Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default please help identify this food

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

it looks like bacon that was made from rubber

wtf?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:00:04 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
> wtf?

It looks like Butterball brand turkey bacon. The sausage is probably some kind of fake meatless sausage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

tert in seattle wrote:

> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
> wtf?

Looks like something a "trailor trash" - type peep might imbibe, tert...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:41:40 -0800 (PST), GM
> wrote:

>tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>>
>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>
>> wtf?

>Looks like something a "trailor trash" - type peep might imbibe, tert...

I guess a trailor's a trashy sailor, like Sheldon?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 6:59 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
> wtf?

I can tell you exactly what it is. It's pre-cooked bacon, right? Love
bacon, don't want to deal with the grease. I bought some pre-cooked
bacon and nuked it to put on a cheeseburger.

It doesn't taste bad, it just looks weird. It's okay in a pinch but
don't expect it to be like you just cooked fatty bacon in a skillet. Or
even on a broiler rack in the oven. It is what it is.

The good news is it's pre-cooked bacon it doesn't require refrigeration.
Perfect for the emergency supply situation. Can't offer a comment
about the sausages on the plate. They do look like they were fresh
(from raw) sausage links. I'd have browned them a bit more. I much
prefer links to sausage patties.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 23:59:49 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
>it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
>wtf?

It looks like what you'd get if you asked for bacon and sausage
anywhere BUT the US.

Known here as back bacon or Canadian bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-27 10:41 p.m., Jes Me wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 23:59:49 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>>
>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>
>> wtf?

> It looks like what you'd get if you asked for bacon and sausage
> anywhere BUT the US.
>
> Known here as back bacon or Canadian bacon.

Where is "here"? Mars? That does not look at all like back bacon. Not
at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
> wtf?

Looks like soy bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/27/2019 6:59 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>>
>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>
>> wtf?
>>

> I can tell you exactly what it is. It's pre-cooked bacon, right? Love
> bacon, don't want to deal with the grease. I bought some pre-cooked bacon
> and nuked it to put on a cheeseburger.
>
> It doesn't taste bad, it just looks weird. It's okay in a pinch but don't
> expect it to be like you just cooked fatty bacon in a skillet. Or even on
> a broiler rack in the oven. It is what it is.
>
> The good news is it's pre-cooked bacon it doesn't require refrigeration.
> Perfect for the emergency supply situation. Can't offer a comment
> about the sausages on the plate. They do look like they were fresh (from
> raw) sausage links. I'd have browned them a bit more. I much prefer
> links to sausage patties.

I only buy pre-cooked now. Hormel from Costco. It is sold refrigerated but I
store it in the freezer. Mine never looks like that. That's soy bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 23:59:49 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
>it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
>wtf?

Turkey bacon and possibly turkey sausage

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> The good news is it's pre-cooked bacon it doesn't require refrigeration.

after opening it should be kept refridgerated.

> Perfect for the emergency supply situation. Can't offer a comment
> about the sausages on the plate. They do look like they were fresh
> (from raw) sausage links. I'd have browned them a bit more. I much
> prefer links to sausage patties.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
> wtf?

Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.

That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:54:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
> >
> > http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
> >
> > it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
> >
> > wtf?

> Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
> a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
> tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
> stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>
> That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

The shape is kind of a dead giveaway - unless they're making real bacon by extruding it through a press.

https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah...nShrinkage.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>tert in seattle wrote:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>
>> wtf?

>Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
>a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
>tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
>stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>
>That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

I ate one piece and couldn't tell what it was. Didn't taste as bad as
I thought it would. But it was not bacon. I suppose it could have been
turkey or soy but I have no idea. The texture is kind of weird.

Yeah the "sausage" was a maple flavored meat product of some sort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>tert in seattle wrote:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>
>> wtf?

>Looks like something a "trailor trash" - type peep might imbibe, tert...

ha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:54:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
> >
> > http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
> >
> > it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
> >
> > wtf?

> Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
> a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
> tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
> stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>
> That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

The shape is kind of a dead giveaway - unless they're making real bacon by
extruding it through a press.

https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah...nShrinkage.jpg

===

Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
thing!! Same as everything for me really.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
> thing!! Same as everything for me really.

They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips. I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLb02woHns
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:26:05 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:54:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>> >
>> > it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>> >
>> > wtf?

>> Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
>> a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
>> tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
>> stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>>
>> That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

>The shape is kind of a dead giveaway - unless they're making real bacon by
>extruding it through a press.
>
>https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah...nShrinkage.jpg
>
>===
>
>Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
>thing!! Same as everything for me really.

I hope Gary doesn't read this. He'll call you a snob.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:45:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
>> thing!! Same as everything for me really.

>They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips.

But would "chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips"
work well in a commercial?

> I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

I hope you're not putting down food for the common people. Gary no
like that! Besides, you'd love to have some around when that famine
hits!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 11:08:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:45:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
> >> thing!! Same as everything for me really.

> >They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips.

> But would "chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips"
> work well in a commercial?
>
> > I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

> I hope you're not putting down food for the common people. Gary no
> like that! Besides, you'd love to have some around when that famine
> hits!

Looks like your hope is a valid one. I've had turkey bacon. It's mostly a highly engineered designer food. In the future most foods will be of this nature. You cannot compare it to bacon because it's not. As we all know, I'm not fooled by surface appearances. Rather, it is a meat jerky of some sort that would be great when travelling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 08:08:05 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:45:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
>>> thing!! Same as everything for me really.

>>They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips.

>But would "chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance strips"
>work well in a commercial?

I already said that I think it is turkey bacon, because it has visible
fat on it but it looks exactly like the turkey bacon I see in the
store all the time

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 6:22 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
>> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
>>> thing!! Same as everything for me really.

>> They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to
>> just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike
>> substance strips. I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLb02woHns

> I hate youtube

I have to wonder why so many times dsi1 posts youtube videos rather than
answering a simple question.

Here's a question: was it soy bacon, turkey bacon, pre-cooked bacon?
What was on that plate?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>>
>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>
>> wtf?

> Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
> a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
> tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
> stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>
> That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

Hormel does not look like that. I use it all the time!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 8:02 AM, songbird wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> The good news is it's pre-cooked bacon it doesn't require refrigeration.

> after opening it should be kept refridgerated.

There are only about 4 slices of bacon per vacuum sealed (Boars Head)
precooked bacon. No leftovers to refrigerate. It's not difficult
for me to eat or use 4 slices of bacon.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6:00:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>
> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>
> wtf?

Soylent Green! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>tert in seattle wrote:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

>>> it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>>>
>>> wtf?

>>Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
>>a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
>>tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
>>stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>>
>>That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

> I ate one piece and couldn't tell what it was. Didn't taste as bad as
> I thought it would. But it was not bacon. I suppose it could have been
> turkey or soy but I have no idea. The texture is kind of weird.
>
> Yeah the "sausage" was a maple flavored meat product of some sort.

Soy bacon actually tastes like bacon but it is very crisp. If you don't like
crisp bacon, you won't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 2:15:41 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/28/2019 6:22 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> > writes:

> >> They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to
> >> just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike
> >> substance strips. I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLb02woHns

> > I hate youtube
> >

> I have to wonder why so many times dsi1 posts youtube videos rather than
> answering a simple question.
>
> Here's a question: was it soy bacon, turkey bacon, pre-cooked bacon?
> What was on that plate?
>
> Jill

Jill you ignorant slut, I already answered that question in the first response to the OP. As we all know, I'm rarely wrong so you can pretty much rely on my response being the right one. Better luck next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 2:15:41 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLb02woHns

>> > I hate youtube
>> >

>> I have to wonder why so many times dsi1 posts youtube videos rather than
>> answering a simple question.
>>
>> Here's a question: was it soy bacon, turkey bacon, pre-cooked bacon?
>> What was on that plate?
>>
>> Jill

> Jill you ignorant slut, I already answered that question in the first
> response to the OP. As we all know, I'm rarely wrong so you can pretty
> much rely on my response being the right one. Better luck next time.

Hehehe. Good one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
> thing!! Same as everything for me really.

They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to
just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike substance
strips. I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLb02woHns

==

lol well she might but she is very particular these days) I love it.
Given her beginnings I just love that she feels secure enough to turn down
something she doesn't want ))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:54:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg
>> >
>> > it looks like bacon that was made from rubber
>> >
>> > wtf?

>> Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
>> a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
>> tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
>> stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>>
>> That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

>The shape is kind of a dead giveaway - unless they're making real bacon by
>extruding it through a press.
>
>https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah...nShrinkage.jpg
>
>===
>
>Ugh! I don't often cook bacon but when I do I want it to be the real
>thing!! Same as everything for me really.

I hope Gary doesn't read this. He'll call you a snob.

==

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 6:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> There are only about 4 slices of bacon per vacuum sealed (Boars Head)
> precooked bacon.Â* No leftovers to refrigerate.

Howzabout that "plastic" waste?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>> They shouldn't sell that stuff as any kind of bacon. It's much better to
>>> just call it what it is - chopped and formed turkey semi-meatlike
>>> substance strips. I'll bet a nickel that your dog would love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLb02woHns

>> I hate youtube
>>

>I have to wonder why so many times dsi1 posts youtube videos rather than
>answering a simple question.
>
>Here's a question: was it soy bacon, turkey bacon, pre-cooked bacon?
>What was on that plate?
>
>Jill

I don't know - the results aren't back from the lab yet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>>>tert in seattle wrote:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

>>>Definitely cooked and shelf stable real bacon (Like Jill said) or
>>>a vegetarian bacon (like Julie called soy bacon). I've seen and
>>>tasted bacon like that. Either real bacon from a Hormel shelf
>>>stable box or Morning Star veggie bacon looks about the same.
>>>
>>>That on the plate looked like it hadn't been heated up yet.

>> I ate one piece and couldn't tell what it was. Didn't taste as bad as
>> I thought it would. But it was not bacon. I suppose it could have been
>> turkey or soy but I have no idea. The texture is kind of weird.
>>
>> Yeah the "sausage" was a maple flavored meat product of some sort.

>Soy bacon actually tastes like bacon but it is very crisp. If you don't like
>crisp bacon, you won't like it.

this was flaccid "bacon"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

>>> I ate one piece and couldn't tell what it was. Didn't taste as bad as
>>> I thought it would. But it was not bacon. I suppose it could have been
>>> turkey or soy but I have no idea. The texture is kind of weird.
>>>
>>> Yeah the "sausage" was a maple flavored meat product of some sort.

>>Soy bacon actually tastes like bacon but it is very crisp. If you don't
>>like
>>crisp bacon, you won't like it.

> this was flaccid "bacon"

Ew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 10:10:06 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

> this was flaccid "bacon"

I have had turkey bacon. It's not bad - as long as you don't expect it to be anything like turkey or bacon. It reminds me of meat-like material meant for emergency use similar to Spam. As a matter of fact, you can make something similar to turkey bacon by cutting Spam into thin slices and frying it up until crispy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

> >> I ate one piece and couldn't tell what it was. Didn't taste as bad as
> >> I thought it would. But it was not bacon. I suppose it could have been
> >> turkey or soy but I have no idea. The texture is kind of weird.
> >>
> >> Yeah the "sausage" was a maple flavored meat product of some sort.

> >Soy bacon actually tastes like bacon but it is very crisp. If you don't like
> >crisp bacon, you won't like it.

> this was flaccid "bacon"

This morning we had some "Spam bacon" and eggs with fried rice. The Spam was cut with a large vegetable peeler and fried crisp.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...UMmLvO2wwvgvOn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/WTFood.jpg

> >> I ate one piece and couldn't tell what it was. Didn't taste as bad as
> >> I thought it would. But it was not bacon. I suppose it could have been
> >> turkey or soy but I have no idea. The texture is kind of weird.
> >>
> >> Yeah the "sausage" was a maple flavored meat product of some sort.

> >Soy bacon actually tastes like bacon but it is very crisp. If you don't
> >like
> >crisp bacon, you won't like it.

> this was flaccid "bacon"

This morning we had some "Spam bacon" and eggs with fried rice. The Spam was
cut with a large vegetable peeler and fried crisp.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...UMmLvO2wwvgvOn

==

Whoa D. would love that) I just showed him the pic and I foresee that
for next Sunday's breakfast he will ask for that)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> This morning we had some "Spam bacon" and eggs with fried rice. The Spam was cut with a large vegetable peeler and fried crisp.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...UMmLvO2wwvgvOn

Your "Spam bacon" isn't anywhere near bacon. It's just
thin-sliced and fried spam. To call it bacon is a crime against
humanity, I tell you!

Anyway, your plate looked good. How was that rice flavored?