Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anthony Bourdain RIP

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 9:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy.* He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

This is the first I've heard of it. His book 'Kitchen Confidential' was
quite interesting. RIP.

Jill
Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 09:32:27 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

That is unexpected. From an outsider's perspective, it seemed he had
it all figured out.
Janet US
Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 9:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy.* He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

Yeah, he was quite a bad ass. On the surface, you'd think he had a fun
life traveling the world, meeting interesting people, eating all sorts
of interesting food. Not very good for having a family though. Sad way
to go.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:32:24 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

A tragedy for his family left to deal with this the rest of their lives.
No sympathy for the selfish ******* though.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 7:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy.* He was a very interesting guy.

I saw it. I was gunna post: "Bourdain Blows His Brains Out", but it was
hard to realize there wasn't a thread already existing.

Tony was a hard core "urban-ist" (I jes made that word up). I read his
seconnd book (Medium Raw) but got lost in all his 'thesaurus' nonsense
before I could finish.

Is what WAS interesting about him was that he had friends who did not
even know about his cooking career. They knew only about his writing
career! Talk about a 'compartmentalized' life.

He traveled the World, hung with the poor, yet lived the "high-life". I
don't know if he was "interesting" or not, but he was certainly weird.

nb
Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

That is unexpected. From an outsider's perspective, it seemed he had
it all figured out.

He wasn't one of those people where you're Oh he was so happy and
laughing all the time, and he did have heroin addiction in his past,
but I did not see that coming. And to let your friend find you?

I know he's got younger kids, too. He must have been really suffering,
I was very sorry to see that news greet me first thing.

nancy
Old 08-06-2018, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-08 10:34 AM, wrote:
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:32:24 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

A tragedy for his family left to deal with this the rest of their lives.
No sympathy for the selfish ******* though.

I would imagine that it takes a lot of pain and anguish for a person to
kill himself.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 10:48 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

He wasn't one of those people where you're Oh he was so happy and
laughing all the time, and he did have heroin addiction in his past,
but I did not see that coming.* And to let your friend find you?

I know he's got younger kids, too.* He must have been really suffering,
I was very sorry to see that news greet me first thing.

nancy

When I saw the headline it did not say suicide, but gave his age. Given
his lifestyle of drugs, smoking, drinking and whatever to excess, I'd
not be surprised.

I guess there are a lot of people that seem to have it all but really
have nothing in the way of true happiness and content.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-08 10:34 AM, wrote:

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:32:24 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

A tragedy for his family left to deal with this the rest of their lives.
No sympathy for the selfish ******* though.

I would imagine that it takes a lot of pain and anguish for a person to
kill himself.

Yep, a person who only thinks of themselves and does not think about the
pain and lifetime heartache and questions they leave behind.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-08 10:34 AM, wrote:
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:32:24 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy.* He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

A tragedy for his family left to deal with this the rest of their lives.
No sympathy for the selfish ******* though.

I would imagine that it takes a lot of pain and anguish for a person to
kill himself.

Possibly an untreated mental illness. Fashion designer Kate Spade
killed herself earlier this week. Depression?

The ads for depression medications often point out how people suffering
from depression put on a good face but are feeling miserable inside.
Their friends and family don't even know. It's sad.

All the recent news reports about suicide have had a caption at the
bottom with a toll free number to call if you need to talk to someone.

Jill
Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-08 10:34 AM, wrote:

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:32:24 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

A tragedy for his family left to deal with this the rest of their
lives.
No sympathy for the selfish ******* though.

I would imagine that it takes a lot of pain and anguish for a person to
kill himself.

Yep, a person who only thinks of themselves and does not think about the
pain and lifetime heartache and questions they leave behind.

Sometimes the note explains it all.

Cheri

Old 08-06-2018, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Possibly an untreated mental illness.* Fashion designer Kate Spade
killed herself earlier this week.* Depression?

The ads for depression medications often point out how people suffering
from depression put on a good face but are feeling miserable inside.
Their friends and family don't even know.* It's sad.

All the recent news reports about suicide have had a caption at the
bottom with a toll free number to call if you need to talk to someone.

Jill

I wonder if they are connected in an odd way. The adds for medication
and even the news gives phone numbers to call. OTOH, I wonder if all
the publicity from Kate Spade gave Tony the thought, "maybe it is a way
out" and thus tried it.

So many thing that never happened in the past become frequent after
publicity. School shootings, using trucks to run people over, car
jacking, etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-08 8:34 AM, wrote:
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:32:24 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I had a late start this morning and was surprised that no one else had
posted about the death of Anthony Bourdain.... by suicide. What a
tragedy. He was a very interesting guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

A tragedy for his family left to deal with this the rest of their lives.
No sympathy for the selfish ******* though.

Aren't you the perfect angel of mercy!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/8/2018 10:48 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

He wasn't one of those people where you're Oh he was so happy and
laughing all the time, and he did have heroin addiction in his past,
but I did not see that coming.* And to let your friend find you?

I know he's got younger kids, too.* He must have been really suffering,
I was very sorry to see that news greet me first thing.

When I saw the headline it did not say suicide, but gave his age.* Given
his lifestyle of drugs, smoking, drinking and whatever to excess, I'd
not be surprised.

Same here, I saw that he'd died and my first thought was oh no, then
I guess his heart gave out due to lifestyle. I didn't know it was
suicide until I looked at the article.

I guess there are a lot of people that seem to have it all but really
have nothing in the way of true happiness and content.

He sure seemed to have a lot of friends who cared about him. But
depression doesn't care, if that was the problem.

nancy