Old 14-01-2019, 07:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Caraway Rye

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

Old 14-01-2019, 09:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

You couldn't eat bread with milk in it last year. Or can you only
eat bread containing milk in months ending in 'Y' and 'L'?

-sw
Old 14-01-2019, 09:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

You couldn't eat bread with milk in it last year. Or can you only
eat bread containing milk in months ending in 'Y' and 'L'?

I no longer have a dairy intolerance. My GP wanted me to avoid dairy for a
problem that I won't get into here. Dairy was not a problem. I am back to
eating it. This bread does not contain milk. I did sub in the butter. If I
needed for whatever reason to avoid dairy, I would sub another oil.

Old 14-01-2019, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 10:53:04 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

There are short periods of time where I can eat dairy products with impunity. I cannot say how that happens. It makes me feel invincible like a superhero.
Old 14-01-2019, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

Old 14-01-2019, 09:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isnt always an even
swap in terms of the amount used.

Old 14-01-2019, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this
recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it
on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I

think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isnt always an
even
swap in terms of the amount used.

An equal volume of butter would typically only have about 80% of the fat
with another 17% or so being water. That could make a pretty substantial
difference in the end product.

--
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never
sure." - Segal's Law
Old 14-01-2019, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

You can't even buy rye bread here.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isnít always an even
swap in terms of the amount used.

absolutely true
Old 15-01-2019, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 4:39:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:

You can't even buy rye bread here.

Your Kroger should stock it.

Old 15-01-2019, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?
Old 15-01-2019, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it
on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

I recently got some of the copper chef bread pans, they are really nice and
only 8 bucks apiece with free shipping.

Cheri

Old 16-01-2019, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this
recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it
on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time

think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isn?Tt always an
even
swap in terms of the amount used.

An equal volume of butter would typically only have about 80% of the fat
with another 17% or so being water. That could make a pretty substantial
difference in the end product.

Thanks!

Old 16-01-2019, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.198...
On Mon 14 Jan 2019 10:42:10a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

wrote:

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this
recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
baking. The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad
once I put it on the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for
round pans (not even sure that I have them) so used the sheet pans
that I got from Costco. Next time I think I will make 4 smaller
loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches but otherwise it's
great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

The recipe sonds good.

It's very good!

Caraway soup biig General Cooking 3 03-10-2005 01:25 PM
Baby Potatoes with Caraway Carrot Filling T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2005 03:44 AM
caraway or cumin Wazza Asian Cooking 21 15-04-2005 11:30 AM
Noodles With Kielbasa, Cabbage And Caraway Seeds 7Hawks Recipes 0 16-11-2004 02:43 PM
Caraway seed substitue Doe John General Cooking 19 30-03-2004 01:33 AM