Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salvage grocery stores

One just opened up near us. What is your experience at such a place?
The also raise their own organic pork and beef that youcan put in an
order for. Intersting concept but might not be to advantagous for a
family of 2. Experiences and advice welcomed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> One just opened up near us. What is your experience at such a place?
> The also raise their own organic pork and beef that youcan put in an
> order for. Intersting concept but might not be to advantagous for a
> family of 2. Experiences and advice welcomed.

We buy a lot of canned and boxed goods at Big Lots for about half their
retail price, sometimes less. Basically they are overstock and salvage
goods. There's just the two of us but we save substantial money doing
this. Check their prices and their goods. I wouldn't buy dented cans as
the tinning can spall off when they're dented. Same with boxes or
packaging that has tears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in message
> One just opened up near us. What is your experience at such a place?
> The also raise their own organic pork and beef that youcan put in an
> order for. Intersting concept but might not be to advantagous for a
> family of 2. Experiences and advice welcomed.

Pam, I have no idea what a "salvage" grocery store is. More details would
be welcome.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
news
> pamjd wrote:
>> One just opened up near us. What is your experience at such a place?
>> The also raise their own organic pork and beef that youcan put in an
>> order for. Intersting concept but might not be to advantagous for a
>> family of 2. Experiences and advice welcomed.

> We buy a lot of canned and boxed goods at Big Lots for about half their
> retail price, sometimes less. Basically they are overstock and salvage
> goods. There's just the two of us but we save substantial money doing
> this. Check their prices and their goods. I wouldn't buy dented cans as
> the tinning can spall off when they're dented. Same with boxes or
> packaging that has tears.

Sounds nice. Our Big Lots is just jewelry, towels, cheap furniture,
wrapping paper. That kind of stuff.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> news
>> pamjd wrote:
>>> One just opened up near us. What is your experience at such a place?
>>> The also raise their own organic pork and beef that youcan put in an
>>> order for. Intersting concept but might not be to advantagous for a
>>> family of 2. Experiences and advice welcomed.

>> We buy a lot of canned and boxed goods at Big Lots for about half their
>> retail price, sometimes less. Basically they are overstock and salvage
>> goods. There's just the two of us but we save substantial money doing
>> this. Check their prices and their goods. I wouldn't buy dented cans as
>> the tinning can spall off when they're dented. Same with boxes or
>> packaging that has tears.

> Sounds nice. Our Big Lots is just jewelry, towels, cheap furniture,
> wrapping paper. That kind of stuff.
> Janet

Ours is smaller than most, is located in an area with lots of folks on
low income. It has either four or five aisles of nothing but food, one
aisle is dedicated to chips, cereals, and almost-ready-made items.
Others are canned and bottled goods including canned meats, stews, etc.
Pretty good prices for stocking up on hurricane supplies. I get a kick
out of the remaindered food stuff that has English on one side of the
label and either Arabic or Urdu on the other side. Some have one or more
Romance languages on the label. Pretty much it appears someone in a
country that speaks one of those languages ordered a bunch of food and
the manufacturer had an overrun that was sold to Big and Odd Lots.

I hit them at the end of the gardening season and pick up this years
seeds at ten packets for a dollar quite often. Those go in the plastic
container in the freezer for next years garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 10:24*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> Pam, I have no idea what a "salvage" grocery store is. *More details would
> be welcome.
>
> Jill

my god, you truly are an idiot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none of your business" wrote
"jmcquown" wrote:

>> Pam, I have no idea what a "salvage" grocery store is. More details would
>> be welcome.

> my god, you truly are an idiot.

No she isnt. The name is an unusual one for the type of store. 'Salvage
Store' in most of the south means Goodwill, Salvation Army and such. Those
places do not sell food. Hence, asking about how the groceries are at a
'salvage store' made no sense at all. Jill is a southerner (USA South).

The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.
Then it clicked. I have no idea if that is a common name for such elwhere,
only that it threw me and Jill in first hearing it that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> pamjd wrote:

snip
>>> We buy a lot of canned and boxed goods at Big Lots for about half their
>>> retail price,snip

>> Sounds nice. Our Big Lots is just jewelry, towels, cheap furniture,
>> wrapping paper. That kind of stuff.
>> Janet

snip

> I hit them at the end of the gardening season and pick up this years seeds
> at ten packets for a dollar quite often. Those go in the plastic container
> in the freezer for next years garden.

That's an excellent idea!!
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.
> Then it clicked. I have no idea if that is a common name for such
> elwhere, only that it threw me and Jill in first hearing it that way.

Same here. I don't care for Big Lots very much, but we often go to Ocean
State Job Lot. They have some hard to find items and at very good prices.
The hard goods are spotty, some good, some cheap crap, but if you know what
you are after, they have some really good buys.

As for the food, it is within the "use by" dates. Breads are brought in
fresh on a regular basis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk said...

> The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.
> Then it clicked. I have no idea if that is a common name for such
> elwhere, only that it threw me and Jill in first hearing it that way.

cshenk,

I assumed it just meant any wholesale club where you find 30-count hot dog
packs, gallon jars of mayo, 5 lb. cans of tuna and giant tubs of Twizzlers.
I've been suckered in on all counts in the beginning.

Great for restaurants or really big cookouts.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> cshenk said...
>
>> The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big
>> Lots'. Then it clicked. I have no idea if that is a common name for
>> such elwhere, only that it threw me and Jill in first hearing it
>> that way.

> cshenk,
>
> I assumed it just meant any wholesale club where you find 30-count
> hot dog packs, gallon jars of mayo, 5 lb. cans of tuna and giant tubs
> of Twizzlers. I've been suckered in on all counts in the beginning.
>
> Great for restaurants or really big cookouts.

Why would that be called salvage? Salvage is referring to stores
that sell stuff that is overstock or whatever. Salvage stores and
food auctions have been much in the news lately, but they are not
wholesale clubs at all.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Why would that be called salvage? Salvage is referring to stores
> that sell stuff that is overstock or whatever. Salvage stores and
> food auctions have been much in the news lately, but they are not
> wholesale clubs at all.

nancy,

OK, I did some quick reads about it. They sell the returned items. I found a
list by state. None nearby me.

I found a Big Lots a couple towns away but it's in a really run down, crime
ridden area.

Thanks for the fyi!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> cshenk said...
>
>> The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.
>> Then it clicked. I have no idea if that is a common name for such
>> elwhere, only that it threw me and Jill in first hearing it that way.

> cshenk,
>
> I assumed it just meant any wholesale club where you find 30-count hot dog
> packs, gallon jars of mayo, 5 lb. cans of tuna and giant tubs of
> Twizzlers.
> I've been suckered in on all counts in the beginning.
>
> Great for restaurants or really big cookouts.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

For this type of store, goods inside change weekly according to what has
been brought in from salvage, going out of business and overstock sales.
Our Big Lots puts out a flyer that is useless to me. It gets delivered on
Wednesday, but the new store goods are available beginning on Tuesday. Any
stuff that was a real deal is gone by Tuesday noon.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>
>> I assumed it just meant any wholesale club where you find 30-count
>> hot dog packs, gallon jars of mayo, 5 lb. cans of tuna and giant tubs
>> of Twizzlers. I've been suckered in on all counts in the beginning.
>>
>> Great for restaurants or really big cookouts.

> Why would that be called salvage? Salvage is referring to stores
> that sell stuff that is overstock or whatever. Salvage stores and
> food auctions have been much in the news lately, but they are not
> wholesale clubs at all.
>
> nancy

Why? You do realize whom you are replying to, don't you? If he had a brain
to work with, he'd take it out and play with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have a supermarket called Sav-Mor near my house that every other
Saturday runs a deal where you can get a whole box of food for seven
dollars. I've never shopped there but my brother shops there. I
think it's mostly canned foods and non-perishables like dry beans and
pasta and containers of spices and seasonings; you can't go in there
and load up a box with Ribeye Steaks. My brother came by my house
after shopping there with a box filled with about 100 little
containers of spices and seasonings; I didn't check them for
expiration dates, but it did seem like a pretty good deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote
> cshenk said...
>
>> The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.

> I assumed it just meant any wholesale club where you find 30-count hot dog
> packs, gallon jars of mayo, 5 lb. cans of tuna and giant tubs of
> Twizzlers.

Makes sense now to me, but at first, it just didnt 'click' Calling someone
'stupid' for not understanduing a regional term not local to them, just
didnt set well with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Andy" wrote
>> cshenk said...
>>
>>> The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.

>> I assumed it just meant any wholesale club where you find 30-count hot
>> dog
>> packs, gallon jars of mayo, 5 lb. cans of tuna and giant tubs of
>> Twizzlers.

> Makes sense now to me, but at first, it just didnt 'click' Calling
> someone 'stupid' for not understanduing a regional term not local to them,
> just didnt set well with me.

A "big box store" is any large retail store like Wal-mart, K-mart, Target,
etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-box_store

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 7:59*am, pamjd > wrote:
> One just opened up near us. *What is your experience at such a place?
> The also raise their own organic pork and beef that youcan put in an
> order for. *Intersting concept but might not be to advantagous for a
> family of 2. *Experiences and advice welcomed.

I've never seen one with fresh meat, and rarely with fresh produce or
even frozen stuff, but the shelf-stable goods are ok as long as you
check the dates.

Locally, we have Building #19 (building19.com) which buys from all
over the country and has periodic problems with weevils and moths in
the grains goods, but has an excellent return policy. They carry not
only food, but also books, oriental and regular rugs, clothing, tools,
kitchen goods (a fair number of those food saver appliances lately),
furniture and decor items.

My husband won't buy his bagels anywhere else, since they've made a
deal with some bakery and get them in fresh weekly. I've gotten flour
and wheat gluten there, which I immediatly pop into the freezer
whether I see critters or not), and have not had a problem.

If they only get stuff from the warehouse stores in the huge
containers, you won't find it helpful, but if they're doing the
salvage auctions from all over, you should at least check it out.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 17:24:27 GMT in rec.food.cooking, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote,
>In the Phoenix area we have BIg Lots and Smart & Final. There are also
>several chains of "dollar stores" that care food at very low prices.

Smart and Final is not by any stretch a salvage store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> For this type of store, goods inside change weekly according to what has
> been brought in from salvage, going out of business and overstock sales.

Trader Joes got their start doing close out work. They
were wonderful when they scoured the world looking for
end of product deals. They are still good but their
stock is more consistent than it was in those years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:33:37 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"none of your business" wrote
>"jmcquown" wrote:
>
>>> Pam, I have no idea what a "salvage" grocery store is. More details would
>>> be welcome.

>> my god, you truly are an idiot.

>No she isnt. The name is an unusual one for the type of store. 'Salvage
>Store' in most of the south means Goodwill, Salvation Army and such. Those
>places do not sell food. Hence, asking about how the groceries are at a
>'salvage store' made no sense at all. Jill is a southerner (USA South).
>
>The name threw me too until someone mentioned 'Big Box' and 'Big Lots'.
>Then it clicked. I have no idea if that is a common name for such elwhere,
>only that it threw me and Jill in first hearing it that way.

We used to have "real" salvage grocery stores, not as fancy or
consistent as the Big Lots genre. Shopping at one was a real
adventure. There would be boxes of canned goods with no label. You'd
see where they were located and hope for the best if you were brave
enough to take a chance. I liked the shelves of exotic condiments.
Sometimes you came up with pure gold. Most of the time, you just
rummaged.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.