Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quiche Again

This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.

https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-03 7:15 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg

That looks great. Nice crimping on the crust.

We had grilled strip loin steaks, air fries, steamed asparagus and green
salad with blue cheese dressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>
>Jill

It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
easy to make as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:20:36 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> >This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
> >
> >https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
> >
> >Jill

> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
> easy to make as well.

She's not a real man so she can eat quiche...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 7:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>
>> Jill

> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
> easy to make as well.

Gee, I've never eaten a Jell-O salad. Only seen photos in old cookbooks
and on sites like this:

https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

or, more specifically:

https://www.lileks.com/institute/gal...nox/index.html

Nope, never ate that stuff. I do have 1950's Jell-O molds hanging in my
kitchen, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 20:20:29 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>
>>Jill

>It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>easy to make as well.

I don't pay attention to those articles that tell me a certain food or
color or style of dress is pass
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:28:03 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/3/2021 7:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>> easy to make as well.
>>

>Gee, I've never eaten a Jell-O salad. Only seen photos in old cookbooks
>and on sites like this:
>
>https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/
>
>or, more specifically:
>
>https://www.lileks.com/institute/gal...nox/index.html
>
>Nope, never ate that stuff. I do have 1950's Jell-O molds hanging in my
>kitchen, though.
>
>Jill

I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 8:02 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:28:03 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/2021 7:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>>> easy to make as well.
>>>

>> Gee, I've never eaten a Jell-O salad. Only seen photos in old cookbooks
>> and on sites like this:
>>
>> https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/
>>
>> or, more specifically:
>>
>> https://www.lileks.com/institute/gal...nox/index.html
>>
>> Nope, never ate that stuff. I do have 1950's Jell-O molds hanging in my
>> kitchen, though.
>>
>> Jill

> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
> Janet US

I don't think Jell-O is a bad thing. I simply don't think about it very
often.

I have an old set of circa 1960's 'Southern Living' cookbooks. I picked
them up at a second-hand bookstore for 50 cents each. Gelatin cooking
is noted in a few of them. The most notable and disgusting sounding was
the recipe calling for stirring in canned tuna into lime Jell-O. <gack>

Point is, you can turn pretty much any good thing into something bad if
you try hard enough.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 8:00 PM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 20:20:29 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>> easy to make as well.

> I don't pay attention to those articles that tell me a certain food or
> color or style of dress is passé
> Janet US

I don't pay attention to articles or fashion at all. So what if the
food or style was 60's or 70's? If it tastes good, feels good, why not?
I also like fondue. Oh my.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-03 8:23 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/3/2021 8:02 PM, US Janet wrote:

> I don't think Jell-O is a bad thing.* I simply don't think about it very
> often.
>
> I have an old set of circa 1960's 'Southern Living' cookbooks.* I picked
> them up at a second-hand bookstore for 50 cents each.* Gelatin cooking
> is noted in a few of them.* The most notable and disgusting sounding was
> the recipe calling for stirring in canned tuna into lime Jell-O. <gack>
>
> Point is, you can turn pretty much any good thing into something bad if
> you try hard enough.

I used to like Jell-O once in a while. I even have somewhat fond
memories of those famous old Jell-0 salads. I haven't had any Jell-O
since I had my gall bladder problem. Thinking I had stomach flu I had
put myself on a clear fluid diet for 5 days, just tea, water, broth and
Jell-O. Then my wife made me go to the hospital where they diagnosed my
flu as a gall bladder attack and scheduled me for surgery... and put me
on a clear fluid diet... tea, broth and Jell-O, I had my surgery and
when I came to and was able to eat again..... clear fluids. Since my
gall bladder had been so infected and so big I ended up having to stay
for an extra two days. I have not had Jell-O since.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 7:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-04-03 7:15 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>

> That looks great. Nice crimping on the crust.

You know I didn't make that crust! LOL No apologies. I am not going to
waste my time attempting to make pie crust, BTDT, failed and gee, I can
buy two perfect ones frozen at the grocery store and not have to crimp
anything.

> We had grilled strip loin steaks, air fries, steamed asparagus and green
> salad with blue cheese dressing.

I like a nice grilled steak.

I have another frozen crust and plenty of eggs. If I pick up some
asparagus and gruyere or other Swiss cheese and shred it I could make a
nice asparagus quiche. Put the stalks in a pretty wheel-like pattern
and pour the custard over.

The thing about quiche is it works for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I
love Quiche Lorraine Oh dear, that one contains bacon (you could use
diced ham or proscuitto). Oh, then there is seafood quiche.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 7:02:38 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:28:03 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> >On 4/3/2021 7:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> >> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
> >> easy to make as well.
> >>

> >Gee, I've never eaten a Jell-O salad. Only seen photos in old cookbooks
> >and on sites like this:
> >
> >https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/
> >
> >or, more specifically:
> >
> >https://www.lileks.com/institute/gal...nox/index.html
> >
> >Nope, never ate that stuff. I do have 1950's Jell-O molds hanging in my
> >kitchen, though.
> >
> >Jill

> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
> Janet US

Was in hospital recently and had it a few nights in a row, first time in many years. Was okay, but have had my fill for awhiles... prefer to have fruit in my Jello, it's much better. Lemon - lime and black cherry are my faves...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:
> On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:20:36 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>> easy to make as well.

> She's not a real man so she can eat quiche...
>
> ;-)

She should invite Popeye over for the quiche.

Such a lovely couple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 9:04 PM, GM wrote:

>>> Jill

>> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
>> Janet US

> Was in hospital recently and had it a few nights in a row, first time in many years. Was okay, but have had my fill for awhiles... prefer to have fruit in my Jello, it's much better. Lemon - lime and black cherry are my faves...

Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
Grew up on those variations.

Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 8:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> You know I didn't make that crust! LOL* No apologies.* I am not going to
> waste my time attempting to make pie crust, BTDT, failed and gee, I can
> buy two perfect ones frozen at the grocery store and not have to crimp
> anything.

I've used the pre-made roll out crusts a couple of times but the frozen
are simple for quiche.

> I have another frozen crust and plenty of eggs.* If I pick up some
> asparagus and gruyere or other Swiss cheese and shred it I could make a
> nice asparagus quiche.* Put the stalks in a pretty wheel-like pattern
> and pour the custard over.

> The thing about quiche is it works for breakfast, lunch and dinner.* I
> love Quiche Lorraine* Oh dear, that one contains bacon (you could use
> diced ham or proscuitto).* Oh, then there is seafood quiche.
>
> Jill

Same here, in another week or so there will be one in the oven. Four
dinner serving or six lunch servings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:16:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>
> Jill

Pass that to me and you find something else to eat.

))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-03 8:59 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/3/2021 7:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> We had grilled strip loin steaks, air fries, steamed asparagus and
>> green salad with blue cheese dressing.

> I like a nice grilled steak.
>
> I have another frozen crust and plenty of eggs.* If I pick up some
> asparagus and gruyere or other Swiss cheese and shred it I could make a
> nice asparagus quiche.* Put the stalks in a pretty wheel-like pattern
> and pour the custard over.
>
> The thing about quiche is it works for breakfast, lunch and dinner.* I
> love Quiche Lorraine* Oh dear, that one contains bacon (you could use
> diced ham or proscuitto).* Oh, then there is seafood quiche.

The bacon should not be a problem. Given the shortening in the crust,
the cream and the cheese.... what's a little bacon. I think quiche is
out of bounds for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 21:35:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/3/2021 8:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> You know I didn't make that crust! LOL* No apologies.* I am not going to
>> waste my time attempting to make pie crust, BTDT, failed and gee, I can
>> buy two perfect ones frozen at the grocery store and not have to crimp
>> anything.

>I've used the pre-made roll out crusts a couple of times but the frozen
>are simple for quiche.
>

>> I have another frozen crust and plenty of eggs.* If I pick up some
>> asparagus and gruyere or other Swiss cheese and shred it I could make a
>> nice asparagus quiche.* Put the stalks in a pretty wheel-like pattern
>> and pour the custard over.

>> The thing about quiche is it works for breakfast, lunch and dinner.* I
>> love Quiche Lorraine* Oh dear, that one contains bacon (you could use
>> diced ham or proscuitto).* Oh, then there is seafood quiche.
>>
>> Jill

>Same here, in another week or so there will be one in the oven.

For a moment I thought you were second nesting.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-04-03 9:18 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
> Grew up on those variations.
>
> Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

I used to date a girl whose sister could not make Jell-O, She seemed to
have trouble with the idea of dissolving the powder in boiling hot water
and then adding cold water to cool it down to set.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>
> Jill

I agree and looks lovely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 8:40:53 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> The bacon should not be a problem. Given the shortening in the crust,
> the cream and the cheese.... what's a little bacon. I think quiche is
> out of bounds for me.

This past Christmas one of my niece's brought two quiches she had purchased
at one of the grocery store delis. They were outstanding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/3/2021 7:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2021-04-03 7:15 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > > This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
> > >
> > > https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
> > >

> > That looks great. Nice crimping on the crust.
> >

> You know I didn't make that crust! LOL No apologies. I am not going
> to waste my time attempting to make pie crust, BTDT, failed and gee,
> I can buy two perfect ones frozen at the grocery store and not have
> to crimp anything.
>
> > We had grilled strip loin steaks, air fries, steamed asparagus and
> > green salad with blue cheese dressing.

> I like a nice grilled steak.
>
> I have another frozen crust and plenty of eggs. If I pick up some
> asparagus and gruyere or other Swiss cheese and shred it I could make
> a nice asparagus quiche. Put the stalks in a pretty wheel-like
> pattern and pour the custard over.
>
> The thing about quiche is it works for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
> I love Quiche Lorraine Oh dear, that one contains bacon (you could
> use diced ham or proscuitto). Oh, then there is seafood quiche.
>
> Jill

I love the idea of a seafood quiche. I am with you on the crust
although the ones I get aren't pre-crimped and so pretty. More like in
a box and you unroll it then lay it in there and fill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 21:44:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-04-03 9:18 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
>> Grew up on those variations.
>>
>> Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

>I used to date a girl whose sister could not make Jell-O.

That would be a great first sentence of your autobiography.

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dr. Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 21:44:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2021-04-03 9:18 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>

>>> Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
>>> Grew up on those variations.
>>>
>>> Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

>> I used to date a girl whose sister could not make Jell-O.

> That would be a great first sentence of your autobiography.

<*SNIFF*>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 8:18:30 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
> >> Janet US

> > Was in hospital recently and had it a few nights in a row, first time in many years. Was okay, but have had my fill for awhiles... prefer to have fruit in my Jello, it's much better. Lemon - lime and black cherry are my faves...
> >

> Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
> Grew up on those variations.
>
> Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

I had the choice of regular or sugar - free, did not know there was a "diet" version, lol. Was on a "liquid" diet for a few days, the menu was consomme and Jello, I eschewed the broth for Jello, it was tasty at the time...and definitely a step up from the ice chips I was only allowed for four days....

Currently in rehab in a nursing home/facility (all is well, get out next week), and the food sucks BIG TIME! So I've been ordering food from Amazon Fresh (have a mini fridge in room, micro in the lounge around the corner) and also carryout. Now I know how/why nursing homes cheap out on food, prison food *has* to be better, lol...

Food in the hospital was decent, an a la carte menu and order all you want....still bland though.

OH, if you give nurses/staff nice CHOCOLATE they will do your every bidding, and enthusiastically!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 18:02:32 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
>Janet US

We've been on a Jell-O kick- even wackier, we are using sugar free,but
loaded with bananas and canned peaches or mixed berries. Black cherry
is the preferred Jell-O flavor.

It has been a low calorie treat in the evening for awhile- ice cream
would be nice, but this is healthier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 21:18:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
>>> Janet US

>> Was in hospital recently and had it a few nights in a row, first time in many years. Was okay, but have had my fill for awhiles... prefer to have fruit in my Jello, it's much better. Lemon - lime and black cherry are my faves...
>>

>Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
> Grew up on those variations.

Love it.

>Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

Ah,yes...There is tremendous technique involved, of course, the result
of so many years of honing my cooking skills.

I zap the water in a Pyrex cup and then use ice cubes in water to cool
it enough to add the fruit right away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 11:35 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 18:02:32 -0600, US Janet >
> wrote:
>

>> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
>> Janet US

> We've been on a Jell-O kick- even wackier, we are using sugar free,but
> loaded with bananas and canned peaches or mixed berries. Black cherry
> is the preferred Jell-O flavor.
>
> It has been a low calorie treat in the evening for awhile- ice cream
> would be nice, but this is healthier.

Jell-o is good with a scoop of ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 23:40:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/3/2021 11:35 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 18:02:32 -0600, US Janet >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
>>> Janet US

>> We've been on a Jell-O kick- even wackier, we are using sugar free,but
>> loaded with bananas and canned peaches or mixed berries. Black cherry
>> is the preferred Jell-O flavor.
>>
>> It has been a low calorie treat in the evening for awhile- ice cream
>> would be nice, but this is healthier.
>>

>Jell-o is good with a scoop of ice cream.

Ahhh, what isn't?

A spoon of half & half is also good with the
Jell-O!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 7:16:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg

That looks very good.

We had shrimp cocktail and a salad.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 7:15 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>
> Jill

Oh my, for a moment I thought you were talking about
one of your moist queefs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 16:26:17 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:20:36 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>> >This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>> >
>> >https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>> >
>> >Jill

>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>> easy to make as well.

>She's not a real man so she can eat quiche...
>
>;-)

Lol I had forgotten that sentiment!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 4/3/2021 7:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:15:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>> easy to make as well.
>>

>Gee, I've never eaten a Jell-O salad. Only seen photos in old cookbooks
>and on sites like this:
>
>https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/
>
>or, more specifically:
>
>https://www.lileks.com/institute/gal...nox/index.html
>
>Nope, never ate that stuff. I do have 1950's Jell-O molds hanging in my
>kitchen, though.
>
>Jill

We came to NA in 1967 and the first time I saw a cucumber jello salad
on a table (otherwise spread with nice things to eat) I remember David
and I giving each other deep looks across the table
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 20:59:00 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/3/2021 7:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-04-03 7:15 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>>

>> That looks great. Nice crimping on the crust.
>>

>You know I didn't make that crust! LOL No apologies. I am not going to
>waste my time attempting to make pie crust, BTDT, failed and gee, I can
>buy two perfect ones frozen at the grocery store and not have to crimp
>anything.
>
>> We had grilled strip loin steaks, air fries, steamed asparagus and green
>> salad with blue cheese dressing.

>I like a nice grilled steak.
>
>I have another frozen crust and plenty of eggs. If I pick up some
>asparagus and gruyere or other Swiss cheese and shred it I could make a
>nice asparagus quiche. Put the stalks in a pretty wheel-like pattern
>and pour the custard over.
>
>The thing about quiche is it works for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I
>love Quiche Lorraine Oh dear, that one contains bacon (you could use
>diced ham or proscuitto). Oh, then there is seafood quiche.
>
>Jill

You could try this - a bit more effort but very much worth it. A
recipe from an old Las Vegas friend I met on alt.recipes and his
personal advice at the end.

ASPARAGUS PIE

1 unbaked 10-inch pie shell
20 Fresh asparagus spears, cooked
1-1/2 Cup, cooked chicken, cubed (two breasts?)
4 slices cooked bacon
1/2 Cup Shredded Swiss cheese
4 eggs
1 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Cups light cream
2 TBSP Grated Parmesan Cheese to suit
Paprika

Arrange cooked asparagus in bottom of pie shell, spoke fashion. Top
with Chicken, Cook, drain, and crumble bacon. Scatter bacon and Swiss
cheese over asparagus and chicken.

Beat together eggs, flour, salt, and cream; pour over asparagus.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika

Bake in moderate oven at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until pie
filling is set (can embellish top with added asparagus). Let stand 10
minutes before cutting.

serves eight (??)

NOTES: If you dont use a large pie, you can use two 8-9 inch premade
shells. Increase the filling (eggs, cream, etc.) by more.

Also, I didnt think the 2 cups of light cream would be that rich. I
substituted 1 cup light cream, and 1 cup heavy cream. Came out very
rich and tasty. But, because I made it in two pie shells, I increased
the filling (eggs, cream, etc.) by one-half more. Came out perfect
(except the baking pan warped when it heated up, and I had some
over-runs (see picture)

Finally, Youre going to waste a lot of asparagus to get it right, as
youll have to cut each spear to about 3 or so to make a spoke on
the bottom of the pie. Also, dont cook the asparagus too much before
putting it in the pie. Just 2 mins or so, then blanch it. Theyll cook
more in the pie. Get large, sweet asparagus; too tiny, and theyll
overcook. Make asparagus soup out of the leftover asparagus!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> I like Jell-O. I jusst haven't had any in quite a while.
>>> Janet US

>> Was in hospital recently and had it a few nights in a row, first time in many years. Was okay, but have had my fill for awhiles... prefer to have fruit in my Jello, it's much better. Lemon - lime and black cherry are my faves...
>>

>Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
> Grew up on those variations.
>
>Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

Yes, used to make it with fruit for my kids when little but it was the
veggie jello salads that made us want to puke

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:18:00 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>> > Was in hospital recently and had it a few nights in a row, first time in many years. Was okay, but have had my fill for awhiles... prefer to have fruit in my Jello, it's much better. Lemon - lime and black cherry are my faves...
>> >

>> Any of the red flavors with bananas, canned peaches, or fruit cocktail.
>> Grew up on those variations.
>>
>> Making Jello was my first cooking experience as a kid.

>I had the choice of regular or sugar - free, did not know there was a "diet" version, lol. Was on a "liquid" diet for a few days, the menu was consomme and Jello, I eschewed the broth for Jello, it was tasty at the time...and definitely a step up from the ice chips I was only allowed for four days...
>
>Currently in rehab in a nursing home/facility (all is well, get out next week), and the food sucks BIG TIME! So I've been ordering food from Amazon Fresh (have a mini fridge in room, micro in the lounge around the corner) and also carryout. Now I know how/why nursing homes cheap out on food, prison food *has* to be better, lol...
>
>Food in the hospital was decent, an a la carte menu and order all you want...still bland though.
>
>OH, if you give nurses/staff nice CHOCOLATE they will do your every bidding, and enthusiastically!
>
>;-)

Hope you do get out okay, take care. I visit a friend with the
dreaded A in a nursing home and the food there is to die for
surprisingly. OTOH she is paying some $4,800 per month, so it should
be!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2021 7:46 AM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> [...]

> shells. Increase the filling (eggs, cream, etc.) by ½ more.
>
> Also, I didnt think the 2 cups of light cream would be that rich. I
> substituted 1 cup light cream, and 1 cup heavy cream. Came out very
> rich and tasty. But, because I made it in two pie shells, I increased
> the filling (eggs, cream, etc.) by one-half more. Came out perfect
> (except the baking pan warped when it heated up, and I had some
> over-runs (see picture)
>
> Finally, Youre going to waste a lot of asparagus to get it right, as
> youll have to cut each spear to about 3 or so to make a spoke on
> the bottom of the pie. Also, dont cook the asparagus too much before
> putting it in the pie. Just 2 mins or so, then blanch it. Theyll cook
> more in the pie. Get large, sweet asparagus; too tiny, and theyll
> overcook. Make asparagus soup out of the leftover asparagus!

Thanks! It sounds very good. (So does asparagus soup!)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2021 7:31 AM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:28:03 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/2021 7:20 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> It's so 70s though - so were those awful jello salads - and they were
>>> easy to make as well.
>>>

>> Gee, I've never eaten a Jell-O salad. Only seen photos in old cookbooks
>> and on sites like this:
>>
>> https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/
>>
>> or, more specifically:
>>
>> https://www.lileks.com/institute/gal...nox/index.html
>>
>> Nope, never ate that stuff. I do have 1950's Jell-O molds hanging in my
>> kitchen, though.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> We came to NA in 1967 and the first time I saw a cucumber jello salad
> on a table (otherwise spread with nice things to eat) I remember David
> and I giving each other deep looks across the table

Some of the photos I've seen look pretty horrific. I will still never
forget a recipe in an old 'Southern Living' cookbook that called for
adding canned tuna to lime Jell-O. Talk about gag-worthy!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2021 7:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-04-03 7:15 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>

> That looks great. Nice crimping on the crust.

It's a store made crust. Jill can't be bothered to make her own. She's a
half-ass cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2021 5:06 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 7:16:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> This is such a delightful and easy thing to prepare.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/YSpgtNpC/spinach.jpg
>>

> That looks very good.
>
> We had shrimp cocktail and a salad.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Did you use those cute little official cocktail forks?

Quiche notbob General Cooking 46 02-06-2016 06:26 PM
Quiche [email protected] General Cooking 110 10-09-2006 07:07 PM
Q. re quiche Bronwyn General Cooking 16 12-07-2006 08:12 PM