Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quiche

What the heck is quiche, and why isn't it a pizza? I'd much rather have
a pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I always hated quiche. Mom always made it with egg, I think thats
standard, and it was never tasty.
wrote:
> What the heck is quiche, and why isn't it a pizza? I'd much rather have
> a pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 22 Aug 2006 12:55:34a, meant to say...

> What the heck is quiche, and why isn't it a pizza? I'd much rather have
> a pizza.

Oh, the plight of the unenlightened! Poor you!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Oxymoron: Slow speed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> What the heck is quiche, and why isn't it a pizza? I'd much rather have
> a pizza.

It is a baked egg dish, very tasty. It is nothing like pizza, and very
easy to make. Quiche Lorraine tastes like a western omelet. I once
made a pizza quiche with hot Italian sausage that was great!

You get (or make) a pie crust, lay in the fillings (cheese and whatever)
then pour in the beaten eggs and bake. It is good hot or cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Tue 22 Aug 2006 12:55:34a, meant to say...
>

> > What the heck is quiche, and why isn't it a pizza? I'd much rather have
> > a pizza.
> >

> Oh, the plight of the unenlightened! Poor you!

Indeed...

Good quiche is ambrosia.

Pizza has it's place, but not in place of quiche!

I like to add Havarti with shrimp and mushrooms, and prefer to make it
crustless.

A good tomato and bacon quiche is rather good too with a bit of cheddar.

So many quiche's, so little time!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >

> > What the heck is quiche, and why isn't it a pizza? I'd much rather have
> > a pizza.
> >

> It is a baked egg dish, very tasty. It is nothing like pizza, and very
> easy to make. Quiche Lorraine tastes like a western omelet. I once
> made a pizza quiche with hot Italian sausage that was great!
>
> You get (or make) a pie crust, lay in the fillings (cheese and whatever)
> then pour in the beaten eggs and bake. It is good hot or cold.

I hope this thread takes off. :-)

Quiche's have a LOT of potential!
At least as many as pizza toppings. <lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> A good tomato and bacon quiche is rather good too with a bit of cheddar.

Ooh ooh! ...that sounds really good. I usually do bacon/mushroom.
How do you prep your tomatoes? You can't leave too much moisture in
your veggies or the quiche will weep. Do you use dried tomatoes?

One of my faves, and a great combo, is salmon/asparagus quiche. I use
dried/smoked salmon and pan fry my aspargus to reduce moisture.
Grilled veggies also work great for quiche.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:52:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Good quiche is ambrosia.

You're gonna have Wayne to answer to for that comment. Ambrosia is a
fruit salad. <EG>

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >
> > A good tomato and bacon quiche is rather good too with a bit of cheddar.

> Ooh ooh! ...that sounds really good. I usually do bacon/mushroom.
> How do you prep your tomatoes?

Blanch, peel, chop and drain. ;-)
I drink the leftover tomato juice with great pleasure...
It's not much trouble, really!

> You can't leave too much moisture in
> your veggies or the quiche will weep. Do you use dried tomatoes?

Nope! Roma.
Not much juice in those to drain out.

> One of my faves, and a great combo, is salmon/asparagus quiche. I use
> dried/smoked salmon and pan fry my aspargus to reduce moisture.
> Grilled veggies also work great for quiche.
>
> nb

Damn that sounds good, thanks!

"leftovers" quiche can always be interesting, but I rarely do that.
Quiche's are usually planned.

Carmelized onions are often a good addition depending on what you are
doing.

Sausage, carmelized onions, chili peppers in small amounts, perhaps some
Chorizo.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
tert in seattle > wrote:

> >I hope this thread takes off. :-)
> >
> >Quiche's have a LOT of potential!
> >At least as many as pizza toppings. <lol>

> quiche is great, but it's not in the same league as pizza

I disagree... It's in it's own league!

You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.
They are two totally different kinds of food and both have their own
merits.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.

But if you did ... you would have to say that quiche is a much more nutrient
dense food. Eggs are among the top five most nutritionally complete foods
for humans.

Note that I said "nutrient dense," not "healthy" or any other general term.
For anyone for whom saturated fat and cholesterol are problems, pizza is a
better choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > >Quiche's have a LOT of potential!
> > >At least as many as pizza toppings. <lol>

> > quiche is great, but it's not in the same league as pizza

> I disagree... It's in it's own league!

I agree with tert in seattle it is not in the same league as pizza.
I agree with you. It is in a league of its own.
I just can't figure out why you are disagreeing,

> You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.
> They are two totally different kinds of food and both have their own
> merits.

True. But, like pizza, you can take the basic crust and filling
ingredients and add different things. Hold the chicken. I have had
several different quiches with chicken and found them all disappointing.

The best quiche I ever had was more likely a Quiche Alsace, since it was
in Strasbourg in the Alsace region, next to Lorraine. It was very rich
and had ham and a used a cheese like Gruyere. The closest I had to a
genuine Quiche Lorraine was in the Lorraine region, but it was called
Tourte Lorraine. It was a small pie with about an inch of sausage meat
in the bottom and the cheesy custard on top. It was delicious. I was
stuffed by the time I finished it, and it was just the appetizer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.
> They are two totally different kinds of food and both have their own
> merits.

Actually, they have a lot in common. Both have a crust, include
cheese and veggies, and are baked.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> > You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.
> > They are two totally different kinds of food and both have their own
> > merits.

> Actually, they have a lot in common. Both have a crust, include
> cheese and veggies, and are baked.

So then an apple pie with cheese on top is like a pizza, because it is
made with a crust and baked?

Pizza is made with bread dough. It most often has a tomato sauce, but not
always. toppings are optional. Quiche is always made with a rich custard
filling.

In the area of France where quiche originated they have their own version
of pizza called an onion tart. It is a bread dough that has been spread
out like pizza and it is topped with cheese and lots of onion then bake
in a hot oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:52:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Good quiche is ambrosia.

> You're gonna have Wayne to answer to for that comment. Ambrosia is a
> fruit salad. <EG>
>
> Carol

Ambrosia is iced Earl Grays tea... ;-d
With Splenda.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> >
> > You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.

> But if you did ... you would have to say that quiche is a much more nutrient
> dense food. Eggs are among the top five most nutritionally complete foods
> for humans.

Yer preachin' to the choir kiddo. ;-)

> Note that I said "nutrient dense," not "healthy" or any other general term.
> For anyone for whom saturated fat and cholesterol are problems, pizza is a
> better choice.

Nope.
Not if you are an Atkinsophile!

Bread makes me deathly ill.
If I eat pizza, I'm sick for at least 2 days depending on how much I eat.

According to the stats I've read, 5% of the population is allergic to
wheat proteins. It's no wonder gastroenterologists are so rich.

Eggs are no longer the evil that was once preached.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I agree with tert in seattle it is not in the same league as pizza.
> I agree with you. It is in a league of its own.
> I just can't figure out why you are disagreeing,

Because I got the impression from that post that they were saying that
pizza was BETTER than quiche...

They are both equal, in their own way.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.
> > They are two totally different kinds of food and both have their own
> > merits.

> Actually, they have a lot in common. Both have a crust, include
> cheese and veggies, and are baked.
>
> nb

True, but I don't make quiche with a crust.
I'm allergic to wheat.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:07:08 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:52:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Good quiche is ambrosia.

>> You're gonna have Wayne to answer to for that comment. Ambrosia is a
>> fruit salad. <EG>

>Ambrosia is iced Earl Grays tea... ;-d
>With Splenda.

I'll just wait patiently for Wayne to get home from work and see this.
You know how he is about ambrosia.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >
> > > You really cannot compare quiche to pizza.
> > > They are two totally different kinds of food and both have their own
> > > merits.

> > Actually, they have a lot in common. Both have a crust, include
> > cheese and veggies, and are baked.
> >
> > nb

> True, but I don't make quiche with a crust.
> I'm allergic to wheat.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

Okay, from what I've understood from this group, a crustless quiche is more
like a frittata, is it not? I used to absolutely adore quiche, but
unfortunately, I can no longer eat eggs. I do, however, LOVE my pizza. My
husband doesn't eat pizza, but eats the heck out of eggs. Jack Sprat. :-/

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:07:08 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:52:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet

> >> You're gonna have Wayne to answer to for that comment. Ambrosia is a
> >> fruit salad. <EG>

> >Ambrosia is iced Earl Grays tea... ;-d
> >With Splenda.

> I'll just wait patiently for Wayne to get home from work and see this.
> You know how he is about ambrosia.
>
> Carol

Did you ever watch the Hercules series? ;-)

I'm going to bed now... be up in about 5 hours.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> > > Actually, they have a lot in common. Both have a crust, include
> > > cheese and veggies, and are baked.
> > >
> > > nb

> > True, but I don't make quiche with a crust.
> > I'm allergic to wheat.
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >

> Okay, from what I've understood from this group, a crustless quiche is more
> like a frittata, is it not? I used to absolutely adore quiche, but
> unfortunately, I can no longer eat eggs. I do, however, LOVE my pizza. My
> husband doesn't eat pizza, but eats the heck out of eggs. Jack Sprat. :-/
>
> kili

Hee!

Yeah, I guess a "crustless quiche" is pretty much a frittata... but I've
made psuedo-crusts out of sliced veggies. I need to make one and take a
pic but I rarely use my oven anymore.

Hmmmmmmmm........
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Did you ever watch the Hercules series? ;-)
>
> I'm going to bed now... be up in about 5 hours.

Damn!! That must be one seriously boring program.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-08-22, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > Did you ever watch the Hercules series? ;-)
> >
> > I'm going to bed now... be up in about 5 hours.

> Damn!! That must be one seriously boring program.
>
> nb

I work night shifts...

Mon. thru Fri. 10:30 pm to 07:00 am.

I need to sleep sometime...... ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:52:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:
>>

>>>Good quiche is ambrosia.

>>You're gonna have Wayne to answer to for that comment. Ambrosia is a
>>fruit salad. <EG>
>>
>>Carol

> Ambrosia is iced Earl Grays tea... ;-d
> With Splenda.

Ambrosia is the food of the gods, Nectar is the drink of the gods, so
the iced Earl Grey tea with Splenda will have to be Nectar. Unless it
is so iced, you have to eat it with a spoon and then the gods will
have to decide what it is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>> >I agree with tert in seattle it is not in the same league as pizza.
>> >I agree with you. It is in a league of its own.
>> >I just can't figure out why you are disagreeing,

>> here's my test -- can I eat pizza every day and still love it? yes
>>
>> could I eat quiche every day and still love it? no, well first of
>> all I don't love quiche, I just like it, and second, who would want
>> to eat quiche every day??

>Goodness...
>
>With the unbelievable number of ingredients that can be put into
>quiche....
>
>More variable than pizza by far IMHO.
>
>But I'd not want to eat EITHER of them every day for very long.
>
>But, I've been on a salad kick this week.
>That's just as, if not more, variable than either. ;-)
>
>Salads are like sandwiches, just without the bread.
>There are an endless combo.
>
>Come to think of it, quiche......
>
>Well, nevermind. ;-)

Okayyyyyyyy....

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but it seems like your sole
method of determining what league something's in is by selecting an
imaginary number that represents how many variations can be spun
out of the basic theme -- am I right? Let me just say that's not an
interesting way to look at food IMHO but whatever, nevermind. What
I want to know is, how can you say a salad is like a sandwich, just
without the bread? A salad is a bunch of foods thrown together.
A sandwich is far more structured than a salad. You probably would
categorize that as a limitation, but some of us appreciate the need
for a little order and structure in a chaotic world. Think about
this: there's no such thing as a Reuben salad, and there's a good
reason for that! Same goes for Reuben pizza -- bad idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > Note that I said "nutrient dense," not "healthy" or any other general term.
> > For anyone for whom saturated fat and cholesterol are problems, pizza is a
> > better choice.

> Nope.
> Not if you are an Atkinsophile!
>
> Bread makes me deathly ill.
> If I eat pizza, I'm sick for at least 2 days depending on how much I eat.

I have some minor food allergies, mostly to things I like. When tested I had
positive result to hops, malt, yeast, tomato, potato, cheese, pork and a few
others. I can handle each in small doses. Pizza is bad because it hits a number
of my allergies all at once. Worse than that, the best beverage to have with pizza
is beer, which hits three allergies. No wonder I used to get sick after eating
pizza and beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:11:00 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>here's my test -- can I eat pizza every day and still love it? yes
>
>could I eat quiche every day and still love it? no, well first of
>all I don't love quiche, I just like it, and second, who would want
>to eat quiche every day??

I couldn't eat either everyday, but I can eat oatmeal every day. So
oatmeal is better than pizza or quiche? I think we're talking
personal taste here. <G>

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-22, cybercat > wrote:

> Okay, I was being too general. It tastes more like a western omelet than,
> say, a hamburger.

Oooh... good comeback! I'll have to remember that one, "the other
extreme gambit"!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
.. .

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> > > Actually, they have a lot in common. Both have a crust, include
> > > cheese and veggies, and are baked.
> > >
> > > nb

> > True, but I don't make quiche with a crust.
> > I'm allergic to wheat.
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >

> Okay, from what I've understood from this group, a crustless quiche is

more
> like a frittata, is it not? I used to absolutely adore quiche, but
> unfortunately, I can no longer eat eggs. I do, however, LOVE my pizza.

My
> husband doesn't eat pizza, but eats the heck out of eggs. Jack Sprat.

:-/

> kili

==============
If you can't eat eggs, maybe you could try it using Egg Beaters. I wonder
if that work.
-----------------

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:38:26 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Did you ever watch the Hercules series? ;-)

Nope.

>I'm going to bed now... be up in about 5 hours.

Sweet dreams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2006-08-22, cybercat > wrote:
>
> > Okay, I was being too general. It tastes more like a western omelet

than,
> > say, a hamburger.

> Oooh... good comeback! I'll have to remember that one, "the other
> extreme gambit"!

You like, " I ****ed up," better?

My quiche lorraine tastes like quiche lorraine! Eggs, lots of swiss,
and ham. But I do make one with green peppers, onions, ham and
cheddar.

Quiche notbob General Cooking 46 02-06-2016 06:26 PM
TAB quiche Paul M. Cook General Cooking 10 01-12-2013 11:30 PM
Q. re quiche Bronwyn General Cooking 16 12-07-2006 08:12 PM