Wazza

Default caraway or cumin

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote
in message ...
> When use one or the other ?
>
> Philippe

these two should not be confused, though often are because they look very
similar, but their flavour is very different.
Cumin is the spice used in most cuisines, typically Asian, but also Mexican.
Caraway is typically only a European spice, but may have 'crept' into N.
African, like Morocco.
Never use caraway in Asian cooking, it is always cumin. Sometimes caraway is
confused with black cumin (also called Royal cumin, or Shah jeera). Caraway
is not used in Indian cooking. Caraway is used in bread in central Europe,
and supposed to be in cheese in Holland, though I have only found the cumin
variety. In North Africa, it is said to be a component of harrisa, a hot
condiment, but I wonder if this is even correct. To me, caraway does not
marry with other spices. Its flavour is similar to mint, the main flavour
component is (+)carvone, an optical isomer of (-) carvone, found in some
mints. Sometimes, caraway in bread gives the bread a minty flavour.
HTH
cheers
Wazza

Wazza

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote
in message ...
> Wazza wrote:
> > "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" >

> wrote
> > in message ...
> >> When use one or the other ?
> >>
> >> Philippe
> >>

> > these two should not be confused, though often are because they look

> very
> > similar, but their flavour is very different.
> > Cumin is the spice used in most cuisines, typically Asian, but also

> Mexican.
> > Caraway is typically only a European spice, but may have 'crept' into N.
> > African, like Morocco.
> > Never use caraway in Asian cooking, it is always cumin. Sometimes

> caraway is
> > confused with black cumin (also called Royal cumin, or Shah jeera).

> Caraway
> > is not used in Indian cooking. Caraway is used in bread in central

> Europe,
> > and supposed to be in cheese in Holland, though I have only found the

> cumin
> > variety. In North Africa, it is said to be a component of harrisa, a hot
> > condiment, but I wonder if this is even correct. To me, caraway does not
> > marry with other spices. Its flavour is similar to mint, the main

> flavour
> > component is (+)carvone, an optical isomer of (-) carvone, found in some
> > mints. Sometimes, caraway in bread gives the bread a minty flavour.
> > HTH
> > cheers
> > Wazza

> Thanks for the explanation !
>
> The problem is that, in French, both are cumins...

then you would need to understand the context in which they are used. North
of Africa, west of the Middle East, it is probably caraway, in Asia and
Mexico it will be cumin, N Africa it could and probably is both.
cheers
Wazza

DC.

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote
in message ...
<snip>
> I meant : by reading the bag, you cannot be sure of what you buy...
>
> Philippe

Try here philippe, http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/ they look
the same but maybe some of the information might help.

DC.

James Silverton

DC. wrote:
> "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
> >
> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> I meant : by reading the bag, you cannot be sure of what you
>> buy...
>>
>> Philippe

> Try here philippe,
> http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/ they
> look the same but maybe some of the information might help.
>
> DC.

And just to complicate things, there are recipes mostly
mediterranean that use both cumin and caraway!

For example:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sp...n/tunisia.html

La Tunisia Chicken & Grilled Onions.

I never realised how involved the subject was (tho' Katzer
does!)

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Wazza

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> DC. wrote:
> > "Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)"
> > >
> > wrote in message
> > <snip>
> >> I meant : by reading the bag, you cannot be sure of what you
> >> buy...
> >>
> >> Philippe

> > Try here philippe,
> > http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/ they
> > look the same but maybe some of the information might help.
> >
> > DC.

> And just to complicate things, there are recipes mostly
> mediterranean that use both cumin and caraway!
>
> For example:
> http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sp...n/tunisia.html
>
> La Tunisia Chicken & Grilled Onions.
>
> I never realised how involved the subject was (tho' Katzer
> does!)

yep, Jim, Katzer and I have exchanged e-mails over cumin (we agreed that
caraway was not to be found in Indian cooking)

To tell the difference between cumin and caraway is not easy for the
uninitiated, but caraway usually has more pronounced stripes down the edge
of the fruit (commonly called the seed). I find the taste of caraway
objectionable, though liked it in bread in Prague, when I first thought it
was mint!

There are several spices that are difficult to differentiate, for the
unwary, like bay leaves (you call them laurel) and cinnamon leaves (tej
patta), or cinnamon and cassia (most of the so-called cinnamon sold in the
US is infact cassia!). Caraway is often confused with black cumin, nigella
with onion seeds, carom with lovage seeds, and so on. It isn't easy, but it
is possible.
Salute, Philippe
Wazza

Ken Berry

Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:
> Wazza wrote:
>
>>"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" >

> wrote
>
>>in message ...
>>
>>>When use one or the other ?
>>>
>>>Philippe
>>>

>>these two should not be confused, though often are because they look

> very
>
>>similar, but their flavour is very different.
>>Cumin is the spice used in most cuisines, typically Asian, but also

> Mexican.
>
>>Caraway is typically only a European spice, but may have 'crept' into N.
>>African, like Morocco.
>>Never use caraway in Asian cooking, it is always cumin. Sometimes

> caraway is
>
>>confused with black cumin (also called Royal cumin, or Shah jeera).

> Caraway
>
>>is not used in Indian cooking. Caraway is used in bread in central

> Europe,
>
>>and supposed to be in cheese in Holland, though I have only found the

> cumin
>
>>variety. In North Africa, it is said to be a component of harrisa, a hot
>>condiment, but I wonder if this is even correct. To me, caraway does not
>>marry with other spices. Its flavour is similar to mint, the main

> flavour
>
>>component is (+)carvone, an optical isomer of (-) carvone, found in some
>>mints. Sometimes, caraway in bread gives the bread a minty flavour.
>>HTH
>>cheers
>>Wazza

> Thanks for the explanation !
>
> The problem is that, in French, both are cumins...
>
> Philippe

With respect, in French "cumin" is the exactly the same word as in
English, but "carraway" is "carvi" (deriving from a very similar arabic
word which is something like "karwia" when transliterated).

--
Ken Berry
DC.

"Wazza" > wrote in message
<snip>
> To tell the difference between cumin and caraway is not easy for the
> uninitiated, but caraway usually has more pronounced stripes down the edge
> of the fruit (commonly called the seed). I find the taste of caraway
> objectionable, though liked it in bread in Prague, when I first thought it
> was mint!

Just to throw another seed into the conversation/confusion, I have some
fennel seeds which look very similar to cumin or caraway seeds but the taste
is more like aniseed.

DC.

DC.

"Wazza" > wrote in message
<snip>
> To tell the difference between cumin and caraway is not easy for the
> uninitiated, but caraway usually has more pronounced stripes down the edge
> of the fruit (commonly called the seed). I find the taste of caraway
> objectionable, though liked it in bread in Prague, when I first thought it
> was mint!

Just to throw another seed into the conversation/confusion, I have some
fennel seeds which look very similar to cumin or caraway seeds but the taste
is more like aniseed.

DC.

James Silverton

DC. wrote:
> "Wazza" > wrote in
> message
> <snip>
>> To tell the difference between cumin and caraway is not easy
>> for the
>> uninitiated, but caraway usually has more pronounced stripes
>> down
>> the edge of the fruit (commonly called the seed). I find the
>> taste
>> of caraway objectionable, though liked it in bread in Prague,
>> when I
>> first thought it was mint!

> Just to throw another seed into the conversation/confusion, I
> have
> some fennel seeds which look very similar to cumin or caraway
> seeds
> but the taste is more like aniseed.

That's quite true! Unlike Wazza, I like the taste of all three
but I could not tell the seeds (or fruits or whatever) apart by
eye. The odors are quite distinctive of course.

Jim.

Ken Berry

Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:
> Ken Berry wrote:
>
>>Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) wrote:

>>>wrote

>>>very

>>>Mexican.

> N.

>>>caraway is

>>>Caraway

>>>Europe,

>>>cumin

> hot

> not

>>>flavour

> some

>>>Thanks for the explanation !
>>>
>>>The problem is that, in French, both are cumins...
>>>
>>>Philippe
>>>

>>With respect, in French "cumin" is the exactly the same word as in
>>English, but "carraway" is "carvi" (deriving from a very similar arabic
>>word which is something like "karwia" when transliterated).

> Not so simple...
>
> Cumin is cumin BUT
> Carvi is also called "Cumin des prés"
>
> Philippe

Thanks Philippe. I see -- from French sources -- that 'carvi' has the
Latin name 'Carum carvi L.' whereas 'cumin des prés' is 'Cuminum
cyminum' -- two totally different things (source:
http://www.hippocratus.com/pages/det....asp?ID=***001 ) I do
however note that you are correct in that the two terms are used
interchangeably e.g http://www.biam2.org/www/Sub2028.html
http://www.herbdatanz.com/aromathera...l_oils_-_2.htm ;
though why this is so remains a mystery -- possibly for similar reasons
that turmeric in French is 'safran des Indes' (or curcuma) to
distinguish it from real saffron??

--
Ken Berry
Tel/Fax: (61 2) 6258 0032

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies),

>Thanks for the explanation !
>
>The problem is that, in French, both are cumins...

No. Caraway is correctly called "Carvi" in french

Cumin (or cumin) is "cumin" in French

However, you're right that especially in Alsace, by confusion between
kuemmel and kreuzkuemmel, there is considerable confusion.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Wazza

"DC." > wrote in message
> "Wazza" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > To tell the difference between cumin and caraway is not easy for the
> > uninitiated, but caraway usually has more pronounced stripes down the

edge
> > of the fruit (commonly called the seed). I find the taste of caraway
> > objectionable, though liked it in bread in Prague, when I first thought

it
> > was mint!

> Just to throw another seed into the conversation/confusion, I have some
> fennel seeds which look very similar to cumin or caraway seeds but the

taste
> is more like aniseed.

yes, DC, fennel and aniseed are often confused, especially in Indian
cookboks. Fennel seed (fruit) is harvested when not quite dried, and has a
green/yellow colour. Because it contains more water than other dried seeds,
it is prone to mildew, for this reason it is often sold roasted. As far as I
am aware, Indians do not use aniseed, it is always fennel.
It is possible to distinguish all these, and more, (e.g. celery seed and
radhuni), even from pictures in books. As far as I can remember, no-one has
it completely right, but Madhur Jaffrey comes closest, IMHO. The problems
come, not from ignorance or mistranslation (mistransliteration?) but in
finding a suitable English word; so channa dhal, a type of yellow pulse, has
been translated into the nearest English equivalent, which is chickpea, but
channa is not the chickpea known in the West/Middle East (as an ingredient
in hummus, for eg) so chickpea flour is not made from chickpeas, its made
from channa. Confusing? If we use the term 'besan flour' we should all know
what we are talking about.
Its because of the confusion I tend to label spices and other ingredients by
their Hindi names. The problem here is that there are several other
languages, not to mention sub-languages in India alone to make the task a
lengthy one, especially as I have over a hundred jars to label!
We will get there in the end (but will we know?)
cheers
Wazza

DC.

"Wazza" > wrote in message
<snip>
> yes, DC, fennel and aniseed are often confused, especially in Indian
> cookboks. Fennel seed (fruit) is harvested when not quite dried, and has a
> green/yellow colour. Because it contains more water than other dried

seeds,
> it is prone to mildew, for this reason it is often sold roasted.

Strange, the bag of fennel seeds i have which if i'm not mistaken came from
Southall isn't roasted. It looks to be (sun) dried like regular cumin seeds.

> As far as I
> am aware, Indians do not use aniseed, it is always fennel.
> It is possible to distinguish all these, and more, (e.g. celery seed and
> radhuni), even from pictures in books. As far as I can remember, no-one

has
> it completely right, but Madhur Jaffrey comes closest, IMHO. The problems
> come, not from ignorance or mistranslation (mistransliteration?) but in
> finding a suitable English word;

Same goes for certain Chinese/SE Asian spices... remember San Ny?? LOL. I've
been told the best place to find dried San Ny in the UK is through Chinese
herbalists if you're still interested.

<snip>
> ...especially as I have over a hundred jars to label!

sometimes i find it useful to keep the original packets or containers, so
you know where it comes from or what's its local name is.

DC.

DC.

"Wazza" > wrote in message
<snip>
> yes, DC, fennel and aniseed are often confused, especially in Indian
> cookboks. Fennel seed (fruit) is harvested when not quite dried, and has a
> green/yellow colour. Because it contains more water than other dried

seeds,
> it is prone to mildew, for this reason it is often sold roasted.

Strange, the bag of fennel seeds i have which if i'm not mistaken came from
Southall isn't roasted. It looks to be (sun) dried like regular cumin seeds.

> As far as I
> am aware, Indians do not use aniseed, it is always fennel.
> It is possible to distinguish all these, and more, (e.g. celery seed and
> radhuni), even from pictures in books. As far as I can remember, no-one

has
> it completely right, but Madhur Jaffrey comes closest, IMHO. The problems
> come, not from ignorance or mistranslation (mistransliteration?) but in
> finding a suitable English word;

Same goes for certain Chinese/SE Asian spices... remember San Ny?? LOL. I've
been told the best place to find dried San Ny in the UK is through Chinese
herbalists if you're still interested.

<snip>
> ...especially as I have over a hundred jars to label!

sometimes i find it useful to keep the original packets or containers, so
you know where it comes from or what's its local name is.

DC.

sanne

Wazza wrote:

> > The problem is that, in French, both are cumins...
> >

> then you would need to understand the context in which they are used.

> North of Africa, west of the Middle East, it is probably caraway,

Well - Why don't you just call it by its name: Europe ... ;^D

> in Asia and Mexico it will be cumin,

Several kinds of, yes ...

> N Africa it could and probably is both.

Well - not in my Mother-in-law's cuisine, she's from Algeria,
her mother was from Maroc, and she never uses caraway.

Bye, sanne.

Wazza

"DC." > wrote in message
> "Wazza" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > yes, DC, fennel and aniseed are often confused, especially in Indian
> > cookboks. Fennel seed (fruit) is harvested when not quite dried, and has

> > green/yellow colour. Because it contains more water than other dried

> seeds,
> > it is prone to mildew, for this reason it is often sold roasted.

> Strange, the bag of fennel seeds i have which if i'm not mistaken came

from
> Southall isn't roasted. It looks to be (sun) dried like regular cumin

seeds.

> > As far as I
> > am aware, Indians do not use aniseed, it is always fennel.
> > It is possible to distinguish all these, and more, (e.g. celery seed and
> > radhuni), even from pictures in books. As far as I can remember, no-one

> has
> > it completely right, but Madhur Jaffrey comes closest, IMHO. The

problems
> > come, not from ignorance or mistranslation (mistransliteration?) but in
> > finding a suitable English word;

> Same goes for certain Chinese/SE Asian spices... remember San Ny?? LOL.

I've
> been told the best place to find dried San Ny in the UK is through Chinese
> herbalists if you're still interested.
>
> <snip>
> > ...especially as I have over a hundred jars to label!

> sometimes i find it useful to keep the original packets or containers, so
> you know where it comes from or what's its local name is.
>
> DC.

I had thought of going to a herbalist for the san ny, but I can't remember
where one is around here.
On the subject of original packaging, its not always helpful, the
manufactures/packagers/supplies get it wrong just as many times. I have a
packet of leaves from India that says 'Bay leaf' on it, they are clearly
cinnamom leaves. I have had similar experiences with most of the spices I've
already mentioned. Cassia especially. In Hindi it is Dal chini, meaning
'wood from China', you would think they would know?
cheers
Wazza
thanks for the help on san ny, DC; number 1 son didn't find it in China, now
he's en route for Everest base camp having narrowly missed becoming a
Bhuddist priest!

Wazza

"DC." > wrote in message
> "Wazza" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > yes, DC, fennel and aniseed are often confused, especially in Indian
> > cookboks. Fennel seed (fruit) is harvested when not quite dried, and has

> > green/yellow colour. Because it contains more water than other dried

> seeds,
> > it is prone to mildew, for this reason it is often sold roasted.

> Strange, the bag of fennel seeds i have which if i'm not mistaken came

from
> Southall isn't roasted. It looks to be (sun) dried like regular cumin

seeds.

> > As far as I
> > am aware, Indians do not use aniseed, it is always fennel.
> > It is possible to distinguish all these, and more, (e.g. celery seed and
> > radhuni), even from pictures in books. As far as I can remember, no-one

> has
> > it completely right, but Madhur Jaffrey comes closest, IMHO. The

problems
> > come, not from ignorance or mistranslation (mistransliteration?) but in
> > finding a suitable English word;

> Same goes for certain Chinese/SE Asian spices... remember San Ny?? LOL.

I've
> been told the best place to find dried San Ny in the UK is through Chinese
> herbalists if you're still interested.
>
> <snip>
> > ...especially as I have over a hundred jars to label!

> sometimes i find it useful to keep the original packets or containers, so
> you know where it comes from or what's its local name is.
>
> DC.

I had thought of going to a herbalist for the san ny, but I can't remember
where one is around here.
On the subject of original packaging, its not always helpful, the
manufactures/packagers/supplies get it wrong just as many times. I have a
packet of leaves from India that says 'Bay leaf' on it, they are clearly
cinnamom leaves. I have had similar experiences with most of the spices I've
already mentioned. Cassia especially. In Hindi it is Dal chini, meaning
'wood from China', you would think they would know?
cheers
Wazza
thanks for the help on san ny, DC; number 1 son didn't find it in China, now
he's en route for Everest base camp having narrowly missed becoming a
Bhuddist priest!

Wazza

"sanne" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wazza wrote:
>
> > > The problem is that, in French, both are cumins...
> > >

> > then you would need to understand the context in which they are used.

> > North of Africa, west of the Middle East, it is probably caraway,

> Well - Why don't you just call it by its name: Europe ... ;^D
>
> > in Asia and Mexico it will be cumin,

> Several kinds of, yes ...
>
> > N Africa it could and probably is both.

> Well - not in my Mother-in-law's cuisine, she's from Algeria,
> her mother was from Maroc, and she never uses caraway.

there ya go, just when we thought we had sorted it, out comes a
contra-indicator!
Now, is caraway used in N. Africa, or are N. Africans getting confused.

thanks for your input, Sanne. How sure are you of these revelations?
(Personally, I'd like you to be correct ;?)
cheers
Wazza

DC.

"Wazza" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I had thought of going to a herbalist for the san ny, but I can't remember
> where one is around here.

Try Chinatown in London.

> On the subject of original packaging, its not always helpful, the
> manufactures/packagers/supplies get it wrong just as many times. I have a
> packet of leaves from India that says 'Bay leaf' on it, they are clearly
> cinnamom leaves. I have had similar experiences with most of the spices

I've
> already mentioned. Cassia especially. In Hindi it is Dal chini, meaning
> 'wood from China', you would think they would know?

Where' s your sense of humour ; )

> thanks for the help on san ny, DC; number 1 son didn't find it in China,

now
> he's en route for Everest base camp having narrowly missed becoming a
> Bhuddist priest!

I'll be in HK & Southern China in June, can you wait that long?

DC.

Peter Dy

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:01:54 +0200, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> oldies\)" > wrote:
>
>>When use one or the other ?

> Caraway goes with things that go with dill, I think of it as a
> European spice.

Though dill is popular in Vietnam and they don't use caraway.

Peter

> Cumin goes with things that go with hot peppers I think of it as a
> hot zone spice, Africa, Latin America, Southern Asia.

sanne

Hi Wazza!

> > Well - not in my Mother-in-law's cuisine, she's from Algeria,
> > her mother was from Maroc, and she never uses caraway.
> >

> there ya go, just when we thought we had sorted it, out comes a
> contra-indicator!
> Now, is caraway used in N. Africa, or are N. Africans getting

confused.

> thanks for your input, Sanne. How sure are you of these revelations?
> (Personally, I'd like you to be correct ;?)

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure - I hadn't known that Harissa does contain caraway
sometimes, but there are recipes around. The Harissa a friend brought
from Maroc doesn't contain caraway. My nose is "Sentinel"-like ;-) -
and normally, I don't like caraway.

I do like caraway with "Bayrisch Kraut" (cooked coleslaw with
a little onion, sugar and little vinegar, salt and pepper)
and with "Zwiebelkuchen" (Onion-cake, "goes" well with very
young wine ["Sauser" or "Federweisser"]).
I can't stand it with fried potatoes.
And dill - I like the fresh green with "graved lax" and the seeds
with pickled gherkins, but that's it!

But cumin - well, that's another story. I don't like black cumin much
(too strong for me), but "normal" cumin, roasted, with garlic, hot
peppers, some vinegar and oil, mixed with blanched carrots - Heaven!
And in Indian food, of course - but that's where from they got their
stuff in Northern Africa ...

Bye, sanne.

Sainsbury's Roman Caraway Chicken recipe sought Mike[_38_] General Cooking 1 27-06-2008 06:02 PM
Caraway soup biig General Cooking 3 03-10-2005 01:25 PM
Baby Potatoes with Caraway Carrot Filling T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2005 03:44 AM
Noodles With Kielbasa, Cabbage And Caraway Seeds 7Hawks Recipes 0 16-11-2004 01:43 PM
Caraway seed substitue Doe John General Cooking 19 30-03-2004 01:33 AM