Doe John

Default Caraway seed substitue

Hi:

Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
proportion?

Thx
zxcvbob

Doe John wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
> proportion?
>
> Thx

I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better leaving
it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a goulash?

-bob
zxcvbob

Doe John wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
> proportion?
>
> Thx

I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better leaving
it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a goulash?

-bob
jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
> Doe John wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>> proportion?
>>
>> Thx

> I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
> leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
> goulash?
>
> -bob

Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
seeds?

Jill

jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
> Doe John wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>> proportion?
>>
>> Thx

> I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
> leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
> goulash?
>
> -bob

Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
seeds?

Jill

Doe John

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:24:23 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>> Doe John wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>>> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>>> proportion?
>>>
>>> Thx

>> I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
>> leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
>> goulash?
>>
>> -bob

>Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
>bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
>seeds?
>
>Jill

The recipe calls for a pinch of caraway, and I am making a half recipe
anyway. So I am going with fennel seed...found a site that said either
fennel or cumin could be substituted. 10-12 fennel seeds. Thx for the
very quick responses

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._16688,00.html
Doe John

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:24:23 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>> Doe John wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>>> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>>> proportion?
>>>
>>> Thx

>> I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
>> leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
>> goulash?
>>
>> -bob

>Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
>bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
>seeds?
>
>Jill

The recipe calls for a pinch of caraway, and I am making a half recipe
anyway. So I am going with fennel seed...found a site that said either
fennel or cumin could be substituted. 10-12 fennel seeds. Thx for the
very quick responses

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._16688,00.html
PENMART01

>Doe John gringo@gringosays:

>The recipe calls for a pinch of caraway, and I am making a half recipe
>anyway. So I am going with fennel seed...found a site that said either
>fennel or cumin could be substituted. 10-12 fennel seeds.

I wouldn't... no way fennel or cumin make a substitute... were I desperate for
a few caraway seeds I'd buy a seeded rye... otherwise leave the steenkin' seeds
out altogether, then make a trip to your local package store for a bottle of
Kummel for sippin' with the stew.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Doe John gringo@gringosays:

>The recipe calls for a pinch of caraway, and I am making a half recipe
>anyway. So I am going with fennel seed...found a site that said either
>fennel or cumin could be substituted. 10-12 fennel seeds.

I wouldn't... no way fennel or cumin make a substitute... were I desperate for
a few caraway seeds I'd buy a seeded rye... otherwise leave the steenkin' seeds
out altogether, then make a trip to your local package store for a bottle of
Kummel for sippin' with the stew.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>Doe John wrote:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>>>the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>>>proportion?
>>>
>>>Thx

>>I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
>>leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
>>goulash?
>>
>>-bob

> Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
> bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
> seeds?
>
> Jill

No, not the same at all. I just wondered if it would be good. (I think
cumin would be awful.)

-bob

zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>Doe John wrote:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>>>the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>>>proportion?
>>>
>>>Thx

>>I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
>>leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
>>goulash?
>>
>>-bob

> Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
> bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
> seeds?
>
> Jill

No, not the same at all. I just wondered if it would be good. (I think
cumin would be awful.)

-bob
Julia Altshuler

Doe John wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
> proportion?

Whole carraway and cumin seeds LOOK a little alike in shape and size.
The flavors don't resemble each other at all. Dill, at least, is a
relative of carraway though I don't see much similarity in flavor there
either. If I couldn't find carraway seeds, I'd leave them out and
forget about a substitute. Goulash is a nice flavorful dish anyway.
The lack of carraway won't break it.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Doe John wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
> proportion?

Whole carraway and cumin seeds LOOK a little alike in shape and size.
The flavors don't resemble each other at all. Dill, at least, is a
relative of carraway though I don't see much similarity in flavor there
either. If I couldn't find carraway seeds, I'd leave them out and
forget about a substitute. Goulash is a nice flavorful dish anyway.
The lack of carraway won't break it.

--Lia

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >>I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
> >>leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
> >>goulash?
> >>
> >>-bob

> > Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
> > bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
> > seeds?
> >
> > Jill

> No, not the same at all. I just wondered if it would be good. (I think
> cumin would be awful.)
>
> -bob

Anise. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >>I don't think there is a substitute for caraway. You'd be better
> >>leaving it out than trying to substitute. Would dill seed be OK in a
> >>goulash?
> >>
> >>-bob

> > Wouldn't net the same taste at all. I wonder if the OP could go to the
> > bakery department at the grocery store and ask them if they have caraway
> > seeds?
> >
> > Jill

> No, not the same at all. I just wondered if it would be good. (I think
> cumin would be awful.)
>
> -bob

Anise. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Arri London

Doe John wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
> proportion?
>
> Thx

Just leave it out. Cumin and caraway don't taste remotely alike.
Try a whole/health food shop for caraway.
Arri London

Doe John wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
> proportion?
>
> Thx

Just leave it out. Cumin and caraway don't taste remotely alike.
Try a whole/health food shop for caraway.
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:51:40 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> Doe John wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>> proportion?
>>
>> Thx

> Just leave it out. Cumin and caraway don't taste remotely alike.
> Try a whole/health food shop for caraway.

Right, don't even *think* cumin.

You could use a *small* amount of fennel seeds. It's not dissimilar and
goes well with goulash anyway. Otherwise, leave it out.
--
Tim C.
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:51:40 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> Doe John wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>> the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>> proportion?
>>
>> Thx

> Just leave it out. Cumin and caraway don't taste remotely alike.
> Try a whole/health food shop for caraway.

Right, don't even *think* cumin.

You could use a *small* amount of fennel seeds. It's not dissimilar and
goes well with goulash anyway. Otherwise, leave it out.
--
Tim C.
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>Plan on making goulash and need caraway seed, but couldn't find it in
>the grocery stores. What is an acceptable substitute? Cumin? In what
>proportion?

Stop in a bagel shop and ask, or send me a stamped envelope. I'll send
you a fistfull for free.

I have about 40 pounds of the seeds I use in my rye bagels.

Dave
Beach Bum Bagels
4580 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32563

Substitue for Wine? Pringles CheezUms General Cooking 89 26-10-2016 11:35 PM
Caraway soup biig General Cooking 3 03-10-2005 01:25 PM
caraway or cumin Wazza Asian Cooking 21 15-04-2005 11:30 AM
Rice Wine Vinegar Substitue Daisy General Cooking 25 18-04-2004 04:10 AM
cream of chicken soup substitue ben General Cooking 6 10-03-2004 05:34 PM