Toronto a few years back someone left a large dog in the car and was
checking on it regularly. Some twit came along and smashed the window
open and called animal control. The guy came out to his car and the
animal control officer slapped him in cuffs, cuffed him to his car and
then took off to take the dog to a vet, leaving the owner behind. The
the self righteous complainers beat him up. As it turned out, the dog
was fine. The animal control officer ended up in hot water. You can't
cuff someone and leave them.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

The idea of leaving a child in a car is simply unfathonable to me.
Truly, I've been hearing PSA's on the radio [I'm paraphrasing but it's
pretty darn close] "Make sure you check the back seat when you get out
of the car and lock the doors."

How could anyone possibly *forget* they brought their child with them
when they went shopping? Strapped in a car seat and car doors locked.
WTH is wrong with these people?! The PSA says if you notice a child in
a car unattended and the doors are locked and you can't quickly locate
the parent use any means necessary *including* breaking a window on the
oppoosite side to get the child out and into fresh air. And of course
call 911. And start yelling your head off for help.

How sad is it that the world needs PSA reminders like this? Kind of sucks.

Jill